drpeter

O'Connell's sent me a reminder that their sale was on, so I decided to order a pair of stone blue flannels I had had my eye on for a while. It is usually $295, but was on sale for $236 plus $10 for shipping. Plain front, on-seam pockets, brace buttons, coin pocket and eighteen inch bottoms, cuffed at 1-3/4". Pretty classic. Overall I think this was a good deal. It will be here in a week's time. The lady who took my order over the telephone was very nice and helpful.

This is the first order I have placed at O'Connell's, although I have known about them for quite some time. In the seventies, when I was in graduate school in Rochester, NY, just a couple of hours from Buffalo, I had no idea that this shop existed! At that time, although my tastes were already pretty much what they are now, I had no idea there was a name for the styles I liked. One lives and learns.

I am looking forward to receiving these trousers. They will go well with many of the tweed jackets and navy blazers I possess. Here's a picture of these trousers from their website:

1612024982069.png

mrm21711

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I actually bought these a few years ago. Curious if yours are Hertling or another manufacturer.

They are what I considered to be an “impusle” or “splurge“ item. They aren’t the most versatile color, but they go well with a navy blazer and a small range of shirts/sweaters. They definitely stand out. Enjoy!

drpeter

Thanks. I'll check when the trousers arrive to see if it has a maker's label. Here's the history behind my purchase:

I actually thought about these trousers for a while before deciding to buy them. Some time ago, I posted a picture of Bruce Boyer wearing a beautiful pair of flannel trousers which was a bluish colour. I loved the colour and wanted to get a pair. It turned out that they were made of a mid-grey flannel cloth by Fox -- I remember that Andy checked with Mr Boyer himself about this! The bluish colour was some effect of the camera which took the shots in a certain light. People responded to this post, and some thought it was an Air Force Blue flannel. One person posted a picture of O'Connell's stone blue flannels, and it seemed fairly close. So I kept it in mind, and yesterday I took the plunge. I'll write here again after the trousers arrive.

Here's Bruce in his splendid flannels, I think they go very well with the gun club check of his jacket:

1612094867538.png

drpeter

I checked the Fox Brothers website and if you scroll down on the Cloth page, you will find a stack of bolts of flannel cloth. In the middle, there are several blues ranging from a deep cadet blue to a light royal blue. The top two bolts among the blues, the light royal blue and the slightly darker blue, best matchthe colour of Boyer's flannels in the picture, in my opinion . Here is the link, and below that, the image I was mentioned.

https://foxflannel.com/cloth

1612143119830.png

Last edited:

John M

I love them! I was actually hoping that their cotton twill trousers were also on sale but alas no dice. I will still be making more purchases soon.

TKI67

My all time favorite pair of dress pants was some grey flannels from 1966. In the outdoor light they had an extremely subtle bit of lavender in them. I just got a pair of Berle medium grey lightweight flannels from Hunter & Coggins and think they are lovely. I would definitely return to H&C for more Berles if the need should arise. They are a bargain.

never behind

I own 4 pairs of O’Connell’s flannels and love them. I have considered a blue pair as my next purchase since I have about every color of grey possible. I’d love to hear your thoughts on these, and if inclined, a picture would be most appreciated!

I am also interested if they are the new Made in Canada trousers. They told me they were the same cut as the old. The Canadian ones are supposed to be 12oz vs the 11oz Hertling-made.

fishertw

Advanced Member
My all time favorite pair of dress pants was some grey flannels from 1966. In the outdoor light they had an extremely subtle bit of lavender in them. I just got a pair of Berle medium grey lightweight flannels from Hunter & Coggins and think they are lovely. I would definitely return to H&C for more Berles if the need should arise. They are a bargain.
TK, I dont know whether you know Jim Hunter the owner or H&C or not, but he is one of the last of the old time clothiers and we are indeed lucky to have him and his shop. My wife sees a doctor in Asheville and we go there about four times a year for medical appointments. Almost without fail, I stop in to see Jim. If there are things that you want, he will surely go out of his way to find them for you. Being retired, I seldom have the need to buy things now but it is always a pleasure to spend a half hour or so chatting with him. Given the nature of the pandemic we are in, I hope his shop and those few remaining like his can weather this storm. Tom

TKI67

TK, I dont know whether you know Jim Hunter the owner or H&C or not, but he is one of the last of the old time clothiers and we are indeed lucky to have him and his shop. My wife sees a doctor in Asheville and we go there about four times a year for medical appointments. Almost without fail, I stop in to see Jim. If there are things that you want, he will surely go out of his way to find them for you. Being retired, I seldom have the need to buy things now but it is always a pleasure to spend a half hour or so chatting with him. Given the nature of the pandemic we are in, I hope his shop and those few remaining like his can weather this storm. Tom
I do not know him but have had prompt and clear replies to emails. I, like you, do not buy much these days, but when I do buy anything nice it usually comes from either Hunter & Coggins or O'Connell's. Cheers!

drpeter

I own 4 pairs of O’Connell’s flannels and love them. I have considered a blue pair as my next purchase since I have about every color of grey possible. I’d love to hear your thoughts on these, and if inclined, a picture would be most appreciated!

