eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
Now that's the Macintosh coat I have imprinted in my minds eye. Looks great. but, as best I can recall, they were not an overly comfortable coat to wear. They had a way of investing you with your very own steam bath as you went through your day. ;)

Flanderian

Connoisseur
^^
Now that's the Macintosh coat I have imprinted in my minds eye. Looks great. but, as best I can recall, they were not an overly comfortable coat to wear. They had a way of investing you with your very own steam bath as you went through your day. ;)
True on all counts! Grew up in the little boy version of this in the early '50's. Particularly entertaining when wearing wool beneath it. Nothing like arriving at school clammy and smelling of damp wool! :D

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
True on all counts! Grew up in the little boy version of this in the early '50's. Particularly entertaining when wearing wool beneath it. Nothing like arriving at school clammy and smelling of damp wool! :D
I remember that well. In the "coat room" in my grammar school - really, a small nook with coats on top of coats on hooks - you got that wet-wool smell on cold rainy days.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I remember that well. In the "coat room" in my grammar school - really, a small nook with coats on top of coats on hooks - you got that wet-wool smell on cold rainy days.
Most of neighborhood dated to the 19th century, as did my elementary school. And the little room off our main class room was referred to as a "cloak" room. And while I constantly looked in vain for the garments from which the name must have derived, I was disappointed to find only the same smelly damp coats you describe! :D

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
⇧ That outfit from "To Catch a Thief" is one of my favorite Cary Grant outfits of all time. It is insanely elegant, yet casual, yet, oh heck, let's just say it, only Cary Grant could really, truly pull it off.

Once again, all at the same time, Cary Grant on Cary Grant:

Everyone wants to be Cary Grant. Even I want to be Cary Grant.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.