One Good Example of the Desireability of Rise and Pleats:

Checkerboard 13

Senior Member<br>Moderator
2itqyc4.jpg

(And for you youngsters who say, "I'm fit. I don't need to worry about that sort of thing," bear in mind that this particular gentleman was once more fit than you could ever be... even in your wildest dreams.)

JBierly

Elite Member
Yes, but I struggle to envision him on the sidelines with high rise trousers, a single forward pleat, and NFL sanctioned 49ers Braces. Would definitely look better though.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Checkerboard 13: Thank-you, thank-you, Oh thank-you so very much! Your OP makes me feel so much better about my present physical state as I age out! LOL. ;) Whether we are professional athletes or just weekend warriors, we should never, ever let the personal diet and exercise regimen(s) slip.

zzdocxx

Honors Member
Checkerboard I think you have given an illustration of the opposite of your thread title and it might be helpful now to show some examples of a "good" rise.

Grayson

When I was in my teens I worked out for size. In my twenties I worked out for strength. In my thirties I worked out for fitness.

Now I work out so I don't get boobs.

srmd22

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Checkerboard 13: Thank-you, thank-you, Oh thank-you so very much! Your OP makes me feel so much better about my present physical state as I age out! LOL. ;) Whether we are professional athletes or just weekend warriors, we should never, ever let the personal diet and exercise regimen(s) slip.

Too late for me.

When I was in my teens I worked out for size. In my twenties I worked out for strength. In my thirties I worked out for fitness.

Now I work out so I don't get boobs.

Too late for me, lol. No, JK, but I wonder if it is far off. I may need a murse to go with them.

upthewazzu

He was a quarterback, so don't get ahead of yourself. I'm 30 and very slim, so are you telling me that because I might get fat one day I should start wearing high rise pants with pleats right now?

Checkerboard 13

Senior Member<br>Moderator
He was a quarterback, so don't get ahead of yourself.
Please forgive me, but I have no idea of what you are trying to say by this.

I'm 30 and very slim, so are you telling me that because I might get fat one day I should start wearing high rise pants with pleats right now?

I have not told you anything yet, however I will now suggest that you will look better right now, today, if you wear well-cut, pleated trousers.. at your waist, where they belong.

As an illustration, I've borrowed this example from a self-appointed expert, who believes the look on the right is the "correct" look.

Note that both models are quite trim.

Although the model on the left has his hands stuffed in both trouser pockets, and is wearing a poor quality pair of pleated slacks (of a fabric that does not drape very well), there is still a nice continuous line of crease and pleat, from cuff to waistband. Also, other than the pulling from a poorly sewn inseam, the fabric drapes (to the best of its ability) smoothly and forms a clean silhouette. The legs taper nicely down to the cuff, and the narrowing toward the waist adds to an overall pleasing profile.

The trousers on the right, on the other hand, are little more than wrinkled, shapeless bags, accentuated by a horribly unsightly crotch spider.

Some (including the "expert" I borrowed the example from) are convinced that the look on the right is the better look.
I would heartily disagree.

After centuries of evolution, there is little more to know about what trouser cut is the most flattering to most men's forms. The only reason that is debated now, is that the men's garment industry hopes to catch men up in the same trap of changing "fashion" that women have been caught in for so long.

...And since this post will now be out in the ether forever, you are most welcome to come back and confirm this prediction: The very same "fashion forces" that have declared pleats passe, while singing the praises of flat fronts and skinny suits, will someday soon be locked in harmony about the wonderful "new" pleated look.

upthewazzu

Neither of those images are incorrect necessarily, IMO. They are on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, however. Both have their place, in certain situations. I would not wear the pleated full cut trousers to a dinner with friends at a nice restaurant, however they'd look fine in a boardroom (circa 1991 - 2004). The guy on the right looks like he's attending an evening wedding in Nantucket in June, nothing wrong with that look at that event but I wouldn't wear that to business meeting (unless I worked at HP, Google, or some other "hip" work place).

A better comparison would be the picture on the left alongside a picture of a guy wearing the same style trousers except without pleats, and perhaps slightly narrower through the hips and calves (slimmer, not tight).

Jovan

Honors Member
You're comparing wool trousers with a crease and pleats to cotton chinos that don't even have a crease, much less are pressed at all. Of course they're going to look different. Especially when one model is standing straight and the other has one knee bent. If you have well cut, wool flat front trousers, this will not happen even if they fit close in the knee and leg opening. I offer the example of my Black Lapel suit. The trousers were closer cut than I expected (and are being sent back because of this), yet they hang just fine standing straight. No pulling at the crotch. I don't doubt that there will be some wrinkling when I sit down... but news flash, I get crotch wrinkling even in my full cut wool trousers after sitting down a while!

I get what you're trying to say, you're just not using very good examples. For what it's worth, I favour flat front trousers with a medium-high rise and slight taper from knee to opening. However, I can also get behind forward pleated trousers -- provided they're cut as well as Sean Connery's as James Bond!

dba

bear in mind that this particular gentleman was once more fit than you could ever be... even in your wildest dreams.)

I don't think that is true. While not ever a professional athlete, prior to my retirement as an LEO, I was in the gym every day because somewhere, someday I would meet a somebody whose mission was to kill me. It was up to me to make sure I stayed in such shape as to be able to repel any such attack until such time as I overcame him or the cavalry arrived to help me.

To say what you did does a disservice to every LEO, firefighter, professional soldier or anyone else on this forum that takes their fitness seriously .

DannoRye

I don't think that is true. While not ever a professional athlete, prior to my retirement as an LEO, I was in the gym every day because somewhere, someday I would meet a somebody whose mission was to kill me. It was up to me to make sure I stayed in such shape as to be able to repel any such attack until such time as I overcame him or the cavalry arrived to help me.

To say what you did does a disservice to every LEO, firefighter, professional soldier or anyone else on this forum that takes their fitness seriously .

It's notwithstanding. There are thousands of soldiers, firefighters and LEOs. Some of them are in good shape, some of them are not.

There are very few people who can play starting QB in the NFL. All of them are in the best physical shape that the human body can possibly attain. They are at the absolute sharpest point of physical ability, and they are being driven harder in order to stay there than anyone else. The only more competitive pool in the world is Formula 1 drivers, maybe.

dba

It's notwithstanding. There are thousands of soldiers, firefighters and LEOs. Some of them are in good shape, some of them are not.

There are very few people who can play starting QB in the NFL. All of them are in the best physical shape that the human body can possibly attain. They are at the absolute sharpest point of physical ability, and they are being driven harder in order to stay there than anyone else. The only more competitive pool in the world is Formula 1 drivers, maybe.

Agree; there are thousands of soldiers, cops and firefighters and only 32 NFL starting QBs. The QBs are in superlative shape. I disagree with the OP saying that the rest of us can only dream of being in that good of shape. That is simply not true.

I do agree about the F1 guys. In one article I read about Michael Schumacher, while in his prime, noted that his resting pulse rate was 38 bpm. Amazing.

Belfaborac

Hardly that amazing. Mine is 42 and I'm not a shining beacon of fitness and health. An old friend of mine, a competitive swimmer, had a resting pulse of 34 back then and still comes in below 40 today, 25 years and many kilos later. The cyclist Miguel Indurain apparently clocked in at 28. While one's resting pulse rate may be a reasonable superficial indicator, there are enough people out there such as me to make it a not particularly useful metric to base level of fitness on.

Who's the guy in the photo by the way?

johnpark11

How many times do we go over this? Do people openly make fun of you guys wearing pleats? If you like pleats, you should wear them. I personally don't, but that's me. That pic is a guy who is now a little overweight and wearing pants that are to big and he let his belly go. He's also a multi millionaire and one of the best coaches on the planet. Most of these guys look like crap because they work 18 hours a day. The only fit coaches that come to mind are Lane Kiffen and Herm Edwards...both horrible coaches. Love me some Herm Edwards own espn though.

I however agree, when a fit guy like the example above wears double pleats it looks weird.

Wear your pleats I say! Wear your flat fronts I say. And live in peace!

Matt S

Connoisseur
How many times do we go over this? Do people openly make fun of you guys wearing pleats?

The only people who have made fun of me for wearing pleats are salesmen trying to sell me flat front trousers. I went into a shop that I used to get pleated trousers from and they told me I shouldn't be wearing pleats anymore because I'm too young and slim, and they aren't fashionable. Two years earlier they sold a lot of pleated trousers and now stock none.

I however agree, when a fit guy like the example above wears double pleats it looks weird.

If they were double forward pleats it would look much better. Reverse pleats aren't usually as flattering.

Jovan

Honors Member
^ Agreed with above. Even an athletic gentleman looks good in double forward pleats. Or skinny. Or rotund. They are universally flattering.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.