Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
For those (let no names be mentioned) whose best-beloveds are concerned about one's trouser size, I strongly recommend sitting down in front of the television and watching this. It's all about staying alive . . .

Flanderian

Connoisseur
For those (let no names be mentioned) whose best-beloveds are concerned about one's trouser size, I strongly recommend sitting down in front of the television and watching this. It's all about staying alive . . .
[email protected]! Never knew I was that healthy! ;)

Watched this on PBS with my SWMBO last evening. (She's a retired registered dietitian.)

Very well done, both informative and entertaining. Thanks for the link! I may watch it again to better digest some of the counterintuitive research described.

Some of the most surprising concerned the true versus the assumed correlation between exercise, caloric consumption and weight. And the phenomenon of an individual who lost a great deal of weight that actually depressed his caloric consumption, and it remained in that depressed state even after he regained a good deal of the weight he had lost. Not a simple mater at all.

I knew of one characteristic of too rapid weight loss, in that it causes the body to consume some muscle tissue for energy, and that the heart muscle can be affected significantly. Knew one poor guy of 50 who did that, then went out to help a neighbor shovel snow, and died of a heart attack.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I'm going to have to convince SWMBO to watch the video recommended by Oldsarge, this evening. Although, I may never regain the 30"/31" waist I had when we first met (and perhaps that wouldn't be a healthy thing to do), I do hope to grind my waist measurement back to a svelte 36"! ;)

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
My wife and I are both on the Optivia plan. She has lost 60lbs and I have lost 30. I am currently at 200. I have gone from a tight 38” waist to a loose 36 with the goal of hitting 34 sometime this summer. I was a 32 in high school and weighed 160, but I believe that I filled out a bit in my early 20s so a 34 and about 180 seems a realistic goal to attain by the holiday season.

Cheers,

BSR

richard warren

I’ve weighed around 185 for around theory years. When I start to get fatter I ride my bicycle more. Bike riding beats other exercise because I can do it enjoyably for very long periods of time.

You’ll have a hard time convincing me that the human body somehow transcends the laws of physics so that an increase in weight is not caused by a surplus of energy input (i.e.. food) over energy expended by the system, both factors that can be regulated by a healthy person.

Really heavy people who lose a lot of weight start out with a set point in a system that has been abused.

The best ways to lose weight I know of in addition to bike riding are getting fired and falling in love. Of the two, getting fired may be the safest and cheapest, particularly if you’re married.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
This family's SWMBO has always prepared very healthy, balanced meals (she comes from the "least obese" nation on Earth), so food-wise I've long been set.

(She's one of these rare women whose the same size now that she was when we met - she was 19 (49 now) - and even after the birth of our daughter, she was only 5lbs heavier. Which was quickly lost. Benefits of both a disciplined diet and, I'm sure, genetics, since she doesn't exercise enough!)

I typically exercise 2-4 hours daily in total (meaning that could be an hour at the gym, a two hour cycling tour or walk, and an hour of tennis, or some combination of fitness, cardio, and sports), and I long ago understood that what impacts my waistline (at 53) is *food*, not activity.

During this lockdown, I am still exercising (thank the gods of urban planning for cycling trails), but I am now confined to *home-cooked meals only*. I have shed 4-5 lbs. It shows how even my (healthy) lunches out and occasional office nibbling add up. And we're eating a lot! And baking!

(Granted, my strength training regimen is on hold - I never bothered to install a weight room at the house - but I'm cycling/walking more daily, and I'm doing a daily yoga practice now.)

Probably what kills even healthy Americans is that we're so out-and-about, and so we rely on convenience foods.

(Still, when this thing is over, I'm heading straight to my favorite Mexican cafe for a breakfast burrito and cafe de olla...)

DH

Big T

I'm like our house beagle: I eat whatever is placed in front of me. My wife loves sweets and pastries, and though she could lose 10 pounds, she is definitely not considered overweight. Me, on the other hand, could lose 30, and when I "suggest" less sweets, carbs, etc., the language is, less than "savory" and dear wife reminds me of what my mother told her before we wed, over 40 years ago, that if I don't like what's placed before me, then make nothing at all.

Again, I'm like our house beagle. I think I'll go for a walk. Happy Easter to one and all!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.