Men's Clothing Forums banner

Please Critique Suit and Shirt (img intensive)

8K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  Holdfast 
#1 · (Edited)
Please Critique Suit and Shirt

Hi guys,

These are my first "real" suit and shirt.

I just picked up the suit from the tailor yesterday. The shirt has been worn and washed twice.

I would be more than happy to post further/higher-quality pictures if they would be of assistance.

Your guidance and critique would be very much appreciated! Thank you kindly. =)

#28 ·
Like the suit, nice job there. I am not fond of the shirt though, for a custom shirt it does not seem to fit perfectly, the next one will probably be better if you point out what you do and do not like!

Out of curiousity, how many Australian dollars does a custom suit and shirt run?

#29 ·
I dont like that shirt. Too lose around the arms, cuff is also too loose, something odd about the back and the collar is too big (for my taste).

Also, you may want to get rid of that belt... And I would not suggest wearing a white shirt sans tie...
Thanks for the comments Johnny, I do tend to agree with your comments. The darts may have something to do with the back looking a bit odd?

However, I'm a little curious as to how you are judging the collar without being able to see my face?

Like the suit, nice job there. I am not fond of the shirt though, for a custom shirt it does not seem to fit perfectly, the next one will probably be better if you point out what you do and do not like!

Out of curiousity, how many Australian dollars does a custom suit and shirt run?
I have to admit that when I had the shirt made, I wasn't as informed as I am now and did not really know what I liked/disliked, so the next shirt should turn out much better (hopefully!).

The shirt (2x2 100's) was $175 (~US$135) and the suit was $1900 (~US$1460). The material was rather basic though (100% faille wool) due to my financial limitations. I remember the H&S Snowy River/Target cloth ran for about $2750 (~US$2115).

#30 ·
Kind of makes you think about your first suit, huh? Makes you think of that trip to Macy's and that Clairborn suit you bought on sale. you know, the one with four buttons? Do you remember the tie and shirt combination that came together in the box? Remember that? Do you remember how the jacket almost completely covered your hands? I bet you remember that, yes?
Probably didn't even have the creases on the shirt pressed out, from being folded in the plastic cover. You know you're buying a quality shirt when it comes already folded (with 997 pins keeping it closed) and in a nice plastic bag keeping it clean. =)

#32 ·
Thanks for the comments Johnny, I do tend to agree with your comments. The darts may have something to do with the back looking a bit odd?

However, I'm a little curious as to how you are judging the collar without being able to see my face?
Yes the darts.

Although I haven't seen your face, based on your body type I am guessing that you don't have a huge head... In any case, I don't find the collar too loose, just a bit large for my taste...

#33 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

Just wanted to thank you all for your time and critique! =)

I took into account all the feedback and am having another shirt made, we shall see how it turns out soon.

Will also have another suit made in a few weeks after I've worn it a few more times.

Any thoughts on the fabric of my second suit?

I was thinking either a plain weave dark gray or the same color with very subtle stripes?

#34 ·
Hold off the patterns just for now RT! Charcoal is a good bet.

Regarding the shirt, no, you need the darts. You have a problem already in the back with too much fabric, although it could be just the way you tucked it in.

Compared to the front of the shirt you seem to have a bit too much room there. Your arm-holes could be slightly smaller, also, to help offset this.

The collar is a little too big.

BUT, these are all minor criticisms, the shirt looks beautiful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.