I am also interested if they are the new Made in Canada trousers. They told me they were the same cut as the old. The Canadian ones are supposed to be 12oz vs the 11oz Hertling-made.
I'm not sure if your question is intended for me in particular, or for the posters to this thread in general. But the picture I posted at the top of this thread, taken from the O'Connell's website, shows what the flannels look like.

Also, the information on the website states that these trousers were made in the United States. If there is any other information on the labels in the trousers when they arrive, I will post that information.

I went back and checked a number of the flannels on their website, the ones offered in the sale. Some of them (including dark and mid grey flannels) are indeed shown as 12 oz flannels made in Montreal, Canada. But others, including the stone blue ones I ordered, are 11 oz flannels made in the US

Last edited:

never behind

I'm not sure if your question is intended for me in particular, or for the posters to this thread in general. But the picture I posted at the top of this thread, taken from the O'Connell's website, shows what the flannels look like.

Also, the information on the website states that these trousers were made in the United States. If there is any other information on the labels in the trousers when they arrive, I will post that information.

I went back and checked a number of the flannels on their website, the ones offered in the sale. Some of them (including dark and mid grey flannels) are indeed shown as 12 oz flannels made in Montreal, Canada. But others, including the stone blue ones I ordered, are 11 oz flannels made in the US
I was hoping for a “live action” shot of the trousers to see them in the real world. Sounds like you have a Hertling pair. I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoy mine!

drpeter

I just received my stone blue flannels from O'Connell's. I'm delighted to say they are perfect! The cuffs are done exactly as I had wanted them -- precisely 1-3/4" as measured with Vernier accuracy, LOL. Above all, the stone blue-colour with elements of blue and grey in it, is also what I had in mind when I orderd these flannels. That kind of match is unusual in my experience. The inseam is just right and the fit is simply outstanding.

So I am most pleased with this purchase. I sent an email note of appreciation to them. I also said in that note that a Trad style jacket in the same material and colour would make a great suit, along with these trousers. I am sure they have grey flannel suits in their inventory, so I will have to explore their site a bit more.

As for labels, there is a red-on-black standard O'Connell's label and also a smaller tag which states it is made in USA and is 100% wool. No mention of any other name, like Hertling.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I just received my stone blue flannels from O'Connell's. I'm delighted to say they are perfect! The cuffs are done exactly as I had wanted them -- precisely 1-3/4" as measured with Vernier accuracy, LOL. Above all, the stone blue-colour with elements of blue and grey in it, is also what I had in mind when I orderd these flannels. That kind of match is unusual in my experience. The inseam is just right and the fit is simply outstanding.

So I am most pleased with this purchase. I sent an email note of appreciation to them. I also said in that note that a Trad style jacket in the same material and colour would make a great suit, along with these trousers. I am sure they have grey flannel suits in their inventory, so I will have to explore their site a bit more.

As for labels, there is a red-on-black standard O'Connell's label and also a smaller tag which states it is made in USA and is 100% wool. No mention of any other name, like Hertling.
They sound incredible. Love your suit idea. Enjoy and wear them in good health.

TKI67

A typical O'Connell's purchase impeccable goods and impeccable service. So happy for you! Interestingly every time I buy anything, especially if I specify cuffing, I am on tenterhooks until I receive them and confirm the details. Thankfully they have always been spot on. So I still have no idea how one would address miscuffed pants.

drpeter

A typical O'Connell's purchase impeccable goods and impeccable service. So happy for you! Interestingly every time I buy anything, especially if I specify cuffing, I am on tenterhooks until I receive them and confirm the details. Thankfully they have always been spot on. So I still have no idea how one would address miscuffed pants.
I was also similarly concerned, and even worried they may have got the inseam wrong -- I gave the information on the phone. But everything was done correctly.

My tailor would be able to fix miscuffed pants, provided there was sufficient cloth, so that would have been my solution. But O'Connell's included a return slip and instructions, with the statement that they would replace or refund if one was dissatisifed for any reason. I imagine they would send you another pair cuffed correctly if there was a problem.

mrm21711

That’s a hertling pair of trousers, you will be incredibly happy with them.

And OC would definitely make something right if there was any hint of error or mistake on their end. I’d recommend if you’re interested in a suit or jacket like you mentioned above, give them a call. Ethan is a pleasure to deal with (the old man not so much) and they some stock that is not on the website from what I hear.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.