Paul Stuart, I Knew You When . . .

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Baby, it's cold outside!! :cold:

upload_2019-3-6_12-18-2.png
 

Flanderian

Connoisseur
All the greenery makes it look like it was shot in the summer. He must have been roasting in that.

I suspect you're correct!

My understanding is that there were a least a few months between the layout being shot, and the finished product. Since these were mailed out around the beginning of September my best guess is they were likely shot at the beginning of the summer.
 

Semper Jeep

Senior Member
They really do carry a lot of very classic styles. The catalogues tend to skew a bit more edgy, but once inside, one is treated to a feast for the eyes...

That's been my experience as well. I had long drooled over their catalogs and online lookbooks. A couple of years ago I was down in DC waiting for a friend near his office at the Mint and wandered into the Paul Stuart store across the street. I was expected to be wowed by both the clothing and the prices but once I looked around I was surprised to see many more classic items than I anticipated and a wider range of prices than what's shown in their catalogs.
 

Flanderian

Connoisseur
That is a beautiful tab shirt collar.

It is! And while I understand it's not everyone's cup-of-tea, I think the monochromatic accessories look great here. It's become common to see done, but as with everything, it's not what is done, it's how. Starting with the color chosen, then the intricacy and detail of the interplay between color and pattern, I find it just brilliant. Contrast it to an example now more likely to be seen, a weird color, perhaps frog green, blatantly smeared all over an ensemble.

That's been my experience as well. I had long drooled over their catalogs and online lookbooks. A couple of years ago I was down in DC waiting for a friend near his office at the Mint and wandered into the Paul Stuart store across the street. I was expected to be wowed by both the clothing and the prices but once I looked around I was surprised to see many more classic items than I anticipated and a wider range of prices than what's shown in their catalogs.

Good to know! Then I guess we're just gonna have to shoot the stylists! ;)
 
Last edited:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Still off duty -

And please note the port colored socks that harmonize with the pocket square! But subtly, tastefully. Innately classic, rich, but low-key color that reappears in an unexpected place to surprise and delight, improving both cohesion and visual interest.

upload_2019-3-7_13-2-57.png
 
Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Still off duty -

And please note the port colored socks that harmonize with the pocket square! But subtly, tastefully. Innately classic, rich, but low-key color that reappears in an unexpected place to surprise and delight, improving both cohesion and visual interest.
upload_2019-3-7_13-2-57.png

That is an outstanding look.
 

SG_67

Connoisseur
You can tell so much from advertising.

Most of the Paul Stuart models skew so much younger. The few “older” models tend to be that but with a bit of an edge. In short, they look like models.
 

Flanderian

Connoisseur
You can tell so much from advertising.

Most of the Paul Stuart models skew so much younger. The few “older” models tend to be that but with a bit of an edge. In short, they look like models.

I assume you're contrasting he current models, which skew younger!

Models from the vintage catalogs from which I've extracted entries were uniformly older, many at least in their '50's as depicted.
 

SG_67

Connoisseur
I assume you're contrasting he current models, which skew younger!

Models from the vintage catalogs from which I've extracted entries were uniformly older, many at least in their '50's as depicted.

Yes. The currrent models certainly do. It tells you something about who they are trying to attract.

Though I will say when I’ve gone in, I see men of all ages.
 

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Yes. The currrent models certainly do. It tells you something about who they are trying to attract.

Though I will say when I’ve gone in, I see men of all ages.

And, as we've all kinda noted in prior posts, that's the odd thing as the advertising, catalogue and even store windows only tell about 25% of the Paul Stuart story if you compare its marketing to the full breadth of its in-store selection. I get that its marketing is trying to draw in a younger, more fashion-focused demographic, but does it make sense to ignore the other 75% (wild guess at these percentages) of its customers/sales?
 

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Yes. The currrent models certainly do. It tells you something about who they are trying to attract.

Though I will say when I’ve gone in, I see men of all ages.

I am not surprised. As FF states below, it is really part of a marketing strategy.

And, as we've all kinda noted in prior posts, that's the odd thing as the advertising, catalogue and even store windows only tell about 25% of the Paul Stuart story if you compare its marketing to the full breadth of its in-store selection. I get that its marketing is trying to draw in a younger, more fashion-focused demographic, but does it make sense to ignore the other 75% (wild guess at these percentages) of its customers/sales?

I am both heartened and saddened (Is that even possible!? :crazy:) that much of my beloved Stuart may remain, but that their marketing has gone galloping away from some/much of what has made it both special and successful! And I agree that the much coveted youth market has neither the discernment, or often the pocketbook, to support what Stuart has long been.

Their current CEO makes no bones about wishing to do for Stuart what she did for Brooks. Perhaps in the future she may succeed in converting it into Paul McStuart! ;)

https://mr-mag.com/paul-stuart-ceo-paulette-garafalo-talks-changing-times-at-the-storied-retailer/

"Also rans imitate, market leaders innovate, educate and elevate!"
 
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange