Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
fd94702b044740b54c59d24e93ed20ee.jpg

I like bats. I found the little fella below, rather dried out, in the upper hall where I seldom go in winter, last night. (Photo'ed next to a cup of old fashioned Maine finger-stirred coffee, so's you'll know it's me.)

20210318_163231~2.jpg

Dandan

View attachment 55971

I like bats. I found the little fella below, rather dried out, in the upper hall where I seldom go in winter, last night. (Photo'ed next to a cup of old fashioned Maine finger-stirred coffee, so's you'll know it's me.)

View attachment 55972
It's beautiful, Peak.

I have a friend who collects and dries out birds that died naturally and then displays them in glass jars.

I wonder if you might want to do something similar with this bat?

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
It's beautiful, Peak. I have a friend who collects and dries out birds that died naturally and then displays them in glass jars. I wonder if you might want to do something similar with this bat?
Why thank you, Dan. Because he was in sleeping position when found, his wings are unfurled and am afraid I'd tear them if pulled out to full el murciélago splendor. So he's in a rinsed out Smuckers jar, as is.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I really like bats, too, but for some reason we don't seem to have many around here. Maybe when the weather warms a bit.
LOL, I can't honestly say I am not a fan of those creepy little flying rodents. When we sold our Hoosierville home they cost us a fair chunk of change. They had managed to chew a tiny hole through our 'heavy slab (inch thick)' siding on the second floor and had gotten into an enclosed space in the rafters over the garage that was sealed off from the attic space to which we had access. Over time they were able to accumulate a fair amount of bat crap at the base of one wall. In spite of the rumored erotic applications for bat Guano (who among us has not seen "Ace Ventura, Pet Detective?"), it is in fact potentially harmful to humans and it must be removed and the area sterilized before a house can be sold legally. After the bats and their excrement were removed and the area was scrubbed clean and sterilized and several thousand dollars later, we sold the house! Those nasty little F'ers cost me a lot of money, leaving me as 'not a fan.' However, we do have a public bat house at the head of one of our nature trails here in Harmony. Poetic justice, I guess? LOL. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.