please listen its important

a tailor

Honors Member
Subject: Prostate Cancer Petition

Hi everyone,

I don't usually send emails like this one around, but this one I just couldn't pass up since we have experienced prostate cancer in our family now in 3 different men. Recently, Darryl Mitteldorf of Malecare created a petition that he intends to present to the next President of the U.S. to increase the amount of funding that prostate cancer receives. Since this terrible disease has hit many of us personally, we should all be out there raising awareness and doing what we can to help increase funding.

Breast cancer research today receives 2.17 times the amount of funding in comparison to prostate cancer cancer research, yet the incidence of the 2 diseases is almost the same, with prostate cancer being a little bit higher. Women decided years ago to stop being silent about breast cancer and started demanding more funding, and as a result, the treatments and understanding of breast cancer have increased dramatically. Yet prostate cancer is still a "silent" disease, yet it affects an entire family, not just the person who is diagnosed. There is no reason that a disease that affects this many men (and their families) should be so underfunded.

This inequity must be addressed, and that is what the petition at https://www.prostatecancerpetition.org aims to do. But it won't happen unless enough people sign the petition to make Washington take notice.

Please go to https://www.prostatecancerpetition.org and sign the petition. Then PLEASE forward this email to all the people you can think of.

A paper version with 10 signature lines is also available for getting signatures at meetings or any gatherings. Not everyone is geared to the Internet. To get the PDF for printing the paper petition, just mailto:[email protected] or ask for paper petitions to be mailed to you.

Washington thinks in terms of millions -- the National Breast Cancer Coalition submitted a funding petition in 1992 with 2.6 million signatures, and look at the funding picture now. For those of you with boys, helping increase the funding for prostate cancer research might help save your life, in addition to your sons, especially because there does seem to be a genetic component to the incidence of this nasty disease.

If you've read this far, thank you! Now please go sign that petition!

Marie

--
A

Last edited:

ksinc

Connoisseur
Before you endorse this, understand that it is misrepresenting it's case. I sympathize with the disproportionate tragedy of the author 'Marie', but that's what it is - disproportionate.

"Breast cancer research today receives 2.17 times the amount of funding in comparison to prostate cancer cancer research, yet the incidence of the 2 diseases is almost the same, with prostate cancer being a little bit higher." "There is no reason that a disease that affects this many men (and their families) should be so underfunded."

Yes, it's true. Prostate cancer isn't funded at the rate of breast cancer research. However, it is funded at about the same ratio of prostate cancer deaths:breast cancer deaths or 2:1. All organizations like the NIH and the WHO have to allocate funds based on priorities and the priority is mortality rates. So, there is a reason for the amount of funding and an argument that it is not "so underfunded" compared to all the other diseases and forms of cancer.

Predictions for 2008 are roughly as follows: the US prostate cancer mortality figure will be ~20,000 in 2008. Approximately 50,000 people will die in automobile accidents with roughly 20,000 involving DUI. Conversely, approximately 60,000 women will die of breast cancer.

The good news is that both prostate and breast cancer mortality rates have fallen equally about 30% in the last 10 years due to education and early diagnosis.

WHO 2007 report on 2005 statistics said:
Cancer is a leading cause of death worldwide. From a total of 58 million deaths worldwide in 2005, cancer accounts for 7.6 million (or 13%) of all deaths. The main types of cancer leading to overall cancer mortality are:

• lung (1.3 million deaths/year);
  • Stomach (almost 1 million deaths/year);
  • Liver (662,000 deaths/year);
  • Colon (655,000 deaths/year) and
  • Breast (502,000 deaths/year).
I didn't sign the petition for reasons unrelated to the case being made (Komen 'search for the cure' and other private organizations have saved more lives by educating people about early detection than the government ever will), but I don't like to see people played emotionally. Perhaps we should be spending more money on all research, but funding them in priority of mortality rates makes sense to me. My personal opinion is that if someone is going to suggest upsetting the priorities of funding by mortality rates then they take on the moral responsibility of finding a better way and telling people what the current and proposed methods offer before they ask them to sign a petition upsetting a "reasonable" and "fair" way of allocating resources.

The linked petition states:
In 2007, Breast Cancer received almost two thirds more funding ($127.5 million) from the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program as did Prostate Cancer ($80 million dollars) (59.5% difference).

In 2007, Breast Cancer received more than twice as much funding ($707 million) as did Prostate Cancer ($305 million) from our nation’s medical research agency, the National Institutes of Health (231% difference).

Breast Cancer and Prostate Cancer patients, equal in number, should receive equal and adequate funding and promotion for research.

That's certainly one theory (patient numbers), but mortality rates is another. The alternative cost of moving funding to prostate cancer is people die of other things. I don't want to be playing Solomon with peoples' lives. Be sure you do. If there is a case to be made here it can certainly be made in Full Disclosure.

Last edited:

Laxplayer

Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
As I understand it, Prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer of men, not counting skin cancer, but only 3 out of 100 American men will die from it. Most men die WITH prostate cancer, not FROM prostate cancer because it is slow growing. Early detection is important though, so I agree that men need to be educated about that.

I just found out today that I have squamous cell carcinoma on my right ear that has to be removed, and a few spots on my forearm that they will treat with cryotherapy (freezing).

Last edited:

PedanticTurkey

An interesting (if peripheral) fact is that both men and women with almost any form of cancer are much more likely to survive it in the United States than Europe.

Laxplayer

Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
An interesting (if peripheral) fact is that both men and women with almost any form of cancer are much more likely to survive it in the United States than Europe.

You are correct.

The differences in survival are due to a variety of reasons, Dr. Verdecchia and colleagues write. They include factors related to cancer services — for example, organization, training, and skills of healthcare professionals; application of evidence-based guidelines; and investment in diagnostic and treatment facilities — as well as clinical factors, such as tumor stage and biology.
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/561737

mipcar

Inactive user
Early detection is a big factor.

Encourage your male friends to have yearly PSA blood tests in addition to "getting the bird". A manual examination is a must and many men avoid it.

Plus taking Zinc & Saw Palemento supplements are also considered benificial.

Not being funny here but I also recall reading somewhere that regular ejaculation is also important for prostrate health.
So get your jollies guys, I don't care how you do it, just do it. lol.

Mychael

ksinc

Connoisseur

Better lucky than good, right! I mean with us not having the quality and affordable healthcare of Europe and all ...

:devil:

ksinc

Connoisseur
Encourage your male friends to have yearly PSA blood tests in addition to "getting the bird". A manual examination is a must and many men avoid it.

Plus taking Zinc & Saw Palemento supplements are also considered benificial.

Not being funny here but I also recall reading somewhere that regular ejaculation is also important for prostrate health.
So get your jollies guys, I don't care how you do it, just do it. lol.

Mychael

Amen! In fact, early detection education is creditied with about 70% of the improvement in mortality rates. There are better treatments, but the biggest factor by far in both cases is mammograms and the other thing ;)

PedanticTurkey

news-graphics-2007-_643378a.gif

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1560849/UK-cancer-survival-rate-lowest-in-Europe.html

DukeGrad

Prostate Ca

Gentlemen

Am in agreement with you all on this one. Myself included with a lot of the men here. On the other hand, lost a wonderful sister in law. About 15 years ago, at the young age of 33 I believe.
This, my friends. Was the hardest death I ever went through. And I have seen so many.
A very well loved person, MiMi.
The 2 cancers are taking a toll on many.
Have nice day my friends

a tailor

Honors Member
the biggest problem is, lack of early detection. caused by the embarrassing manual exam.
women have gotten beyond that and they are beginning to win.

jamgood

Elite Member
Precautionary daily, hopefully preventative:
15+ mg. zinc
200 mcg. selenium
160-320 mg. Standardized (85% fatty acids) Saw Palmetto EXTRACT. (a relatively inexpensive recommendation is Swanson Vitamin's Saw Palmetto Combo, #SWU180, @ www.swansonvitamins.com ) (As with ginkgo biloba, saw palmetto is often harvested in SC and transported to Germany to be processed/standardized before returning to the states)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange