Pink? Must be gay!

Tiger

Elite Member
Here in the South, for example, the color orange is worn almost exclusively by fans, attendees, and the (rare) graduate of Tennessee and Clemson. For this group the color provides a certain utility. It can be worn to the game on Saturday. It is worn hunting on Sunday. It is worn the rest of the week picking up trash along the highway while out on work release...

Incredibly funny!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
Indeed. However, cdavant left Syracuse entirely out of his consideration...and that verges on being inexcusable! There are more than a few "Orange men" running around out there, sporting the orange as the mood strikes. ;)

Georgetown08

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
^^
Indeed. However, cdavant left Syracuse entirely out of his consideration...and that verges on being inexcusable! There are more than a few "Orange men" running around out there, sporting the orange as the mood strikes. ;)

And those are the worst of them all.

Chris Liu

Starting Member
Sorry even if Pink is not gay its too much of a statement. Thats a color a man just should not wear, and if you do then your pretty much telling everyone that your too out of the box. Far out enough to perhaps experiment with homosexuality, not that you wont, but your open to it. Atleast thats what Pink says to me.

Epaminondas

The implicit assumption of this post, being that homosexuality is a negative and something to be avoided, is distasteful.
You've got to be kidding. I'll go back to the pre-1972 DSM.

Yes, my son rooting around the lower intestine of another man is perfectly natural?????? I have some negative attitudes about that.

That being said: pink shirts are fine: kiltie loafers are gay.

Last edited:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Thats a color a man just should not wear, and if you do then your pretty much telling everyone that your too out of the box. Far out enough to perhaps experiment with homosexuality, not that you wont, but your open to it.

Love it! Love it! Love it! This is hilarious! :icon_hailthee:

Pliny

I'm sorry to keep coming back to your replies but this topic is one of import and specificity reigns.

1] I am fully aware that you had no malicious intent in starting this thread and never implied such. Had you I would have answered as a moderator and not a member.

2] I beg to differ with your characterization. I did not term your postulation as disgusting. I used the very specific "ignorant" ... for to ascribe the predjudices of yesteryear to this time is exactly that.

My statement that this thread is not about clothes stands. It is about societal stereotypes. We may presume the man driving the Bentley to be a wealthy Wall Street honcho. Instead, he may well be the auto mechanic or a car thief. That's not about cars; it is about stereotypes.

Incredibly funny!

Although we live in enlightened times, I was wondering if anybody let the Pink/gay stigma bother them? I think this is most likely an American thing as I've never heard it in Europe but growing up in Chicago it was normal and I heard it mentioned twice last time I was there (I wasn't wearing pink at the time). Although I myself don't much care what others think of my choices, it could perhaps be a dangerous misconception in certain U.S. neighborhoods

Of course you can. Actually, we see more dumb questions than any other kind. :)

This thread was not a question about clothes by any stretch of the imagination.

Thankfully, society has advanced. HIV is now a known factor and efforts at eradication/control/cure are universal. And pink is now considered exactly for what it is - a very soft, beautiful color in which most men look spectacular.

C'mon- I beg to differ with the notion that pink's a broadly accepted color in American menswear (and here) - based on my observations of men's clothing forums.

I tune in to the "What Are You Wearing Right Now III" thread on SF pretty much every day, and if there're any consistent 'don't go there' colors they're 1. Black 2. Orange 3. Pink.

Have a look- you'll be hard pressed to find a pink shirt, jacket, tie etc in any of the 2000 + pages of that massive thread.

Fact is, pink is an absolute taboo there.

And just to be clear, I like the color a lot and about 15% of of my shirts are shades of pink.

I dunno why pink's taboo on SF, but it's gonna be a combo of 'ghey' phobia and group-think, or perhaps pink is just not such a stylish color after all. The black and orange taboos are definitely about style IMO, but who knows, Justonemore?

re: social stereotypes.. Maybe there are WAYWRN posters who would like to post fits with the occasional pink bengal stripe, or tie with pink highlights, but they just don't want to stick their necks out?

thoughts?

Last edited:

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Thats a color a man just should not wear, and if you do then your pretty much telling everyone that your too out of the box. Far out enough to perhaps experiment with homosexuality, not that you wont, but your open to it.

Dr. Andre L. Chruchwell MD- cardiologist, Harvard Alumnus, and professor of medicine at Vanderbilt University. Quick, tell him! He's lived all these years and doesn't even know he may be gay!

7156891241_4d9042b2d4_b.jpg

cdavant

Elite Member
I have several pink shirts in my rotation. In my 66 years I can never remember another man--straight, gay, unknown-- commenting on my choice of shirt. Ties and pocket squares are sometimes complemented by my straight friends (and probably not by those of another persuasion concerned that it might be seen as hitting on me to mention clothes) but never shirts and rarely shoes. But let me put on a pink shirt and I'm sure to hear "I love that shirt" from one or two cute, buff, and much too young nurses or physical therapists. Hell, I start wearing pink silk undershorts if I thought they'd show me their's.

Last edited:

Olifter

I wear whatever my wife likes (she has great clothes sense, women copy her and I got plenty of compliments whenever I wear what she puts together) and after 30+ years of marriage I've had enough training to pick out most of my own stuff.

I wear pink shirts and when I do, I hear plenty about it. Guys comment in a joking manner and women comment positively. I tell the guys I'm comfortable with my masculinity and I tell the women my wife encourages me to wear something other than white shirts. I suppose, both are true.

Tooch

I remember a brief moment in American culture (late '70s, early '80s) when a lot of men seemed fixated on the idea of avoiding pink for fear of seeming "gay." I also remember that I lived in Greenwich, Connecticut, at the time, where pink polo shirts were almost mandatory. American culture is too fragmented for any broad statement to be applicable everywhere (and that's a good thing). Even better, we're at a more tolerant point in our history where being perceived as gay is less likely to have dire consequences than in the past. I own two pink OCBDs. Love 'em.

smmrfld

Elite Member
Sorry even if Pink is not gay its too much of a statement. Thats a color a man just should not wear, and if you do then your pretty much telling everyone that your too out of the box. Far out enough to perhaps experiment with homosexuality, not that you wont, but your open to it. Atleast thats what Pink says to me.

Congratulations...you've managed to top (no pun intended) all the other posts here that showcase idiocy and homophobia. Well done.

smmrfld

Elite Member
You've got to be kidding. I'll go back to the pre-1972 DSM.

Yes, my son rooting around the lower intestine of another man is perfectly natural?????? I have some negative attitudes about that.

That being said: pink shirts are fine: kiltie loafers are gay.

And this is a close second. Well...might be a tossup between two hopelessly ignorant posters.

Matt S

Connoisseur
What we really need here are some perspectives from women or openly gay men. Their approval or disapproval is the only thing that will satisfy those where who are afraid to wear pink. If they just didn't like pink, we'd be having a different conversation.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange