Fading Fast

Connoisseur
^^
The shirts and ties pictured above inspire me to upgrade my shirt and tie collections, but then realizing that at most I wear a dress shirt and tie for two to four hours to attend Sunday services and then lunch afterwards, I ask myself, "whats the use?" Thinking more deeply about the shirt/tie conundrum and realizing that on many occasions I take my tie off to avoid soiling of same during lunch, which further reduces my tie usage to perhaps two hours per week. No, I guess I'd better be happy with the shirt and tie collections I presently have! LOL. ;)
Some AAAC member seem to have no issue with the "what's the use?" sentiment - and good for them as they are very positive and enthusiastic - but I'm like you as it seems somewhat pointless to upgrade my suit/tie/sport coat/shirt from a 9 to a 9.5 when I live in a world of jeans and t-shirts.

It's not a matter of dressing to impress, but having worked at a time when everyone wore suits and ties, it was fun to go into work and talk with others (like we do here) about small improvements, nuances, differences, etc., with those who shared your passion for these details and incremental adjustments.

For years, I worked with guys like that and - as it is here at AAAC - it was fun to talk about this stuff with like-minded people. Now, I still care and still dress well, but honestly, it's hard to get passionate about that marginal detail or upgrade when you have no one to really share it with.

Add in the fact, as you note, that there are fewer and fewer opportunities to wear these clothes and I just end up with more and more clothes sitting on shelves or hanging in a closet. My best clothes get used so infrequently now that I sometimes feel like a museum curator of a very small and quirky collection of traditional American clothes that fit only one tall, skinny man.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Some AAAC member seem to have no issue with the "what's the use?" sentiment - and good for them as they are very positive and enthusiastic - but I'm like you as it seems somewhat pointless to upgrade my suit/tie/sport coat/shirt from a 9 to a 9.5 when I live in a world of jeans and t-shirts.

It's not a matter of dressing to impress, but having worked at a time when everyone wore suits and ties, it was fun to go into work and talk with others (like we do here) about small improvements, nuances, differences, etc., with those who shared your passion for these details and incremental adjustments.

For years, I worked with guys like that and - as it is here at AAAC - it was fun to talk about this stuff with like-minded people. Now, I still care and still dress well, but honestly, it's hard to get passionate about that marginal detail or upgrade when you have no one to really share it with.

Add in the fact, as you note, that there are fewer and fewer opportunities to wear these clothes and I just end up with more and more clothes sitting on shelves or hanging in a closet. My best clothes get used so infrequently now that I sometimes feel like a museum curator of a very small and quirky collection of traditional American clothes that fit only one tall, skinny man.
Eloquently expressed, but both very sad and very true. :(

When I worked in an office, it was fun to swap details with other guys who enjoyed dressing, and when I started my own business, most of that was lost. Books, magazines and periodicals offered some consolation for that loss. AAAC does as well. But now when I do dress up, it's for my own pleasure of self expression. The clothing I have and enjoy I treasure for what it is. Comparing it to a museum, or a collector, is not mistaken. And it gives me pleasure.

I dress to please myself, tempered only to avoid what I feel would be grossly inappropriate to the occasion. I pay little attention to what others wear for guidance, and am only alternately bemused and aghast at fashion. I envy you your locale, if I were a denizen of the Big Apple, rather than the hinterlands, I'd use it as an excuse to do a full Tom Wolfe, or at least, a Gay Talese! :D

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Eloquently expressed, but both very sad and very true. :(

When I worked in an office, it was fun to swap details with other guys who enjoyed dressing, and when I started my own business, most of that was lost. Books, magazines and periodicals offered some consolation for that loss. AAAC does as well. But now when I do dress up, it's for my own pleasure of self expression. The clothing I have and enjoy I treasure for what it is. Comparing it to a museum, or a collector is not mistaken. And it gives me pleasure.

I dress to please myself, tempered only to avoid what I feel would be grossly inappropriate to the occasion. I pay little attention to what others wear for guidance, and am only alternately bemused and aghast at fashion. I envy you your locale, if I were a denizen of the Big Apple, rather than the hinterlands, I'd use it as an excuse to do a full Tom Wolfe, or at least, a Gay Talese! :D
It seems like many of us here are in a similar boat. And, just noting, you might have a higher opinion of what day-to-day New Yorkers wear than what they truly do.

Also, I watch old movies and marvel at how people use to dressed for events.

Today is as good an example as any. I ran out early and picked up some rolls and things for breakfast. Then, we had a neighbor's 4yr-old-kid's birthday party to "stop by" (just got back) and later we might meet a friend for a drink at a local bar.

At 7am in Manhattan, not one person I passed was dressed above jeans and t-shirt / the adults at the party were in shorts, yoga pants (I think that's what they are), t-shirts, a few untucked collared shirts, etc./ and the people at the bar, if we go, which is one of those cool old Irish ones, will be similarly attired.

Now, check out movies from the '30s to the '60s and see how men would be in suits and ties for all of those events in the '30s and '40s and suits and ties or nice sport coats and ties in the '50s and pre-hippie-'60s. And the clothes would be smart and thoughtfully put together. In the movies, you'll see someone upgrade from a suit to a nicer one sometimes just to go to a kid's party.

I would stand out and be asked questions if I dressed that nicely for any of the events today. And to be honest, I wouldn't want to - I'm not looking to be a stand-out-from-the-crowd guy, I just wish the attire I like wasn't so out of time.

It would be fun for me - like it used to be at work - to go to events like the ones today if everyone dressed up (and, then, as happens, a few guys you knew talked about this or that clothing item / detail), but to do it now, would make me uncomfortable.

So I wore a pair of summer-weight khakis, a linen shirt (tucked in) and a pair of Seavees and still got asked "why'd you dress up" and "that's a really nice shirt, why'd you wear it to a kid's party?" Sigh :(. It was all said in a positive tone, but it explains why I won't dress nicer than that.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
It seems like many of us here are in a similar boat. And, just noting, you might have a higher opinion of what day-to-day New Yorkers wear than what they truly do.

Also, I watch old movies and marvel at how people use to dressed for events.

Today is as good an example as any. I ran out early and picked up some rolls and things for breakfast. Then, we had a neighbor's 4yr-old-kid's birthday party to "stop by" (just got back) and later we might meet a friend for a drink at a local bar.

At 7am in Manhattan, not one person I passed was dressed above jeans and t-shirt / the adults at the party were in shorts, yoga pants (I think that's what they are), t-shirts, a few untucked collared shirts, etc./ and the people at the bar, if we go, which is one of those cool old Irish ones, will be similarly attired.

Now, check out movies from the '30s to the '60s and see how men would be in suits and ties for all of those events in the '30s and '40s and suits and ties or nice sport coats and ties in the '50s and pre-hippie-'60s. And the clothes would be smart and thoughtfully put together. In the movies, you'll see someone upgrade from a suit to a nicer one sometimes just to go to a kid's party.

I would stand out and be asked questions if I dressed that nicely for any of the events today. And to be honest, I wouldn't want to - I'm not looking to be a stand-out-from-the-crowd guy, I just wish the attire I like wasn't so out of time.

It would be fun for me - like it used to be at work - to go to events like the ones today if everyone dressed up (and, then, as happens, a few guys you knew talked about this or that clothing item / detail), but to do it now, would make me uncomfortable.

So I wore a pair of summer-weight khakis, a linen shirt (tucked in) and a pair of Seavees and still got asked "why'd you dress up" and "that's a really nice shirt, why'd you wear it to a kid's party?" Sigh :(. It was all said in a positive tone, but it explains why I won't dress nicer than that.
There is both truth and wisdom in your observations. However, I wasn't really of the opinion that Manhattanites dress better than they do, but rather that Manhattan has long nourished eccentricity, or at least been more tolerant of it than many other places. Perhaps that has changed more than I realized.

upload_2019-6-23_18-8-38.png

There are always people ready to put you back in the box, their box! But generally, people are far more interested in themselves than others. If your departure from the declining sartorial mean was noted, those who harbor negative feelings toward you will use it as an excuse to condemn you, and those who like you, to extol you. But if not that, they will just find a different stick with which to beat you.

One should do what they're comfortable with. But in considering this, I'm reminded of the question; do I want to tip-toe through life, so as to arrive safely at death!? ;)

As for myself, I wish neither to stand out, or fit in, but rather to be able enjoy myself sartorially. And as to the nay sayers -

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
There is both truth and wisdom in your observations. However, I wasn't really of the opinion that Manhattanites dress better than they do, but rather that Manhattan has long nourished eccentricity, or at least been more tolerant of it than many other places. Perhaps that has changed more than I realized.

View attachment 32075

There are always people ready to put you back in the box, their box! But generally, people are far more interested in themselves than others. If your departure from the declining sartorial mean was noted, those who harbor negative feelings toward you will use it as an excuse to condemn you, and those who like you, to extol you. But if not that, they will just find a different stick with which to beat you.

One should do what they're comfortable with. But in considering this, I'm reminded of the question; do I want to tip-toe through life, so as to arrive safely at death!? ;)

As for myself, I wish neither to stand out, or fit in, but rather to be able enjoy myself sartorially. And as to the nay sayers -

You are absolutely right in that eccentricity is part of the Manhattan experience - you usually see a few very strong outliers everyday. And I'm glad for that as I like seeing that expression of personal style and freedom and that it is accepted here. But again, I personally don't wish to be that person even if - and I'm sure this is true in many cases - the person is dressing for himself and not to be noticed as, the reality is, you will be noticed.

What's crazy is, as mentioned above, even my modestly nicer outfit yesterday (an open-collared linen shirt tucked into classic chinos with '60s era Ivy sneakers on my feet) garnered several comments. They all felt positive and friendly - but still, think about that simple outfit being worthy of any note.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
You are absolutely right in that eccentricity is part of the Manhattan experience - you usually see a few very strong outliers everyday. And I'm glad for that as I like seeing that expression of personal style and freedom and that it is accepted here. But again, I personally don't wish to be that person even if - and I'm sure this is true in many cases - the person is dressing for himself and not to be noticed as, the reality is, you will be noticed.

What's crazy is, as mentioned above, even my modestly nicer outfit yesterday (an open-collared linen shirt tucked into classic chinos with '60s era Ivy sneakers on my feet) garnered several comments. They all felt positive and friendly - but still, think about that simple outfit being worthy of any note.
Then perhaps by your example of refined good taste you are serving a bit as encouragement to others considering how they wish to dress. I've surprisingly encountered this among some late teen, early '20's youngsters, who seem to find the sartorial options with which the grew up less than desirable. And a few weeks ago while attending a church function I was complimented by the female priest (Episcopal) for wearing a PS, when I almost never wear a jacket without one, when what was odd, was not the PS, but rather me entering a house of worship! :devil: ;)

mlenecare

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I feel like I'm in the same boat as many of you on this topic. I sincerely wish it were more acceptable to be better dressed than I usually am. I get tired of being asked why I'm so dressed up because I have on beat up chinos and a polo shirt.

On the bright side though,
I have been influencing those around me to dress better. Most of my friends put on a jacket at least when we go to dinner now.
At work people have been been dressing better as well and I think I have a lot to do with that. My previous job required more formal business attire than my current one. I've been slowly increasing the level of dress here without going too far too quickly. It's taken 3 years but there is a definite improvement. Even if I'm dressed informally at work my clothes all fit well and are of decent quality. I think also because I have been doing it so slowly everyone got to know me and so they don't feel threatened if I'm well dressed.
People are starting to come ask me questions about getting custom dress shirts or how to start wearing pocket squares etc, which has been a lot of fun.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I feel like I'm in the same boat as many of you on this topic. I sincerely wish it were more acceptable to be better dressed than I usually am. I get tired of being asked why I'm so dressed up because I have on beat up chinos and a polo shirt.

I have been influencing those around me to dress better. Most of my friends put on a jacket at least when we go to dinner now.
At work people have been been dressing better as well and I think I have a lot to do with that. My previous job required more formal business attire than my current one. I've been slowly increasing the level of dress here without going too far too quickly. It's taken 3 years but there is a definite improvement. Even if I'm dressed informally at work my clothes all fit well and are of decent quality. I think also because I have been doing it so slowly everyone got to know me and so they don't feel threatened if I'm well dressed.
People are starting to come ask me questions about getting custom dress shirts or how to start wearing pocket squares etc, which has been a lot of fun.
Congratulations, comrade! It's now time to initiate phase 2! :pirate:

We must formalize our 5th column efforts by creating a more structured organization of covert sartorialists! We must systematically insert them into nests of the cargo-shorted, flip-flopped, T-shirted ***bs who will remain unaware of the subliminal prompting to improve their appearance until one day it's too late, and they look in the mirror and think, "D*mn, I look good!"

How will we know each other? A secret handshake? A boutonniere? A discreet lapel pin? Or how about a special fold to our PS?

Fading Fast

Connoisseur

I'm glad you've had such a positive influence. Apparently, my outfits are less inspiring as, while I do get the "why so dressed up" question a lot (for chinos, an OCBD and bucks for God's sake), I've noticed no change in the attire of those around me at work or in social situation :(.

Congratulations, comrade! It's now time to initiate phase 2! :pirate:

We must formalize our 5th column efforts by creating a more structured organization of covert sartorialists! We must systematically insert them into nests of the cargo-shorted, flip-flopped, T-shirted ***bs who will remain unaware of the subliminal prompting to improve their appearance until one day it's too late, and they look in the mirror and think, "D*mn, I look good!"

How will we know each other? A secret handshake? A boutonniere? A discreet lapel pin? Or how about a special fold to our PS?

Best entrance by an actor in a movie, possibly, ever:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^LOL. Looks like a great picture/movie.
And once again, Amazon gets just a blond's hair richer off of my need to pick up another DVD, this one of The Third Man production. ;)

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I'm glad you've had such a positive influence. Apparently, my outfits are less inspiring as, while I do get the "why so dressed up" question a lot (for chinos, an OCBD and bucks for God's sake), I've noticed no change in the attire of those around me at work or in social situation :(.

Best entrance by an actor in a movie, possibly, ever:
Great clip! Really enjoyed it! :icon_cheers:

Never watched the whole film, beginning to end, and now shall. Netflix will get my bucks.

mlenecare

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I don't think we need a handshake or any special identification. Just a knowing nod to other well dressed gentlemen.

*Disclaimer* The vast majority of people on this site are likely better dressed than I am, but I try.

Also....
When I get younger people who come and work for/with me, one of the first things I tell them is that "If you want to be taken seriously you need to look like a serious person"
Anyone who reads this and works with me will now know my secret identity I suppose....

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
Now what part of me would that dressing robe cover that my BB Terrycloth and/or my BB Seersucker robes would not cover...and who pray tell besides Mrs Eagle are going to see me in it? LOL. ;) Seriously that is a very handsome robe, but I cannot imagine myself ever getting a chance to wear it. Old habits are hard to break. :(

Flanderian

Connoisseur
^^
Now what part of me would that dressing robe cover that my BB Terrycloth and/or my BB Seersucker robes would not cover...and who pray tell besides Mrs Eagle are going to see me in it? LOL. ;) Seriously that is a very handsome robe, but I cannot imagine myself ever getting a chance to wear it. Old habits are hard to break. :(
Is he wearing any pants? :eek:
But think how happy it would make Mrs. Eagle to see you in it! :hidden:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.