Overcoming an Obsession!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Overcoming an Obsession...How does a confirmed shoe whore overcome his obsession with buying that next pair of shoes. Why find a new object(s) to obsess over, of course.

Yeti came to my rescue. It all started with a 14 oz Stainless Steel Mug for my morning coffee, followed by a 36 oz Rambler Jug and then a second 14 oz Mug for those mornings the 1st mug is in the dishwasher. Life was good and one bright morning I took it upon myself to write a letter to Yeti recommending that they consider putting wheels on one of their larger (38 pound) ice chests. Apparently a whole lot of other people also recommended that they do that, as well, and they put out a wheeled chest titled as 'The Hauler." Since Yeti moved on (my) our suggestions, of course I was obligated to buy one...hence my Yeti collection has grown to include this latest acquisition:

IMG_2354.JPG

Not sure how I managed to turn those pictures upside down, but until I figure it out, so they shall be. The sad news is, as I nurture this new found obsession, I still keep finding shoes I must have! :crazy: I think I may need professional help. LOL. ;) Are there other Yeti fans among us? :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• IMG_2352.JPG
    IMG_2352.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 231
Last edited:

WA

Honors Member
Sounds like you need a mission. There are plenty of charitable places to give where you don't want good shoes. When you see people in need- earthly useless wants fade away. Food, medical, clothes, roof over their heads, education, etc. are far more important than self when self has plenty. One charity makes and installs water pumps that uses child power by playing on a toy, a merry go round. These children have few toys, and this is clean water with a toy. You can go on some mission trips and see real poverty. This should take away the desire for unnecessary spending. If you have enjoyed so much luck, why not spread some luck to those who are lacking.

FLMike

Connoisseur
Well, let’s see. I own a Tundra 45, a Hopper 30, a Flip 18, four Ramblers of different types, two hats, and three t-shirts. I guess that makes me a Yeti fan. :)

eagle2250

Sounds like you need a mission. There are plenty of charitable places to give where you don't want good shoes. When you see people in need- earthly useless wants fade away. Food, medical, clothes, roof over their heads, education, etc. are far more important than self when self has plenty. One charity makes and installs water pumps that uses child power by playing on a toy, a merry go round. These children have few toys, and this is clean water with a toy. You can go on some mission trips and see real poverty. This should take away the desire for unnecessary spending. If you have enjoyed so much luck, why not spread some luck to those who are lacking.

Thank you for a very thoughtful post...I fully agree with virtually every word you posted. However, allow me to address some possible misunderstandings. The wife and I do participate in annual mission trips, during which we give of our finances, time, sweat and tears. Locally we support/have supported food pantries and homeless shelter(s). A historic review of our tax records documents contributions to Church(s), various charities and other deserving causes that indicate(s) we spend far more on more virtuous causes than I do on my collective obsessions. Certainly these virtuous attributions do not excuse, but perhaps do mitigate, my documented excess(es)! ;)

eagle2250

Well, let’s see. I own a Tundra 45, a Hopper 30, a Flip 18, four Ramblers of different types, two hats, and three t-shirts. I guess that makes me a Yeti fan. :)

LOL, another committed fan...I find this comforting! Are Yeti's hats and T-shirts as over engineered and built as are their cups, mugs, water bottles and ice chests? :icon_scratch:

SG_67

Connoisseur
LOL, another committed fan...I find this comforting! Are Yeti's hats and T-shirts as over engineered and built as are their cups, mugs, water bottles and ice chests? :icon_scratch:

And what will you do if they start making shoes??? You’ll be right back where you started.

WA

Honors Member
Thank you for a very thoughtful post...I fully agree with virtually every word you posted. However, allow me to address some possible misunderstandings. The wife and I do participate in annual mission trips, during which we give of our finances, time, sweat and tears. Locally we support/have supported food pantries and homeless shelter(s). A historic review of our tax records documents contributions to Church(s), various charities and other deserving causes that indicate(s) we spend far more on more virtuous causes than I do on my collective obsessions. Certainly these virtuous attributions do not excuse, but perhaps do mitigate, my documented excess(es)! ;)

Keep giving people a job- buy some more shoes.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
For any penchants or obsessions of an highly acquisitive nature, I found that reading and executing on The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo brought great results, at least for me. It’s a quick read but frankly can be distilled to the one page guide you can find with Google.

WA

Honors Member
Tidy? That's for neat freaks. I've got better things to do most of the time. Hey fish! Want to see my latest treat?
Not really a fisherman. But, maybe I'll do it again. Tidy up now and far then is fine. And, I think wise. But, to much when there are other important things?...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange