WatchmanJimG

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Some of you may have seen the recent introduction of this O’Connell’s summer sport coat in Magee of Donegal's silk/cotton blend. I'd been meaning to add some dedicated summer pieces to my collection and it seemed just the thing. I definitely like it so far, especially when paired with one of the Robert Jensen ties O'Connell's ordered for this model.

OConnellsMagee1.jpg
OConnellsMagee2.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
Nice-looking jacket.

However...

In my experience, silk/cotton blends described as "summer" weight are about as hot as anything else.

Why? Because they are fully lined.

Admittedly, I tend to run hot. But I have run this experiment several times over the years, and I always came back to either a partially lined hopsack blazer or some sort of unlined, mostly unconstructed cotton jacket for summer use.

WatchmanJimG

Nice-looking jacket.

However...

In my experience, silk/cotton blends described as "summer" weight are about as hot as anything else.

Why? Because they are fully lined.

Admittedly, I tend to run hot. But I have run this experiment several times over the years, and I always came back to either a partially lined hopsack blazer or some sort of unlined, mostly unconstructed cotton jacket for summer use.
Thanks for the kind words. I don't disagree with your observations, and in my experience the best way to stay cool in hot weather is not wearing a jacket at all. 🤣

TKI67

Elite Member
Ages ago I had a silk/wool/linen houndstooth from BB that I got at Steinmart for about $79. It was undarted and 3/2. I found that the fabric was light enough and the fit sufficiently unconstricting that it was pretty comfortable in hot weather despite a lining. That said when it is extra hot and muggy I prefer unlined or half lined jackets, and my preferred fabrics are Madras, seersucker, and linen. A nice thing about those fabrics is that they remove all expectations of a crisp appearance!

Tweedlover

Thanks for the kind words. I don't disagree with your observations, and in my experience the best way to stay cool in hot weather is not wearing a jacket at all. 🤣
Very true. When I was still working my professional job and routinely wore jackets to work, I owned a silk blend, tan tweed which was quite light-weight. Loved it, but when temps hit the upper 80's+, any jacket can be too warm.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.