Ralph Lauren Watches

Polo855

Starting Member
I like the look of the new Ralph Lauren watches, but they retail from 9 to 35,000. I was hoping for some help finding a watch as close to these as possible. (brown leather strap, round face, classic design, white face)

Trip English

Honors Member
I was hoping for some help finding a watch as close to these as possible. (brown leather strap, round face, classic design, white face)

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but that has to describe at least 25% of all watches ever made. Since there's no shortage of watches that meet those general criteria, what are some of the details that make you like the Ralph Lauren watches and how much are you looking to spend? As with any inquiry like this, the more detail the better.

Pink and Green

People may disagree, but the tradliest watch EVER is Timex, followed closely by Rolex.

Think it fits into the "durability at all costs" element. Plus, Trads tend to have something they beat to death or cherish, and those two brands are the go-to brands for those purposes.

jamgood

Elite Member
Look closely at the 4 o'clock screw. It's a factory second.

Gitit? A watch 'second". Har har har har har har he he he eh he he he !a second! ha ha ha, oooooooooh me oh my, a second!

Polo855

Starting Member
I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but that has to describe at least 25% of all watches ever made. Since there's no shortage of watches that meet those general criteria, what are some of the details that make you like the Ralph Lauren watches and how much are you looking to spend? As with any inquiry like this, the more detail the better.

No worries. Honestly, the cheaper the better. I don't want to spend more than 3 or 400. To be a little more specific i'll make a list of all the details that I find attractive about this particular watch.

Brown leather strap
Round face (silver or gold)
Face size and thickness
White dial
Chronograph
Roman numerals

I also like the exposed screws around the face but I realize that might be possible. If someone could point me in the right direction as to what brands I should be looking at, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sjk

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
While I have always had a bit of a weakness for some of RL's high-end ventures (furniture, for example) I'm really glad I don't like any of these watches.

Trip English

Honors Member
No worries. Honestly, the cheaper the better. I don't want to spend more than 3 or 400. To be a little more specific i'll make a list of all the details that I find attractive about this particular watch.

Brown leather strap
Round face (silver or gold)
Face size and thickness
White dial
Chronograph
Roman numerals

I also like the exposed screws around the face but I realize that might be possible. If someone could point me in the right direction as to what brands I should be looking at, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ok, that's a little bit more to go on.

1. Let me first suggest you dispense with the idea of tiny screws. Details like these are not well executed in the price range you quote.

2. Don't attempt to replicate the look of a $10,000 watch for a few hundred dollars. When watch makers (like many makers) strive to "look" high-end, there is ultimately a portion of manufacturing that goes to the "look." The reality is that no one who knows about watches would be fooled and no one who doesn't would care. So buy a Swiss Army, a Tissot, or a host of other watches that are built well for less than $500.

3. Spend more than that. Frankly, once you break the $50 price point, you inch up so easily that you'd be better off not spending a few hundred if you can't afford more. I'd get a vintage Timex off eBay (they look very elegant compared to the Timex on sale today), and then save up for a more expensive watch when you're older. No one ever regrets a nice watch purchase.

4. The remaining characteristics are still sooooo general. Roman numerals barely narrows the field.

beherethen

Suspended
The guts of these watches are the same as IWC & Jaeqer LeCoultree so the are going to be 4 figures no matter what. They are good looking. I don't know if they will hold their value or if they have the status value of their price. This is a tough call. It's not like a DNYK design on a $40 quartz.

Got Shell?

Hard to believe, isn't it? It's so funny how you can go to different forums and hear the same arguments from purists about completely different items. You tend to see alot of whining about why a company won't create products to satisfy a very small portion of their customer base:

Example:
Why won't Alden produce (purist shoe)?

Why won't Toyota produce (purist SUV)?

Why won't Rolex produce (purist watch)?

FlashForFreedom

The guts of these watches are the same as IWC & Jaeqer LeCoultree so the are going to be 4 figures no matter what. They are good looking. I don't know if they will hold their value or if they have the status value of their price. This is a tough call. It's not like a DNYK design on a $40 quartz.

Although made by Richemont, I do not think it is good practice to spend this much on a RL watch... Even at its best, it is a repackaging of some other company's product... It appears to be more geared towards fashion than horology.

I would recommend buying your watch from a watchmaker, and leave your clothes for the clothier

Last edited:

FlashForFreedom

Are you looking for automatic/mechanical or quartz? If you are looking for a low priced automatic, I echo the recommendations for Hamilton... If you are looking for quartz, I would not recommend spending much.

sjk

Although made by Richemont, I do not think it is good practice to spend this much on a RL watch... Even at its best, it is a repackaging of some other company's product... It appears to be more geared towards fashion than horology.

I would recommend buying your watch from a watchmaker, and leave your clothes for the clothier

I agree, but let's be clear here. In 2010, it's ALL about fashion, or more specifically, aesthetics. If you are really looking for a watch to function as a tool for actually keeping time, remember that the clock in your cell phone or perhaps a Casio G-Shock will function far better that any of the brands discussed above. Most of us are not using a watch for celestial navigation- a watch is a piece of men's jewelry. If you are buying a watch as an appreciation of the art and science of micromechanics, a field that is 100-200 years old, wonderful. But let's be honest- most of us buy watches because they look good on your wrist.

RL's entry into the luxury watch market came at an unfortunate time, launched as the global economy was cratering. RL in general seems to have done well despite this, focusing on European markets recently. I'm sure there are enough oligarchs still around to scoop up these baubles.

Trip English

Honors Member
I'm sure there are enough oligarchs still around to scoop up these baubles.

Funny you should mention this. I was at the flagship store on Madison Avenue in NYC and was shown a beautiful sterling silver scoop with a horn handle specifically for scooping baubles. A young Russian couple was buying one as I left.

Got Shell?

Amen! I would never buy a RL watch. I will admit that RL does a very nice job finding a premier maker of some items and having them made with RL badging, such as C&J for Polo shoes, and Purple label sunglasses, which are basically Persols without the hardware on the temples. But a watch? Nah

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.