MaxBuck

Advanced Member
... after a few wearings the synthetic materials begin to compress and deteriorate.
If by "a few wearings," you mean a thousand miles or so, I agree.

Modern running shoes are built to last anywhere from a couple hundred miles (typically racing shoes) to about a thousand. If you walk 6 miles a day, that's roughly half a year assuming you wear the same shoes every day (which we know is not ideal). Personally, for walking, I've gotten well over two thousand miles without noticing any significant ill effects.

Quetzal

Suspended
I'm not really a Boat Shoe guy, unless if I'm actually on a boat (they are, after all, the original flip-flops). But for casual/walking shoes (I do A LOT of walking, I never drive unless if I have to), I wear either those Dr. Scholl's shoes from Wal-Mart (yes, you may begin to throw tomatoes, but they are VERY comfortable for walking) or shoes from Lands' End, as they sell (or at least did, for I bought mine at the Warehouse Clearance Event) nice shoes with thicker, more comfortable soles. Though my casual generally consists of a shirt and slacks, worn from the city to Disney World.

-Quetzal

Stubbly

In recent years, I've been unimpressed with the durability and comfort of my Sperry boat shoes.

My newest pair of boat shoes is made by ECCO. They cost a little more than Sperry, but if you shop around you can find them on sale. I like my ECCO boat shoes a lot, however I wouldn't wear them for walking more than a few blocks. Comfort aside, even for walking a short distance a surface such as concrete pavement could cause excessive wear.

10gallonhat

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I might need to look more into some higher quality camp mocs (which up until now I've been referring to as "boat shoes" as well as I didn't know there was much functional difference style to style).

I appreciate the sneaker / walking shoe suggestions but would prefer not to do that. I have sneakers that are very comfortable that I use for exercise, but I prefer to leave them at home when it comes to walking around town. Plus you never know when you'll feel like popping into a nice restaurant so I generally like to be in at least boat shoes or drivers with chinos and a polo or sport shirt - I retired the t-shirt + sneakers thing awhile ago.

Fading Fast - those chukkas look very cool. Is there any info on here about various shoes like that? I've heard of bucks, bluchers, chukkas, etc but I just group them all into the "suede laceup" category. My shoe collection is severely lacking when it comes to shoes with actual laces; I think I only own 2 pairs at the moment :rolleyes2:

jenkinboy

Starting Member
I'm quite loyal to my top-siders (Sperry) that mine is a bit worn out but if you still want to use your boat shoes try inserting a gel cushion inside the shoes so it's more comfortable. Or if you're buying another one make sure there's a bit of cushion/fabric inside the wall of the shoes so wouldn't get any blisters.

espressocycle

Allen Edmonds Voyager are my #1 most comfortable walking shoes ever. Made more so by the fact that they have removable orthotics which I replaced with ones you heat up in the oven and mold to your foot. I can't wear many shoes without socks though, my feet sweat too much and then blister.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.