justonemore

Elite Member
Although we live in enlightened times, I was wondering if anybody let the Pink/gay stigma bother them? I think this is most likely an American thing as I've never heard it in Europe but growing up in Chicago it was normal and I heard it mentioned twice last time I was there (I wasn't wearing pink at the time). Although I myself don't much care what others think of my choices, it could perhaps be a dangerous misconception in certain U.S. neighborhoods

DocD

Although we live in enlightened times, I was wondering if anybody let the Pink/gay stigma bother them? I think this is most likely an American thing as I've never heard it in Europe but growing up in Chicago it was normal and I heard it mentioned twice last time I was there (I wasn't wearing pink at the time). Although I myself don't much care what others think of my choices, it could perhaps be a dangerous misconception in certain U.S. neighborhoods
I'm confident enough in my sexuality (hetero) that what other people think really has no impact on my decisions. That being stated, I'm not sure if wearing a pink shirt would be any different than wearing a high end suit, khakis and an OCBD, etc., if deciding to take a stroll through the "wrong" neighborhood. None of those clothing choices would probably be the choice or norm for these areas or as you state "certain neighborhoods".

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I don't think there is any longer an association in most peoples' minds between wearing pink and being gay, if there ever was. And so what if there were? I love pink, wear it all the time. My personal experience is that it's rather difficult to determine someone's sexual preference by their manner of dress.

JerseyJohn

I've never let it bother me. (a) I couldn't care less if someone besides my wife (who knows better by now) thought I was gay and (b) nobody but a moron whose opinion I really don't care about thinks the color of one's shirt indicates their sexual preference. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever actually seen a pink shirt on any gay guy I've known. Besides, as I understand it, pink only became a "female" color in the latter half of the 20th century. In art, the Virgin Mary is almost always shown in blue - the traditional color of virginity. Does wearing blue mean you're a virgin?

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I am not a great fan of pink in my own wardrobe, preferring peach with its slight edge toward the orange. However, I have read that if one is taking a new lady out to eat, especially in some atmospherically lit restaurant, a pink shirt greatly increases your appeal.

Starch

There's a thread on the subject somewhere not too far back.

Generally, in my experience, as long as you:
- don't hang out in truckstops or biker bars,
- don't go nuts with the pink (e.g. wearing pink head to toe, or driving a pink car),

nobody thinks it means much of anything.

If we're talking about pink dress or polo shirts, I think the only reaction you might get is that it looks "preppy." Of course, in truckstops and biker bars, that might be regarded as approximately the same thing as gay.

Just as an aside, as it's not quite what you were asking: in the vast majority of neighborhoods, appearing to be gay (whether or not that's a misconception) is not dangerous anyway.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
In college I had a friend who grew up in Birmingham, AL. In his opinion the term "bad side of Birmingham" was a redundancy. It's why he left at the ripe old age of seventeen (on a freight train!) and came to California. Today he is a prominent attorney . . . in California!

sbdivemaster

The only thing pink I wear is the classic BB pink OCBD - the older, pale pink. Love them. No, it's not gay.

However, I think the gay/pink association may come from, or at least be perpetuated by, the pink triangle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_triangle#Gay_rights_symbol

I really don't care if someone thinks I'm gay if I wear a pink shirt, and as Flanderian said, I don't think you can really tell if someone is gay/straight by the manner of dress anymore.

FJW

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I have a pink BB OCBD and Seersucker and a pink polo from Bills. And I too don't really care.

cdavant

Elite Member
I have a lot of shirts, and the only shirts attractive, much younger women ever say "I love that shirt on you" about are pinks and grays. Sadly, that's never followed up with "I'd love that shirt off you..."

Tilton

Elite Member
In high school and college all the guys wore pink. Pink ocbd, pink ties, pink pants, pink belts... but I think it's a regional thing... It was far more preppy than "gay" where I was.

justonemore

Elite Member
Ah. Mr. Kabbaz. Like it or not it does come down to image. My post was to draw a comparison between non-sensical American biases snd the ideas I find in my new home here in Europe. As we are all fasionistas of sorts on this site our oppinion is different from the main stream. I started the post after reading a question by a newbie who had just discoved pink and acted as if it was a forbidden pleasure.If a bias keeps us from accomplishing what we desire, we should discuss it and not shelve it out of our desire to avoid the uncomfortable. We also discuss other ideas considered taboo but I myself look at it as a way to educate the ignorant even when that person is me. As posted originally it's from Americans I hear this type of thing.

Last edited:

Alexander Kabbaz

Tech and Business Advice Guru
Ah. Mr. Kabbaz. Like it or not it does come down to image. My post was to draw a comparison between non-sensical American biases snd the ideas I find in my new home here in Europe. As we are all fasionistas of sorts on this site our oppinion is different from the main stream. I started the post after reading a question by a newbie who had just discoved pink and acted as if it was a forbidden pleasure.If a bias keeps us from accomplishing what we desire, we should discuss it and not shelve it out of our desire to avoid the uncomfortable. We also discuss other ideas considered taboo but I myself look at it as a way to educate the ignorant even when that person is me. As posted originally it's from Americans I hear this type of thing.
Problem with your theory is that you're tarring an entire nation with your brush using a very antiquated stereotype.

Matt S

Connoisseur
I don't think wearing pink, or any other colour, makes someone look like they have a certain sexual orientation. I don't have any pink shirts at the moment, but I'd like to get some. They're classic menswear. One of my gay friends is a big fan of bright yellow. That's not something I could ever consider wearing, but that's for other reasons. The colour more associated with gay people, at least in my younger generation, is purple. I occasionally wear lilac, which is more like a pale purple and I really like the colour, and nobody has ever given me any problems. Of course, I don't know what others think of me, but I don't care. I know plenty more straight men than gay men who wear pink and purple. Only the ignorant judge others by the colours they wear.

Last edited:

justonemore

Elite Member
Ok. I'll avoid such topics if they offend our senior members. Antiquated perhaps but I just heard this in Chicago which is hardly the conservative deep south. and if I'm asking for peoples oppinions it's more to get an idea as to the current thought nationwide vetsus painting the whole country with the same brush.

Brio1

There's a thread on the subject somewhere not too far back.

Generally, in my experience, as long as you:
- don't hang out in truckstops or biker bars,
- don't go nuts with the pink (e.g. wearing pink head to toe, or driving a pink car),

nobody thinks it means much of anything.

If we're talking about pink dress or polo shirts, I think the only reaction you might get is that it looks "preppy." Of course, in truckstops and biker bars, that might be regarded as approximately the same thing as gay.

Just as an aside, as it's not quite what you were asking: in the vast majority of neighborhoods, appearing to be gay (whether or not that's a misconception) is not dangerous anyway.
What if the wearer of the said pink shirt found himself in a gay truck stop or gay biker bar by mistake? :icon_smile_big:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange