Preppy Movie Preview: The Graduate (1967)

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
A loathsome, despicable movie encapsulating a loathsome, despicable view of humanity (and most other things as well) from a time that has bequeathed its errors, and little else, to future generations. So Dustin Hoffman wears some nice clothes: people were still doing that then. It doesn't make the movie worth watching.

"a loathsome, despicable view of humanity...," for sure, but alas, one that is seen repeated far too often in our lives. Seems to me to be a good reminder that we could and perhaps in some cases, should do better in our own real lives! ;)

Duvel

Connoisseur
Movies, books, etc., that don't "encapsulate" at least some of that would be pretty boring. If every character and situation is "nice," where is the drama?

A loathsome, despicable movie encapsulating a loathsome, despicable view of humanity (and most other things as well) from a time that has bequeathed its errors, and little else, to future generations. So Dustin Hoffman wears some nice clothes: people were still doing that then. It doesn't make the movie worth watching.

gamma68

Honors Member

I dunno. I think it's worth watching. Most movies bore me after about an hour. This one is never boring. The acting is quite good and the plot is interesting. I want to know what happens next.

What happens after the bus and its two intriguing occupants reach their destination?

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
What's funny is that Hoffman was, I believe, only 8 or 9 years Ann Bancroft's junior when that film was made.

I have no idea, but Bancroft at 36 looks like that was both her age and the number of cigarettes she smoked an hour. Her skin looks horrible for her age. That said, she still had it - even though she scared me when I first saw it as a kid - she still had it.

And I'm with Gamma, I've probably seen the movie three or four times all the way through and parts of it on TV countless times and it never bores me. And if a scene doesn't fully capture my attention, I'll start looking at the clothing details to see how many sleeve buttons a jacket has or if it is a center hook vent (as I am not normal in the head), until the action captures my attention again.

gamma68

Honors Member
I have no idea, but Bancroft at 36 looks like that was both her age and the number of cigarettes she smoked an hour. Her skin looks horrible for her age. That said, she still had it - even though she scared me when I first saw it as a kid - she still had it.

And I'm with Gamma, I've probably seen the movie three or four times all the way through and parts of it on TV countless times and it never bores me. And if a scene doesn't fully capture my attention, I'll start looking at the clothing details to see how many sleeve buttons a jacket has or if it is a center hook vent (as I am not normal in the head), until the action captures my attention again.

Bancroft definitely seems older than 36 in the film. I always placed her as someone in her mid to late 40s (cougar age, LOL).

If her daughter is supposed to be about 18(?), then Bancroft's character would most likely be in her 40s.

And aggressive cougars can be scary. Intriguing, but scary.

xcubbies

Bancroft definitely seems older than 36 in the film. I always placed her as someone in her mid to late 40s (cougar age, LOL).

If her daughter is supposed to be about 18(?), then Bancroft's character would most likely be in her 40s.

And aggressive cougars can be scary. Intriguing, but scary.

Gamma, you may want to share some of those cougar stories with us over in The Interchange.

JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
Charles Webb, the author on the novel on which the film was based, was my house prefect my first year at prep school. There were two prefects for four sophomores in our house. He was a nice guy (even though he and the other prefect once beat me for having a messy room), and I had a lot of fun with him. I even bought a black and white houndstooth check tweed jacket from him when he graduated and wore it through my next two years at the school.

I gather he became very weird in later years. (I suspect his wife may have pushed him in this direction.) As far I know, his subsequent writings never matched the early promise shown in The Graduate. At one point he was reduced to working as a cashier in a K-Mart to make ends meet.

I believe it has been claimed that there was an autobiographical element to The Graduate, and this was the premise of the movie "Rumor Has It," starring Jennifer Anniston, that came out some years back.

FiscalDean

This review taken from my blog, and posted here for your enjoyment.

While I don't plan on hitting it off with any middle-aged women in the coming months

How many people actually plan on hitting it off wth any middle aged women, I suspect that's something that just happens.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.