fishertw

Advanced Member
As a teen (60 years ago) I favored Thane and Alan Paine V neck lambswool sweaters. Todays Press that I got via email made me think about why I prefer the ones from O'Connells. My preference has always been for about 5-6" turn back tightly knitted sleeves. I have about 6-8 from O'Connells, Barbour and some really old ones from Lands End about 25 years ago. Todays Press add shows great looking lambswool V neck colors but with only about 3" cuffs that would hardly turn back at all.
What's your preference or do you care about one way or another. I bought one Alan Paine a year or so ago which had the shorter cuffs and find I wear it infrequently just because of that. Thoughts??

drpeter

In general, I prefer sweater cuffs to be the correct length so that I don't need to fold them back. I like the way the cuff looks (without any fold-back) on my wrist or over my shirt cuffs. If I find a sweater I really like, but with longer sleeves, then I don't mind picking it up, and turning the cuffs back to fit the length of my arm, as long as the cuffs are not thick. This is easiest on cashmere sweaters and hardest with thicker cable-knits or cotton sweaters.

TKI67

Surely there are a few days in Austin cool enough for a sweater. Or maybe I'm wrong.
Well, today is in the low nineties. Last year I spotted the first blooming peach tree, heralding spring, on January 1. We had no hard freezes. So the window for sweaters is very narrow. You need to squeeze any tweed jackets or other cool weather items into an awfully short span. I have a navy Shetland. That is more than enough!

fishertw

Advanced Member
Had frost four times already this year here in NC mountains. Two wood stove fires and have worn sweaters about ten days so far. Rode with the top down in my wife’s Miata yesterday to see the fall colors on the Blue Ridge Parkway but had the heater on and a lambs wool sweater from O’Connells. Beautiful time of year,

G

Guest-11475

I own both, and prefer the Press one, mainly due to fit. I find the O'Connells sweater to be very boxy.

Also, like the fact that the Press "V" isn't as deep.

Last edited by a moderator:

fishertw

Advanced Member
I own both, and prefer the Press one, mainly due to fit. I find the O'Connells sweater to be very boxy.

Also, like the fact that the Press "V" isn't as deep.
I guess I'm just a traditionalist having grown up with deeper V neck and turn back sleeves. Sort of a 60's thing I guess.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.