orange fury

Connoisseur
Hadn't seen anything like this before, and it was cheap enough that I figured I could find a way to work it into outfits. A BB Country Club 70/30 silk/cotton long sleeve polo sweater:

smoked pearl MOP buttons:

as an aside, I've really grown to like a lot of the BBCC stuff- good fabrics and overall construction

Duvel

Connoisseur
I'm forgoing the BB sale this time around, instead keeping sights (and funds!) set on an O'Connell's sweater and perhaps a J. Press shirt or two.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
OF,

That's a great polo sweater - the materials, stitching and style make it a very refined garment that, IMHO, would look great with dress pants (light grey, cotton and flax or linen ones) or very tailored summer chinos as a way to be more dressed up than just khakis and a polo shirt, but not full on tie, etc.

The key - and you are great at this - is getting the "weight" of the materials in the outfit to harmonize. If I'm seeing it right (and my monitor hacks up a piece of lung every morning when I fire up the computer, so who knows), it looks - and the materials sound - summer weight which is why I suggested refined summer weight pants. And I would lean toward a dress belt and dress shoes or refined loafers.

But what do I - and my 15 inch sputtering monitor really know - enjoy, it's a beautiful garment.

DoghouseReilly

Hadn't seen anything like this before, and it was cheap enough that I figured I could find a way to work it into outfits. A BB Country Club 70/30 silk/cotton long sleeve polo sweater:

smoked pearl MOP buttons:

as an aside, I've really grown to like a lot of the BBCC stuff- good fabrics and overall construction
Polo sweaters haven't come up very often here. What do you all think of them? How do you wear them? I was wearing one over a OCBD for a period of time.

Duvel

Connoisseur
These little devils were waiting for me on the doorstep tonight. They said, "Winter is coming, Duvel!"

Details, give us details, you say. Sure. Sullivan's deer skin with contrasting piping from O'Connell's, approximately $75. Soft, supple, warm. Advice: Go up a little in the given size. I measured a large but went with an extra-large, and the fit is perfect.

Last edited:

CornoUltimo

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
A small acquisition today: a gitman bros madras pocket square from STP. The folks at Sierra trading post were kind enough to email me a gift card for whatever reason so this pocket square didn't cost me a dime.

tocqueville

Suspended
My big splurge this month: I've gone audiophile. I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic headphones and a headphone amp. Bliss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orange fury

Connoisseur
Thanks FF and DR. It is a lighter weight, so gray wool trousers was the main thought I had.

Courtesy of Marshall's today, an RLPL polo (not every day you can find a RLPL polo for the same price as a PRL polo) and BB tie:

Ahh, Marshall's- keep doing what you do.

Woofa

Polo sweaters haven't come up very often here. What do you all think of them? How do you wear them? I was wearing one over a OCBD for a period of time.
Doghouse,

I think that RL stuff is so varied and has been made in such quanities for so long now that it is difficult to give an accurate appraisal. For my part, I have always felt that their sweaters, like their polo shirts (at least the older ones) are very good quality for the price and will last a long time. I think that the older blue label polo by RL will range in quality anywhere from good to excellent and of course they have colors and styles across their range of labels that are hard to find anywhere else. If you can access their items from the purple label and RRL collections you can find some truly wonderful sweaters (note that these are certainly not cheap when bought new and not meant for everyday buyers of RL.) If he is available, DRL can perhaps give us a better review as he seems to have spent some time working for the company in the past.
As to how to wear them well this is the trad forum so over an OCBD is always a great option, especially with corduroys.

Last edited:

Flairball

Okay, a little late posting, but two new pair of glasses. The prescription glasses I actually bought last month. The shades I bought over the weekend.

orange fury

Connoisseur
Doghouse,

I think that RL stuff is so varied and has been made in such quanities for so long now that it is difficult to give an accurate appraisal. For my part, I have always felt that their sweaters, like their polo shirts (at least the older ones) are very good quality for the price and will last a long time. I think that the older blue label polo by RL will range in quality anywhere from good to excellent and of course they have colors and styles across their range of labels that are hard to find anywhere else. If you can access their items from the purple label and RRL collections you can find some truly wonderful sweaters (note that these are certainly not cheap when bought new and not meant for everyday buyers of RL.) If he is available, DRL can perhaps give us a better review as he seems to have spent some time working for the company in the past.
As to how to wear them well this is the trad forum so over an OCBD is always a great option, especially with corduroys.
A couple things. First, I think Doghouse was referring to the style of sweater, not the company (this sweater is from the Country Club line by Brooks Brothers). In any case, my experience with Ralph Lauren lines, fwiw:

PRL/Blue Label- almost all of it is produced offshore now, but Ive found that their stuff is still solidly made. The "Custom Fit" stuff actually fits me really well off the rack, but supposedly its a difficult fit to nail down for most people. My only problem with PRL is that they throw the damn pony on everything.

RLPL- Fantastic quality, top of the RL lines, and easily some of the nicest stuff I own- all MoP buttons, mostly made in Italy, and better fabrics/construction. I could never afford to buy the stuff at retail prices (which tend to be very overinflated), but it's great stuff when discounted. They do outsource most of their stuff to other companies (Lorenzini used to make the shirts, I believe Caruso made the suits at one time, etc), but they're all companies that are good at what they do. Also, no logos.

I have a big soft spot for RL because it was the first "nice" clothing I ever owned, and it carried me through college. It also served as the gateway to me dressing better overall, so there's that. If anyone is interested, I can post some pics comparing similar PRL and RLPL shirts.

Tempest

Honors Member
Alas, I violated my self imposed shopping hiatus, to purchase two BB woven cotton, D-Ring belts; one in a navy and red pattern and the second in a navy and green pattern. Originally priced at $50, I picked them up for a pittance at $9.73 apiece...and they should be suitable for a more tropical wardrobe! ;)
Pattern? Stripes or something else?

orange fury

Connoisseur
Cooler weather is quickly approaching (it's still in the 90's here), which means tattersall season:

(Also, RLPL black knit tie)

i love the colors on this shirt though:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange