Men's Clothing Forums banner

October Acquisitions

26K views 139 replies 43 participants last post by  Fading Fast 
#1 ·
I guess I'm starting this one off with some pretty underwhelming stuff. In the mail, I received a package from Lands End and a package from Dann Online.

From Lands End I received a pair of long rise chinos. I was kind of disappointed that even their long rise traditional fit is still shorter in the crotch than what I'm used to from Bills or O'Connell's. They're also kind of large in the waist, I suppose due to vanity sizing or whatever. Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for.

From Dann I received a pair of Berle pumpkin orange chinos, which I've been trying to find for a while. For whatever reason Eddie Jacobs, my usual source for Berle, couldn't obtain them. These are a real disappointment as apparently Berle has changed their fit and really shortened the crotch. I had assumed they would fit like all of my previous Berle trousers, so I ordered them pre-cuffed and I doubt I will be able to return them.

I think my lesson is that I should just get all of my pants from SSEW from now on, as they will give me the generous 12" rise I want and all I have to do is ask.

On a brighter note, today Chris at J. Press finalized my order for a custom unconstructed sport jacket from Southwick.

See less See more
#28 ·
So... No love for Rowenta or Advent around here, eh.
I missed both of those. No stereo knowledge (housemates had a great one, made me appreciate our thick walls and forgiving neighbors), but I'm using a similar Rowenta and it's fantastic, though yours is a cooler color.

#29 ·
I treated myself to some neckwear that was on sale at my local BB factory store.

The Head of the Charles tie was a really exciting find as I've never seen them sold outside of the event itself, which is coming up in just a couple weeks time.

The middle two ties are wool, and I really like the colors for fall.

The far left is a Golden Fleece tie in Prince of Wales check, I have a second one currently for sale in the exchange.

#30 ·
I treated myself to some neckwear that was on sale at my local BB factory store.

The Head of the Charles tie was a really exciting find as I've never seen them sold outside of the event itself, which is coming up in just a couple weeks time.

The middle two ties are wool, and I really like the colors for fall.

The far left is a Golden Fleece tie in Prince of Wales check, I have a second one currently for sale in the exchange.
Very nice! Interestingly, I have the same HOCR tie in burgundy that I bought at a marshalls here in Houston about 6 months ago- there were 4 or 5 when I bought it. Kind of odd I thought.

#32 ·
Adoucett, great score - all four look really nice. I love wool ties for the fall and winter as they feel right to me both for the season and with the heavier sweaters and jackets I wear. The Prince of Wales check looks like it is wool or wool/silk blend - is it?
Thank you Fading Fast,

The Prince of Wales is a blend, I think something like 70/30. Incredibly soft with a nice hand!

If I had more funds at my disposal, I would have picked up even more, but there are other purchases I must prioritize over ties!

#36 ·
Just pulled the trigger on this Viyella. Of course it's still in the 70s here so it will be a few weeks before I'll be able to wear it.
I purchased my first Viyella in early Sept. and have just about baked to death every time I put it on. That is one warm shirt! Good thing I live in Minnesota, it will come in handy in a few months..or days, who knows.

#42 ·
I think I'm fairly well set for cooler weathers after my latest round of acquisitions, entirely funded from consigning the culls from a closet purge. First are four cold-weather jackets, leading with the two 100% cashmere:

Then Harris tweed:

and lastly a patch-pocket 3/2 corduroy sack from Brooks Brothers:

Next a couple nice pairs of boots:

And lastly, a bit out of season and a bit of a risk in sizing, are these navy suede Carmina pennies. They're a half-size smaller than what I normally wear, but reviews say the Xim last runs a little large and handsewns fit a bit more tightly and stretch more than your average GYW shoe. Plus the seller takes returns, I've really been itching for a pair of navy suede loafers, and the price was irresistible:

#44 ·
Rube - that first jacket and those suede loafers are stunning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fingers crossed the loafers work out. Already had a pair of navy suede AE cavannaugh 2nds fall through on me when I didn't size correctly, and while club monacco has navy suede patriots in stock, I wanted something just a smidge more casual than a welted pinchpenny though not quite as full-bore casual as a chunky beetroll. I also couldn't quite bring myself to spend anywhere near full-price on such a frivolous shoe. These were $200 and the only reason I even stretched that far was that I could justify them as paid for by and a reward for trimming down my closet (and consequently, trimming down my waistline about a year ago).

The hard part is still ahead, however. I have to decide what gets pulled to make room for these guys . . .

#45 ·
Fingers crossed the loafers work out. Already had a pair of navy suede AE cavannaugh 2nds fall through on me when I didn't size correctly, and while club monacco has navy suede patriots in stock, I wanted something just a smidge more casual than a welted pinchpenny though not quite as full-bore casual as a chunky beetroll. I also couldn't quite bring myself to spend anywhere near full-price on such a frivolous shoe. These were $200 and the only reason I even stretched that far was that I could justify them as paid for by and a reward for trimming down my closet (and consequently, trimming down my waistline about a year ago).

The hard part is still ahead, however. I have to decide what gets pulled to make room for these guys . . .
I've had a really tough time with the Cavanaughs. I was never able to figure out a size that worked, plus the soles are stiff, which just makes the heels slip even more.

I have a pair of royal blue suede Sebagos that I've gotten lot's of wear from over the past two years, but I'm not in love with the beef rolls.

Those Carminas have a great Santoni-ish look, not quite flat strap, not quite beef roll, fold-over stitch on the plug. Like a Penny Loafer and a Bit Loafer had a child.

#46 ·
I've had a really tough time with the Cavanaughs. I was never able to figure out a size that worked, plus the soles are stiff, which just makes the heels slip even more.

I have a pair of royal blue suede Sebagos that I've gotten lot's of wear from over the past two years, but I'm not in love with the beef rolls.

Those Carminas have a great Santoni-ish look, not quite flat strap, not quite beef roll, fold-over stitch on the plug. Like a Penny Loafer and a Bit Loafer had a child.

I've come to feel the same way about beetrolls, they don't really have the flexibility of a good pinchpenny. They're at or just above the formality of a ranger mocs in my mind and I'd rather wear the rangers. I can go out for a hike in the rangers, even been out on a few jogs in them.

I considered buying a pair of cheap navy suede loafers, but I could never find a pair that I liked. They were always a few shades lighter than navy, with white/colorful contrast stitching and a natural leather or red gum sole. I wanted something darker, a true navy suede with tonal or subtly contrasting stitching and a dark sole. Plus I've been kinda spoiled by my other shoes at this point. A cheap loafer, likely with a synthetic insole, canvas liner, and/or stiff leather just wouldn't be as comfortable as my other shoes, so it wouldn't get worn as much.

What'd you think of AE's Sea Island webgem? I was sorely tempted by the tan and brown options, they looked like the perfect unstructured, lightweight, slipper-ish summer shoe.

#47 ·
They were borderline for me. I had ordered a pair of blue suede Concord Ave loafers, which were similarly constructed, and they were flexible in the way I wanted a loafer to be, but they were almost too floppy for me. I need something flexible, but still supportive.

The Sebagos work for me because they have room for orthotics, but are otherwise very lightly constructed. The only AE loafers I've really found comfortable are the Italians, which are sturdy, but flexible.

i've also done well with Rancourt. I probably just need to bite the bullet and limit myself to buying customs from Rancourt or higher end Italian loafers and reserve AE and Alden for heavier lace ups.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

#48 ·
Your pictures are really great. I would have assumed stock but even that would not blend as well with borders. Whatever you are doing keep it up and if I ever decide to open an EBAY store, I am heading your way for advice. Only Brianpore on TOF is better when he does his 360 degree photos.

I needed (well...wanted) a few new blazers:

Also awaiting a couple of Harris Tweeds blazers. Pics up when they arrive.

One can never have too many shirts.

Justifying this all as a birthday treat to myself. :great:

#51 ·
How many watts?

(Photo not mine.) I also scored a pair of 1970s-vintage original Baby Advents to pair with my large Advents. I love Advent loudspeakers. I picked up the Babys for $50 yesterday in Goodwill--they work, sound lovely, and they have the original grill and Advent metal stickers--as well as the original paper that Advent used to staple to the back side.

I did a sound comparison between the large and the Babys. The large ones are definitely a bit louder, but the sound from both is incredibly alike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.