VC2000

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I once read that Jackie had the sheets changed twice daily at the Kennedy homes...no explanation was given but I'm sure imagination could offer suggestions.

When he was killed she had the White House staff put the sheets back from the morning and had the children sleep in the bed with her so that they might remember their father's smell. I don't recall the source nor do I know if any of this is true...

The Other Andy

I read somewhere recently that he changed frequently due to the back brace, though I can't find it now.

Also, Glenn O'Brien or someone talks about him burning holes in his jacket pockets with lit cigars. Maybe he was changing due to covering his lower shirt / pants with cigar ash.

AF

LoneWolf

Also, Glenn O'Brien or someone talks about him burning holes in his jacket pockets with lit cigars. Maybe he was changing due to covering his lower shirt / pants with cigar ash.

AF
That is O'Brien. He says that the reason JFK was photographed from time to time with one hand in his jacket pocket was because he was holding a cigar and didn't want his picture taken with it. He goes on to say that he regularly sent his jackets to have the burn holes repaired, leading one to conclude that (1) while JFK cared more about his image than the non-visible condition of his clothing, at least he cared enough about his clothes to keep them imaintained, or (2) the holes were so bad that the jackets pockets were effectively useless, giving him no choice but to make the repairs. I would suspect the latter - years ago I read an Arnold interview in which he said that Maria thought nothing of playing touch football in her cashmere sweaters, and I'm guessing that her uncle had the same mindset when it came to his clothing.

PJC in NoVa

Connoisseur
That is O'Brien. He says that the reason JFK was photographed from time to time with one hand in his jacket pocket was because he was holding a cigar and didn't want his picture taken with it. He goes on to say that he regularly sent his jackets to have the burn holes repaired, leading one to conclude that (1) while JFK cared more about his image than the non-visible condition of his clothing, at least he cared enough about his clothes to keep them imaintained, or (2) the holes were so bad that the jackets pockets were effectively useless, giving him no choice but to make the repairs. I would suspect the latter - years ago I read an Arnold interview in which he said that Maria thought nothing of playing touch football in her cashmere sweaters, and I'm guessing that her uncle had the same mindset when it came to his clothing.

As for the football in cashmere thing, I recall reading that one of the Kennedy clan's charming habits was that of insisting that random guests who happened to be at Hyannisport or Hickory Hill or wherever join in the family's famously rough-and-tumble touch-football games whether they wanted to or not.

Apparently if such an unprepared guest happened to be wearing a "nice" outfit, those wonderful Kennedys would take great pleasure in making extra sure that it got badly torn and soiled during the course of play--as a way of showing who was "boss," I guess. With all the money they had been raised with, they had little sense of what it might mean for a lowly staffer or other average visitor to have an expensive dress shirt ripped down the front or a pair of trousers ruined by grass and mud stains.

Even Jackie got this treatment when Jack first brought her home, with the Kennedy sisters apparently making her a target of special less-than-totally-friendly "attention" both verbally and physically. Ah, Camelot . . . we hardly knew ye.

medhat

I read somewhere recently that he changed frequently due to the back brace, though I can't find it now.

AF
I think a more obvious answer is the late President's precient appreciation of the power of images and perception over substance and fact (not to imply that he lacked in either). Historians often bring up the Kennedy/Nixon debate, and the widely disparate impressions of who "won", depending on whether someone saw it on TV (verbal and visual impression) or via text/radio (verbal only). When we poll ourselves on the forum we're always placing "good fit" at the top of our list for "what determines 'well dressed'". Kennedy (maybe with a little help from Jackie) seems to have picked this up a long time ago.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
On a side note, here's his suit worn in Dallas (at least according to the name I gave that image when I saved it years ago).

View attachment 57255
That’s a photo of the label from the suit Governor John Connally was wearing when he was wounded while riding with President Kennedy in Dallas. You can tell by the bullet hole next to the label; the placement of the hole is consistent with a bullet hitting Connally in the back, exiting under his right nipple, then going through his right wrist and into his left thigh. (Also, the Fort Worth location of the menswear shop that sold the suit is consistent with a Connally rather than with a Kennedy.)

More photos of the suit and shirt Connally was wearing at the time of JFK’s assassination:

https://www.tsl.texas.gov./lobbyexhibits/jfk-suit

Cassadine

That’s a photo of the label from the suit Governor John Connally was wearing when he was wounded while riding with President Kennedy in Dallas. You can tell by the bullet hole next to the label; the placement of the hole is consistent with a bullet hitting Connally in the back, exiting under his right nipple, then going through his right wrist and into his left thigh. (Also, the Fort Worth location of the menswear shop that sold the suit is consistent with a Connally rather than with a Kennedy.)

More photos of the suit and shirt Connally was wearing at the time of JFK’s assassination:

Makes sense. There'd be no need for President Kennedy to actually shop in Texas.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur

Thanks for the correction, much appreciated.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Here's a colour version of the forensic photos of JFK's shirt (or maybe Connally?). Click for larger version. Again, if you're squeamish don't click. If you look closely, it appears two have alternating lighter and darker stripes. I don't trust the colour repro on these old photos, fwiw.

EDIT: cropped photo below, it still shows my point that it appears his shirt had stripes of different shades

gettyimages-576878076-2048x2048 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Charles Dana

Honors Member
In the bottom right photo of the third page, one can see the top portion of the distinct Brooks Brothers script shirt label. Probably "Special Order"
The shirt JFK was wearing when he was assassinated was made by Charles Dillon, a Park Avenue shirtmaker. I won’t provide any further links to bloody photos; however, if you’re interested, you can do a Google image search for

President Kennedy bloody shirt

...and you’ll see photos of the shirt label that are unobstructed by an FBI evidence tag.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.