YoungAmerican

Inactive user
[video=vimeo;23462393]https://vimeo.com/23462393[/video]

This is Episode 5 of my web series, Put This On. It's about tradition - and how the idea of tradition is changed by fashion. The guests are Jay Walter, who runs Made to Measure at J. Press in New York and Thom Browne. I think the trads here have a particularly distinct viewpoint on this topic :).

I hope you enjoy it, and I'm keen to hear your thoughts. Please share it, as well, by the way.

jamesensor

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Thom Browne is like chum to sharks... but another nice video - thanks for sharing.

I met Jay Walter during a trip to NYC last summer. It was a slow weekday at Press and he spent over an hour telling me stories until I walked out with much more than I planned to purchase. A history teacher and salesman wrapped up in one.

leisureclass

I had a similar experience to Jamesenor, but with Don something in DC shop. They'll talk your ear off at Press, so it's almost too bad to see it edited down to just a few minutes. As for Mr. Browne, I agree with what he's saying, and that's all I'll say. All in all, great video Jesse.

YoungAmerican

Inactive user
I really enjoyed meeting Thom. I don't wear very many narrow lapels or short jackets, none of them look good on me. That said, I do have a number of Black Fleece pieces (sweaters, pants) that I really love. I really like the idea of giving people a new way to look at something very traditional, which I think is his objective.

fishertw

Elite Member
I had a similar experience to Jamesenor, but with Don something in DC shop. They'll talk your ear off at Press, so it's almost too bad to see it edited down to just a few minutes. As for Mr. Browne, I agree with what he's saying, and that's all I'll say. All in all, great video Jesse.
The person in DC is Donald Wawhinney and I have met and spoken with both him and Jay Walter in New York.
Too bad that people like those two as well as Jim Hunter of Hunter and Coggins in Asheville NC are not the norm in mens clothing stores now. I've never had that sort of knowledge and attitude from anyone at a Brooks Brothers. Ethan at O'Connells is a similar fellow.
I appreciate all of these fellows and the services they provide.
Tom

maximar

I'm the host, and while I'm not from NPR, I do host a public radio show called The Sound of Young America, which airs on WNYC and WHYY among other stations.
Two of my favorite stations.
Great video. It would be more interesting if you show more B roll than just talking heads. Looking forward for more visuals/videos.

Kurt N

Interesting. Maybe it's my ears or maybe it's my speakers, but I found it a little hard to hear Jay Walter over the music.

Browne surprised me a bit, in a good way--plain-spoken and unaffected, and candid about the fact that some of his show stuff is meant more to be talked about than worn.

YoungAmerican

Inactive user
I found him to be a nice, thoughtful guy. He certainly is fashion-industry-y, but his affection for traditional menswear is genuine. I also think he really loves that part of fashion that is about transformation - about creating something never seen before, and that it's amazing the way he mixes those two things.

Sir Cingle

Thanks for posting this. Both men come across as very nice guys, I think. I've never talked at length with Mr. Walter, but I've seen him in passing at the New York Press, and he comes across as a funny and classy guy. I found Thom Browne down-to-earth, which was surprising to me. I'm not a huge fan of his stuff, but he seems both pleasant and humble.

arkirshner

Honors Member
You certainly are an excellent interviewer and I certainly see why, in the competitive market of NY, a station pays you to conduct them.
Thank you for sharing these. Mr. Walter certainly is a treasure. Mr. Browne was interesting enough but I would have like to see some of his
standard clothes instead of only the call attention to myself show clothes. By the way I thought the editing was great, although I would love to see/hear the unedited Jay Walter tape I understand that is is not feasible to release it that way.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.