O'Connell's Visit 2021 . . .

WatchmanJimG

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Until this month it had been nearly two years since my last trip to NY to see the family. The lessening of COVID restrictions (at least for now) prompted me to make a brief visit, so inevitably a road trip to Buffalo was in order. As many of you are aware, I've purchased quite a number of O'Connell's more recent Empire-produced offerings but I wanted to scour the racks for any remaining old-stock merchandise from premier makers like Hilton, Oakloom, and Samuelsohn. Fortunately John and Ethan did not disappoint. Neither of the first two items depicted is featured on their website, which is probably the only reason they were still available for purchase. The earlier "O'Connell, Lucas, Chelf" labels are a giveaway to their vintage.

First up is a magnificent solid navy cashmere sport coat from Oakloom. This will see limited wear in our cooler months for sure:

OakloomBlue001.jpg
OakloomBlue002.jpg
OakloomBlue003.jpg

Next is a fantastic charcoal sharkskin 3/2 sack suit by Hilton. This one was a very pleasant surprise as I'd somehow overlooked it in prior visits. John was good enough to accommodate my request for surgeon's cuffs at their actual cost as this is considered "outside work" for them:

HiltonSuit001.jpg
HiltonSuit002.jpg
HiltonSuit003.jpg
HiltonSuit004.jpg

HiltonSuit005.jpg

I had initially left this houndstooth cashmere sport coat behind due to lingering concerns about my spending, but earlier today I had John box it up. We only live once, right?

Houndstooth001.jpg

Overall I couldn't be more pleased to have scored these rare items that are unlikely to be encountered in unworn condition in any other store on the planet. I hope you all enjoy the photos!

WatchmanJimG

Splendid purchases. I'm glad you were able to find these vintage items. Wear them all in good health!
Thanks for your kind words. It's almost bittersweet knowing that this opportunity will never be available again, but I'm hoping O'Connell's will continue to source quality new pieces seasonally.

WatchmanJimG

Sorry I meant the houndstooth cashmere (I’ve had my eye on one for the fall). I assume Oakloom too
I’m pretty sure it’s also an Oakloom but the visible label only states the fiber content. I can confirm when it arrives tomorrow.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange