HBNTrader

I noticed that here in Europe most aristocrats and old money types own at least one polka dot tie, which they display both with suits and with blazers/sportcoats. It's the equivalent of the polka dot bow tie worn by Trads and Ivy League professors in the USA, as far as I can judge.

I am going to order my first one today. I own a beige cord blazer, one pair of yellow and one pair of bordeaux chinos, and I think that such a tie would round it off really well. I plan to wear it with a light blue-white striped shirt from Olymp.

Is Navy background with white or yellow dots a safe bet? Of course, the dots will be small.

Also again, are there any European vendors you would recommend?

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
You're dealing with four pieces of cloth and
two patterns. So the mix sounds good. Suggest not pushing it with with a patterned square.

If you get both ties, yellow and white dots, maybe save the yellow dot for the bordeaux pants and the white dot for the yellows, for the jacket, pants and tie would all have a dash of yellow hue and maybe that's too much. Go on line and get the dots off Etsy, Poshmark, Mercari or EBay. Your rigs sound good.

Corcovado

I cannot offer any advice on which color tie will work best for the clothing items you mention, but I am a fan of polka dot ties and I find them to be versatile. I think the first one I purchased was navy blue + white dots. (Specifically, this was the Brooks Brothers dot rep tie.) I have since acquired burgundy+light blue, and navy+purple. They work with both suits and sport coats, and they go well with a variety of shirts.

drpeter

I orderer two navy ties, one with white and one with yellow dots. Next in line is burgundy with white or yellow.
I like polka dot ties and have several of them in blue and maroon ground (and even one in green), mostly white or gold dots. I also have polka dot bow ties, and of course, four-in-hands. I rather prefer the bows.The best ones come with polka dots embroidered into the navy or maroon silk. This type of bowtie (navy with embroidered white dots) was made famous in the last century by Winston Churchill, and is often called by his name.

As someone mentioned earlier, the dots can differ in size and spacing, and those differences can really change the entire effect of the tie in any ensemble. Closely-spaced pindots with very similar colour combinations look quite different, but also elegant and formal. Larger dots look far more casual and, in my humble opinion, not as good.

Last edited:

TKI67

Advanced Member
I, too, have worn dotted ties over the years, but the only one I have hung onto is the Churchill bowtie. In my banker years I got a lot of use from navy with white dots and maroon with white microdots. In high school I had a creamy yellow with navy dots and a matching pocket square. I recalling thinking that in early spring it looked pretty sharp with yellow poplin pants, a blue OCBD, a navy blazer, and (always back then) Weejuns. I still have the PS.

fishertw

Advanced Member
I always think of Churchill when seeing/wearing polka dot ties. His were iconic. Don't know if that was the root of their popularity, but to me it seems so. Perhaps Andy or Paul Winston might know.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.