DocD

I have a relatively athletic build, and on casual weekends in cooler weather, my wife REALLY likes the look of jeans, a pair of loafers and a thin cotton V neck sweater and a crisp white "tee" shirt underneath (and who am I to argue?).

I'm looking for some recommendations for a high quality tee shirt. I have a preference for a tee shirt with a high cut neck if possible. Too many shirts I've looked at have a very low cut neck, and for some reason they just don't look good on me, especially with a V neck sweater. I do have a few tee shirts with a higher cut neck that fits tighter, and it really seems to look better and "cleaner".

I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any recommendations for a high quality tee shirt that is available with a higher cut neck (but not quite a mock). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JDC

Inactive user
I would greatly appreciate if anyone has any recommendations for a high quality tee shirt that is available with a higher cut neck (but not quite a mock). Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
If you want to save some money, basic Cheetah brand t-shirts from Mervyn's have a higher cut neckline and are thicker than underwear type t-shirts (the thickness also helps with the look).

DocD

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not familiar with Mervyn's, so I'll have to attempt to find a retailer on the East Coast.

dfloyd

Advanced Member
Tee shirts with sweaters...

I wear the same thing: good tee with high cut neck beneath a v neck cashmere. The best I have found are those at JAB. They are 100% mercerized cotton and look great. they make them in about 10 different colors plus white. I use the same color as sweater at times: red tee with red sweater. Or I contrast compatible colors: red tee with black sweater or vice versa. They run $49 each, but I got mine on sale for $29. If you get a Cutter and Buck catalog, you'll find some nice high tees also.

DocD

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. I do have a few of the JAB shirts, but where I live they haven't carried the nice cotton tees for several years. I also haven't seen them on their website.

I'll go to one of my local stores and check again.

DocD

The shirts Mr. Kabbaz recommends look like high quality shirts, and I do not mind spending the money, however, I'm concerned that the crew neck does not look as high as I'd like.

The type of tee I'm looking for is obviously difficult to find. I'm attempting to find a shirt with a relatively high crew neck, but not as high as a "mock". They do exist, since I have a few made by a specific company, however they make them in several colors but not white.

bearbones11

Starting Member
I bought a couple of the Neiman Marcus crew-neck tees at the Last Call outlet a few weeks ago for $10 ea. These have got a pretty high neck with a slightly wide trim, but nowhere near a mock. RLPL crew-necks have a real nice feel to them, too. Note, both the above are the tees sold as casual wear, not underwear.

DocD

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I went to my local men's shop and he had an excellent suggestion. He carries a line of sportswear named Scott Barber. Scott Barber has a line of pima cotton tees in about 10 different colors. These are a very nice quality tee shirt for casual wear, to be worn with khakis, shorts, under sweaters, etc., and are NOT "undershirts".

These Scott Barber casual tee shirts were exactly what I was looking for, since the collar was a little higher and tighter fitting than a traditional tee shirt, making it dressier and making it look much "cleaner" under a V neck sweater. It's also a much more substantial weight. They cost about $45 each.

They aren't usually stocked during this season, but he was able to order a few for me. This time of year only white and black were available, but during the spring and summer they are available in about 10 colors.

Anyway, if anyone is looking for a nice quality casual tee shirt with a higher, tighter fitting neckline, you may want to consider Scott Barber.

Rossini

Honors Member
I agree. I'm not mad about the Zimmerli comfort style - the neck is too high to wear under anything but a poloneck. The standard crew looks ok though a bit tight-fitting.

Marks and Spencer do some decent stuff at reasonable prices. Above that price range, the likes of CK and Boss are probably best dumped in favour of Zimmerli and the like.

Tiberias

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
My t-shirt supplier of choice is Express, which makes all-cotton t-shirts in a broad range of colors. High neck, printed label (no tag, which is nearly mandatory for t-shirts for me), close fit without being tight (so perfect under sweaters or under a button-up), and low price. For a softer t-shirt, I like the newer ones from Banana Republic, nice earth tones and a more luxurious knit.

Alexander Kabbaz

Tech and Business Advice Guru
I've found Hanro t-shirts to be the best quality ones.
I used to sell Hanro before they closed their Swiss workrooms. Even then, they were always a close second to Zimmerli. Now it seems to depend upon what non-Swiss country your batch was made in.

Mr Kabbaz beat me to it but he does have a vested interest! :icon_smile:
Very punny!

My t-shirt supplier of choice is Express, which makes all-cotton t-shirts in a broad range of colors. High neck, printed label (no tag, which is nearly mandatory for t-shirts for me), close fit without being tight (so perfect under sweaters or under a button-up), and low price. For a softer t-shirt, I like the newer ones from Banana Republic, nice earth tones and a more luxurious knit.
I heartily concur with your "no tag" requirement! That's why, last year, we switched our tag-attaching method both for standard Zimmerli as well as Kabbaz-Kelly by Zimmerli to two bar tacks which can be very easily cut without damage to the shirt. No more edge-sewn labels.

omairp

Try Jockey 8-way stretch t-shirts. They come in v-neck, and they're super stretchy, so you can pull them down to prevent any from showing under your sweater, but it won't ruin them.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals