One more regarding the comfortableness of Polo Ralph Lauren Oxford

Brio1

I machine washed my Polo Ralph Lauren Oxford shirt (custom fit) and wore it today. I noticed that as a "dress shirt" -that is a more specific size 16 34/35- it feels more stiff and not as comfortable as a similar shirt in a size large.

What is the difference in "treatment" between their S-M-L-XL sized shirts and the more specific sized, e.g. 16 34/35, "dress shirts" ? :crazy:

P Hudson

^ I had the same issue with an oxford Polo that I received as a gift from my dad about 20 years ago. Without my noticing it, it went from somewhat uncomfortable to feeling like pajamas. Treatments may have changed since then, but I'd hang in there. I suspect you'll come to appreciate it.

Brio1

Nothing to do with the size of the shirt - everything to do with the shirt being oxford cloth and needing to be broken in.

This one is so much more softer that the specific sized "dress shirt" :https://www.ralphlauren.com/product...2498319&view=all&ab=viewall&parentPage=family

This similar shirt is much stiffer and therefore less comfortable:https://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4281909&ab=crosssell_1_4281910_4281909

Why the vast difference in the feel of the material?:icon_headagainstwal

Last edited:

Cardinals5

Honors Member
Why the vast difference in the feel of the material?:icon_headagainstwal

...forget it, I thought you were showing a pinpoint v. a regular oxford, but after reading the description more carefully they both are pinpoints. My guess would then be that PRL outsourced their cloth from different vendors for those two shirts. You can check who actually made the shirts by looking up the RN number (still doesn't tell you where they got the cloth)

Last edited:

Brio1

I spoke with a salesman in the Polo Ralph Lauren department in a Macy's of all places. He stated that the striped version in a size "large" was indeed a "casual" shirt and much softer than the same shirt in 16 34/35. The specific sized shirt is considered a "dress" shirt and is much stiffer.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.