Men's Clothing Forums banner

Oxxfords for Trads

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  imported_n/a 
#1 ·
Trad brethren,

I've been often tempted by Oxxford's legendary quality and their fabric selection, but put off by my (very wrong) assumption that they were for the darted crowd only. The fine folks at H. Stockton here in Atlanta have shown me the error of my ways - the MacMillen N3 (3-button) & N2 (2-button). Both of these models are "traditional fit, soft shoulder, undarted" sacks. Do I wish to get in the habit of spending $2500-3500 per sport coat? No. But a couple of special pieces made up by what I understand to be the finest maker of tailored clothing available is tempting. Tomorrow, as a Christmas present to myself (and because of my current need for a blazer) I'm going to put an order in for a hopsack navy blazer in the MacMillen N3 with an open patch breast pocket, patch-and-flap lower pockets, and working buttonholes. This will probably be my last large clothing purchase for a year or so (I'm not in the habit of ferocious buying frenzies), but since I wear a blazer at least twice a week, I feel this is a fair investment. I must admit, however, that my trad sense is a bit shamed by what I feel to be an exorbitant price tag. I guess the opportunity cost will be measured upon delivery.

Cheers!

#2 ·
"I'm going to put an order in for a hopsack navy blazer in the MacMillen N3 with an open patch breast pocket, patch-and-flap lower pockets, and working buttonholes..."--jrleague

Nice goin'. Love the (AMERICAN) styling. Patch w/ patch-and-flap and, while we're at it, another patch-and-flap. Acryonymed "PPFPF."

I fall in the same category as you do--someone with Ivy League (trad, natural shoulder, etc.) tastes who nonetheless demands high quality (most of the time). I'm sort of ashamed to admit what I'm planning to spend on bespoke sacks-by-Mr. Winston-at-Chipp and custom dark brown shell cordovan tassels by Crockett & Jones. Okay, not so ashamed. Giddy with anticipation.

Bespoke tastes combined with soft shouldered tailoring. Tragic, yet handsomely so. My wife may be right: O' Hara was reincarnated. He lives near Basking Ridge. Shameful. Just shameful. Now, somebody hand me my blackthorn walking stick and brown bridle field satchel as I lift another Balvenie to my face.

P.S.: A few years ago I found myself at a party where Mr. Stockton--sporting seersucker suit, white bucks, and straw hat--was present. What a gentleman. Southern, that is. And fine conversationalist to boot.

Cheers,
Harris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.