Big T

Looking at the photo, I can also recall the pleasant aroma of library rooms (and book stores) like this, as well. I've spent many, many enjoyable hours in similar environments.
I agree! In the early to mid-70's, while at Penn State, I spent the majority of my study time at Pattee library, and then developed a reading habit that lasts to this day, when I discovered any book, periodical or newspaper, was at my fingertips, at the same place. What enjoyment it was, to find a reference to another work or earlier periodical, and be able to locate it there, within 15 to 30 minutes.

Retired EE

I agree! In the early to mid-70's, while at Penn State, I spent the majority of my study time at Pattee library, and then developed a reading habit that lasts to this day, when I discovered any book, periodical or newspaper, was at my fingertips, at the same place. What enjoyment it was, to find a reference to another work or earlier periodical, and be able to locate it there, within 15 to 30 minutes.

Many years ago I visited Penn State, State College campus, to interview engineering school graduates. My colleague at the time, and good friend, is a graduate of the engineering school. He suggested I visit the creamery while there. Some of the best ice cream I've had-- ever. Brought a half gallon back to work, encased in dry ice.

As to bookstores, Feldman's and Kepler's in Menlo Park, CA, and 2nd Story Books near Dupont Circle downtown D.C., are nice experiences. I bought quite a few books from Feldman's during a trip to the Bay Area that when checking-in at SFO a special "Heavy" tag was put on my checked luggage. Also, a pretty good Chinese restaurant across the street from Kepler's.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
And for those who want to be totally dumbfounded by a bookstore, come on up to Portland, OR and visit Powell's. It's one whole city block, five stories high of bookstore. Sort of a brick and mortar Amazon . . .

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Reading your post above, it would seem we have walked some of the same paths in our lives. During the four years I spent at Penn States University Park campus, I spent countless hours studying in Pattee Library. Life then was good and it still is, though my interest in reading seems to be continually shifting from non-fiction to more and more good fictional writing! ;)

Big T

Reading your post above, it would seem we have walked some of the same paths in our lives. During the four years I spent at Penn States University Park campus, I spent countless hours studying in Pattee Library. Life then was good and it still is, though my interest in reading seems to be continually shifting from non-fiction to more and more good fictional writing! ;)
As I have posted previously, my wife, our two older daughters and their husbands are graduates of PSU. Our youngest is a junior at PSU. While visiting her during her freshman year, while walking around campus, we visited Pattee. She was humored at what she viewed as antiquated media.

Now, though we are all PSU graduates, our oldest (a registered architect), got her masters in international finance, from Pitt. Her husband went to Pitt law school, after his bachelors at PSU. Can't have everything, but.....PITT?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
As I have posted previously, my wife, our two older daughters and their husbands are graduates of PSU. Our youngest is a junior at PSU. While visiting her during her freshman year, while walking around campus, we visited Pattee. She was humored at what she viewed as antiquated media.

Now, though we are all PSU graduates, our oldest (a registered architect), got her masters in international finance, from Pitt. Her husband went to Pitt law school, after his bachelors at PSU. Can't have everything, but.....PITT?
I had always hoped one or all of our kids would have elected to attend Penn State, but that didn't happen.:( Now I'm hoping one or more of the Grand Kids will elect to do so. We planned on our two grandsons to attend PSU's wrestling camp this summer, giving them a chance to look at University Park campus and giving Penn State an opportunity to look at them. As a junior and sophomore the ranked seventh and fifth in their respective weight classes in Florida's State Wrestling Championships this past year. Alas, given the challenges of this pandemic we are living through, the wrestling camp was cancelled.:(

Condolences on the Pitt graduate son-in-law, but take heart, as a PSU grad you didn't marry a Wolverine, but some of us did. LOL. Have a great day! ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.