Matt S

Connoisseur
It's easy to shorten a coat. Lengthening the vent may be difficult because you need the overlap of the cloth underneath, and most coats don't have those extra few inches underneath above where the vent stops.

Are you sure you need to shorten the coat? Unless it's hitting your ankles, you shouldn't need to shorten the length of the body. I'd imagine the sleeves could need shortening, though.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Jocias, when I mentioned making a belt from the trimmings, here's what I had in mind. You'd have enough width for a belt, but not enough length. So you'd take the length you have, have it made up as a belt, then cut in half. Finish the cuts and put a button hole in each cut end. On the coat on each side seam at belt height, put a button. This is where you attach the belt ends. You now have enough length to tie, as in the original polo coats, or finish with a buckle. This would give your coat a real custom look and the button affair allows you to remove the belt halfs should you choose to.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
jocias:

You don't tell us where the length ends. Did you review the Topcoat/Overcoat Chapter of The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes:

Dress coats should cover the knees. Above the knee makes you look heavier. If you like a longer style then go for 6 to 8 inches below the knee (midcalf). The length of the coat needs to balance with the bulk of the chest (overcoat with a suit jacket). Plus you’re wearing the coat for warmth so why let the wind and cold chill your knees.

The vent should be high enough to accommodate ease of movement, but too high a vent will let in the cold and wind. Usually to the bottom of your bottom is adequate.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.