Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant

I think he pretty much nails it. Virtue is what you do, not what you wear.

Hellbent

The world in general has gotten better. Globalism has greatly improved the lives for people in poor countries. Not as much for many people of the western world. Some of which see "their" factories being closed down, their work being outsourced to countries where labor cost is lower. It's is not at all surprising that there is a lot of people for whom their life and future looks worse than that of the previous generation.

He proceeds to criticize manners, it seems? Based on the fact that manners and etiquette were used by some "evil" people 150 years ago to suppress the poor.
My paternal grandfather was working class, and the most kind and well mannered man I have ever met. I can assure you he did not feel suppressed by having to show good manners, or dressing his best for church or for my birthdays.

This world, this society, which the author celebrates as the best, was built by people for whom manners mattered. In maybe 50 years we will see how the world looks as a result of how we behave today.

I agree with, to some extent, that you should not judge a man based on his appearance. But you should judge a man who refuses to follow dress codes. And maybe also a man, who out of laziness chooses to present himself in an awful way. Dress for others for the same reason as you put on deodorant after you take a shower. Looking bad is no better than smelling.

richard warren

The world has gotten better, and the dieworkwear guy seems to be against everything that made it so.

It’s the same contradiction found in people who bemoan white male oppression even though white males were the first and possibly only people to arrive at the conclusion of the universal worth and dignity of all people.

Perhaps that conclusion in the case of people like the dieworkwear guy was wrong.

delicious_scent

The world has gotten better, and the dieworkwear guy seems to be against everything that made it so.

It’s the same contradiction found in people who bemoan white male oppression even though white males were the first and possibly only people to arrive at the conclusion of the universal worth and dignity of all people.

Perhaps that conclusion in the case of people like the dieworkwear guy was wrong.
welp, now i've heard it all

Color 8

"Adrian Wooldridge opining about the modern world . . . Nearly all of his articles follow the same formula. He bemoans the lack of etiquette and grace in today’s society, and then ends with a heavy-hearted sigh.*

Let me summarize the most popular Old Guy topics of the last 6,000 years :

1. Everything was great [xx] years ago, and everything is terrible now.

2. Young people aren't as well-mannered, respectful, virtuous, [xxxx] as they used to be.

3. Everything costs a lot more than it used to.

The Die, Workwear guy who wrote the article criticizing Wooldridge will BE Wooldridge in 30 years :D

delicious_scent

"Adrian Wooldridge opining about the modern world . . . Nearly all of his articles follow the same formula. He bemoans the lack of etiquette and grace in today’s society, and then ends with a heavy-hearted sigh.*

2. Young people aren't as well-mannered, respectful, virtuous, [xxxx] as they used to be.

The Die, Workwear guy who wrote the article criticizing Wooldridge will BE Wooldridge in 30 years :D
Depends on the old guy, I haven't seen Oldsarge do that once.

Color 8

Depends on the old guy, I haven't seen Oldsarge do that once.
Well, statistically there are always exceptions, of course, but on average . . .

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Egads! You have described me so well. :icon_scratch: LOL.

JBierly

Advanced Member
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

Reading this reminds me of heated debates in my senior english class. Of the course clothes don't make the man - the man makes the man. It helps if he has some nice clothes on....

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

Reading this reminds me of heated debates in my senior english class. Of the course clothes don't make the man - the man makes the man. It helps if he has some nice clothes on....
The profundity of the point you make in the post quoted above rests heavily on my mind. I recall a time when I was assigned at Vandenburg AFB, CA, being trained to be a SAC trained, steely eyed Cold War warrior, when on a day off from our training a number of us set off on a quest to find one of the fabled nude beaches rumored to be located in that part of California. In a high state of youthful agitation we found such a beach and expecting much in the form of bronzed beach beauties we stepped onto the beach. There were indeed nudists on that beach, but frankly not one of them should have taken their clothes off and would have been better served leaving their respective clothing on. We wear these fine clothes of ours for a reason...to cover up a whole lot of ugly! Nuff said. LOL. ;)

PS: I don't think it qualifies as PTSD, but I still have flashbacks/nightmares of that day on the beach

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.