eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
But, looking off Grant's right shoulder, what is that thing that appears to be a big silver hued canister...a coffee urn, perhaps? :icon_scratch: Gotta get a copy of the DVD and try to resolve this mystery!

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
^^
But, looking off Grant's right shoulder, what is that thing that appears to be a big silver hued canister...a coffee urn, perhaps? :icon_scratch: Gotta get a copy of the DVD and try to resolve this mystery!
It's been awhile since I've seen the movie, but, I believe, he's in some sort of restaurant kitchen in that scene (in the pic, he's in an office adjacent to the kitchen or something like that). So that metal thing could be what you said or some other piece of institutional cookware.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
⇧ That outfit from "To Catch a Thief" is one of my favorite Cary Grant outfits of all time. It is insanely elegant, yet casual, yet, oh heck, let's just say it, only Cary Grant could really, truly pull it off.

Once again, all at the same time, Cary Grant on Cary Grant:

Everyone wants to be Cary Grant. Even I want to be Cary Grant.
I love that quote!

^^
Sharp eyes! Didn't register until you brought it to my attention, and I haven't a clue.

I like the loafers he’s wearing.
It's funny how one's memory plays tricks on oneself as, if you had asked me before the above pic was posted, I would have said he was wearing some version of an espadrille in that scene.
I would also tend to think they are some version of espadrille as they resemble some which used to be my custom.

For perhaps a decade I used to buy a pair of canvas espadrilles from Saks that had a thin gum rubber sole bound with hemp, something like a welt. They served as ultra casual footwear all summer season, then converted to slippers for the remainder of the year before being replaced, when worn out, the following summer.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
FDR? See how he hides the walking cane. Not sure I like the Cape look for an overcoat but I think he had his purpose. Anti - vaxers trying to bring it back as a look for a new generation!
At Yalta with Churchill and Uncle Joe. "Say, Winston, did you hear the one about . . . . -

peterc

⇧ That outfit from "To Catch a Thief" is one of my favorite Cary Grant outfits of all time. It is insanely elegant, yet casual, yet, oh heck, let's just say it, only Cary Grant could really, truly pull it off.

Once again, all at the same time, Cary Grant on Cary Grant:

Everyone wants to be Cary Grant. Even I want to be Cary Grant.
I went a little nuts when I first saw this movie. The outfit is killer.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
Those shirts look fine, but this far south, I would ditch the ties...except for perhaps 4 hours each Sunday morning! :cool:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
^^
Those shirts look fine, but this far south, I would ditch the ties...except for perhaps 4 hours each Sunday morning! :cool:
A sound principle, I believe!

Though for 40+ years ties and jackets were my part of my metier. And while I've experienced the differences between a Gulf Coast summer, and the comparative garden variety heat of a NJ urban season, I can recall hanging my jacket on an office air conditioner prior to heading to my car. This tactic would net a few minutes of comfort before entering the baking auto.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.