TheUndertaker

The Andover Shop has also moved away from Hertling. They are still in business, with an online presence and no phone number to call. I sent them a message on Facebook. They did not respond. This doesn’t sound too promising.

mrm21711

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Interesting...didn’t notice that at the Andover Shop. Hertling‘s website seems up to date and they are promoting a holiday line. Wonder if they told these customers like OC and Andover they wouldn’t continue to make trousers for them.

DCR

Hertling sold about a year or so ago after Julius passed away. Whomever acquired them has had some production issues. I don't think they can contract manufacture like the previous entity.

Eligius

That makes me sad about the Andover Shop. I saw their website was now listing "Traditional Andover Fit" and "New Andover Fit". I was hoping the traditional was their prior Hertling "Gene" fit, and that the new was the "Straight" fit from the Hertling site. I bought a pair of the "Straight" fit during Hertling's direct sale a few months ago, and while the rise is a little lower and leg a little narrower, it's still nice. The last time I was physically in the shop (January), they had their usual piles of Gene fits. I'd love to hear if they are definitely moving on to someone else.

mrm21711

Hertling sold about a year or so ago after Julius passed away. Whomever acquired them has had some production issues. I don't think they can contract manufacture like the previous entity.
Im aware of the sale and passing of the torch after Julius passed away...I recall OC getting new Hertling offerings listed on their Just In webpage after the transition though. This makes me wonder if OC is moving away from them.

TheUndertaker

That makes me sad about the Andover Shop. I saw their website was now listing "Traditional Andover Fit" and "New Andover Fit". I was hoping the traditional was their prior Hertling "Gene" fit, and that the new was the "Straight" fit from the Hertling site. I bought a pair of the "Straight" fit during Hertling's direct sale a few months ago, and while the rise is a little lower and leg a little narrower, it's still nice. The last time I was physically in the shop (January), they had their usual piles of Gene fits. I'd love to hear if they are definitely moving on to someone else.
Luckily, I am less than an hour and a half away from the Andover Shop. They have purchased unbelievably beautifully trouser cloth (love their new khaki twill). For a small fee, their tailor will make them by hand to measure. I’m thrilled with this.

TheUndertaker

Interesting...didn’t notice that at the Andover Shop. Hertling‘s website seems up to date and they are promoting a holiday line. Wonder if they told these customers like OC and Andover they wouldn’t continue to make trousers for them.
The Andover shop has solved the problem. They have purchased beautiful trouser cloth (especially the new khaki twill). They are making them to measure for a very reasonable price. I am thrilled and just put in a substantial order.

DCR

The Gene fit is the best trouser pattern of all time. I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

The Andover shop has solved the problem. They have purchased beautiful trouser cloth (especially the new khaki twill). They are making them to measure for a very reasonable price. I am thrilled and just put in a substantial order.
Make sure you update us when they're completed. I didn't realize they would make trousers in house.

John M

It's funny because I was considering making a topic about Hertling and O'Connell's. The pair I just ordered and created the thread on was indeed a pair of Olive Plain Front Cotton Trousers.

I am not sure what colors I want to order next. I have ordered different sizes before but now that I know what language to say in terms of hemming so it can be perfect. : )

Eligius

Hertling doesn’t respond to emails and has no phone number. I should think it doesn’t look too promising
Yes, I am confused. From that I can see, their website is active and offering a new fall/winter collection. The "relaxed" fit seems reasonably close to a Gene. The products look great.

Their offering sales direct to customers is new. However, they don't list any stockists. I can't imagine they could stay afloat without private label manufacturing. But if they are, they seem to be undercutting their clients. The 8-wale cords on the site (which look great) are less expensive than what the Andover Shop has them listed for online, prior to the offered discount.

August West

The 8-wale cords on the site (which look great) are less expensive than what the Andover Shop has them listed for online, prior to the offered discount.
I would respectfully disagree, at least the picture I see on the website. That fit is way too trim for a wide wale cord (or any cord) IMO. I assume those are the "tapered" fit.

TheUndertaker

Yes, I am confused. From that I can see, their website is active and offering a new fall/winter collection. The "relaxed" fit seems reasonably close to a Gene. The products look great.

Their offering sales direct to customers is new. However, they don't list any stockists. I can't imagine they could stay afloat without private label manufacturing. But if they are, they seem to be undercutting their clients. The 8-wale cords on the site (which look great) are less expensive than what the Andover Shop has them listed for online, prior to the offered discount.
from what I have heard: Hertling is operating out of “someone else’s factory” in name only. Very sad, indeed.

TheUndertaker

You will be very pleased with anything purchased from the Andover Shop. Their tailors are top notch. I went for my first fitting on the khaki trousers I ordered. Measurements were spot on. The cloth is absolutely gorgeous. I will post pictures when finished.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals