Old school stiff blue jeans: do they still exist?

a tailor

Honors Member
for that heavy stiff old style jean. try a farm supply store. or a hardwear store that has a work clothes dept. menards home improvement store also has those jeans.

tiealign

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Very interesting. I do like the idea of having jeans almost as tough as me.
But at $200+ a pair for Samurais I'd buy a pair of my regular jeans and have another pair sewn inside as a liner to get nearly the same effect.
They would be twice as stiff, twice as tough, twice the thickness and just plain old dopy looking would be the result I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know fabric that thick was available for jeans.
I'll do a search and see if some place locally has something that thick in a style that works for me.
I've thought about buying a big sheet of drop cloth canvas and have a tailor make some pants for me. I'm sure it would be dopier than double layered denim jeans.

You wont find 21oz denim outside of the small outfits in Japan like Samurai. The heaviest denim you will generally find is 15oz which is still very heavy but remember that weight isn't all that maters in the durability of the denim.

dwebber18

I will 3rd the recommendation of a tractor supply store. They will have some stiff demin pants probably by Carhartt or Wrangler. I saw some 15oz denim jeans on Carhartt's website and 14.5 oz denim on Wranglers. This will keep you under $50 a pair and you can try them on before you buy them.

barrettdudley

Starting Member
Jean Shop: Soho or LA

https://www.worldjeanshop.com/

Walked in last time I was in the city, it's one of the coolest shops I've ever been in. Kind of a combination of Old West with a modern twist. They specialize in raw selvage denim from Japan as do many of the labels people have mentioned. I didn't know about all of their accolades when I stepped in, but the employees are extremely knowledgeable, make you feel quite at home, and will even offer you a shot of tequila.

There thing is that you choose from three different cuts and then you can either choose a bunch of different options and coatings and finishes and washes, etc. etc. which bumps up the price (already starting at $267 for the raw, untouched pair) or you can just take the jeans in their raw form and create your own look by the path you take the jeans on. That's what I chose, and although they were expensive, I got what I paid for.

They are awesome, awesome jeans. I washed them once to shrink them down a little bit and haven't washed 'em since and they are now well broken in. I got them about four months ago. They have maintained a classic, dark look and I couldn't be happier with them. If you're ever passing through Soho, you should at least just step in and have a look.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.