JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
I had this disorder for some years. It was largely caused by working in close proximity to an SOF. Being able to buy Kiton or Charvet ties for as low as $27.50 (as I sometimes could) was the next best thing to shoplifting! Retirement was the cure. I haven't bought a tie in over four years. I believe I have worn a tie three times in the past year.

Carguy

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I had this disorder for some years. It was largely caused by working in close proximity to an SOF. Being able to buy Kiton or Charvet ties for as low as $27.50 (as I sometimes could) was the next best thing to shoplifting! Retirement was the cure. I haven't bought a tie in over four years. I believe I have worn a tie three times in the past year.
Unfortunately, it appears that barring a miracle and I suddenly win the lottery, I'll be working until I'm 86, so I should have plenty of time to wear all of my ties. I like to think that I'll be the best dressed greeter ever at Wal-Mart! I'm already practicing...."Welcome to Wal-Mart, now get your ****, and get the hell out!" :biggrin:

Howard

Connoisseur
Oh no Howard, I don't need all of those ties! But like a poster above, once you become friends with Ted Baker, Ike Behar, and Bob Talbott, they are very demanding friends - always showing a different shade of themselves. eBay hasn't helped, nor has the fact that my tailor appears to have a second job as a crack dealer....the sad part is that there's probably 25 ties in there that I bought a) because they were "on sale", b) because I liked the color, and c) that I've never worn. I plan to have a tie sale soon, it's just hard for me to part with something for $20 or less, that I paid far more for....:devil:

Where do you store them?

Howard

Connoisseur
Actual need has nothing to do with these things, most often :biggrin:.

(BTW, I expect Carguy uses his ties for more tan just "occassions, weddings or parties", as you put it, I mean he probably uses them regularly. Some of us do :)).

I rarely wear ties myself but the only ties I would wear now are clip on's or pre-made ties.

Odradek

Elite Member
Actual need has nothing to do with these things, most often :biggrin:.

(BTW, I expect Carguy uses his ties for more tan just "occassions, weddings or parties", as you put it, I mean he probably uses them regularly. Some of us do :)).
Sadly, most people in my acquaintance would regard a wedding as just about the only occasion to wear a tie.
For years I only owned two vintage ties and choose between them whenever I had to attend a wedding or funeral.
Since starting to read AAAC three years ago, I have now amassed a collection of over fifty ties, but I rarely get to wear them.
Still, I do find myself drawn to buying more.
I've never worked in an office job, and my recent interest in sartorial matters are a mystery to others, not least my wife.
I can get away with wearing a decent shirt and a sportscoat most of the time, but if I put on a tie it just gets me puzzled questions or snide remarks.
These days, it seems that wearing a tie is a rebellious act.

Carguy

Howard,
This time you've crossed over the line.
Really Howard, I agree....surely you're kidding, right? I mean, I understand rarely wearing a tie, but a CLIP ON? I don't even want to imagine what a pre-made tie looks like....is that one of those ones with a zipper up the back? :confused2:

JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
I too was wondering what a "pre-made" tie was. You've got to remember that Howard has been doing this schtick for much longer than most active participants have been members.

dr.butcher

Maybe they will have a listing in the DSM 5, or whatever the latest psycho book about this, so I can blame it on someone else....

I began to "organize" my ties last night with my daughters helping, and what you will see below was the result. Mind you, this is probably only about HALF of my collection, less than half if you include the "don't wear those anymore hangar" pushed to the back of the closet. The results even stunned me. Know that there are 9 total containers, each holding 16-20 rolled ties.....

I see a "Ties for Sale" post in my very near future. I may need professional help! :confused2:
Was interesting to see how you store them, that's the biggest problem of a large tie collection. I hang them all up on tie hangers at the moment, but it's a really bad use of closet space....

I have the same problem, I can't stop buying ties. At first I thought 50 was a good goal... Then 100... then 200.... I wear a tie 7 days a week so that's a good excuse. I just had so many I started wearing casual ones on weekends when I went out to the movies or dinner or something like that. And still in the morning when I get dressed for work, I can never find a tie that goes with my suit/shirt/square/socks/etc and that I want to wear, which I always take as a sign that I need more ties?

Last edited:

Odradek

Elite Member
Was interesting to see how you store them, that's the biggest problem of a large tie collection. I hang them all up on tie hangers at the moment, but it's a really bad use of closet space....
I have 4 tie hangers, but yes, they do take up too much space in my small wardrobe.
Just pulled them out and counted, and including 2 cravats, I've got 59.
Think I need to switch to some sort of plastic box or tray with a lid that I can slide under the bed.

momsdoc

Connoisseur
I have 4 tie hangers, but yes, they do take up too much space in my small wardrobe.
Just pulled them out and counted, and including 2 cravats, I've got 59.
Think I need to switch to some sort of plastic box or tray with a lid that I can slide under the bed.
The problem with that is then you tend to forget what's what. My 3 tie racks and closet hanger seemed more than appropriate, but now most slots are double filled. I attempted to organize them by color scheme, but too many defy simple classification.

I would love to take an extra closet, partition it off and mount three tiered tie racks on each wall and place shoe racks on the floor, as I am running into the same problem finding where among the existing racks my shoes are. My fear is that this will make it way to obvious to my wife how extensive my hoarding has become. I rearranged my shoe racks last night and moved all my boots into boxes, surreptitiously stored below the guest rooms bed. I will swap out the spectators for them in the Fall. But I already cannot recall what is in the lower racks in the back. I have 6 racks in the closet, the rear ones up on blocks hoping to make them more visible, but even with LED lights glued to the walls I have trouble remembering what is in the back, and they are shoes that need to be in regular rotation.

Any other obsessive collectors have any solutions? Thinning the ranks is not an option, I already have placed the Nicole Miller and Jerry Garcia ties in storage. I can't seem to part with them, as they are iconic 1980's, and you never know when they will come in handy. I shudder at the thought that they will ever be in fashion again, except for a couple of Garcia's that are actually tasteful. They must have been designed during one of his brief sober moments.

Howard

Connoisseur
Really Howard, I agree....surely you're kidding, right? I mean, I understand rarely wearing a tie, but a CLIP ON? I don't even want to imagine what a pre-made tie looks like....is that one of those ones with a zipper up the back? :confused2:

A clip on tie is a tie that is already done for you, all you have to do is snip it on.

A zipper tie is a tie that is done for you and all you have to do is zipper it up to your liking.

Odradek

Elite Member
The problem with that is then you tend to forget what's what. My 3 tie racks and closet hanger seemed more than appropriate, but now most slots are double filled. I attempted to organize them by color scheme, but too many defy simple classification.

I would love to take an extra closet, partition it off and mount three tiered tie racks on each wall and place shoe racks on the floor, as I am running into the same problem finding where among the existing racks my shoes are. My fear is that this will make it way to obvious to my wife how extensive my hoarding has become. .
Very true. I don't think my wife has any idea how many ties I've managed to accumulate.

i did have one hanger for wool ties, a second for silk, and a third for oddball ties I should never have bought at all. Now I have a fourth, and the system is all mixed up.

Carguy

When I get back from Dallas on business, I will take a photo of my latest system. The boxes work well, unless you have 10 as I do.....LOL

dr.butcher

My fear is that this will make it way to obvious to my wife how extensive my hoarding has become.
+1

I have trouble remembering what is in the back, and they are shoes that need to be in regular rotation.
I'd suggest photos, possibly stored on your smartphone if you carry one, in a separate photo folder. This requires all the shoes to be pulled out and photographed one by one, but after this initial work it means you can easily see your entire collection without having to rummage through boxes and see which ones have been forgotten for a while and need to be pulled out and worn. As for ties, I'm still searching for good solutions. I still haven't worked out the best way to organise them.

dr.butcher

Is there anyone here who is actually a tie collector, as opposed to just an obsessive buyer? I imagine they would have good ways to store and organise their ties.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange