Real Slippers

capngrouch

I am curious to know who still wears real slippers? Similar to these

or these

If so, what kind do you have and do you on occasion wear them in public, i.e. late night run to grocery or early weekend run to starbucks.

I do not consider myself old, late 30s, but I have always enjoyed a nice pair of slippers to pad around in. I currently have a pair of the Charles style by Draper, which over time the suede soles become tough enough for those runs to the store.

Since I cannot stand flip-flops or anything like them, I was always getting flack in college for wearing my "granpa" slippers.

I went over to one of my old dorm mates for dinner a couple of weekends ago, sure enough he was wearing a well worn pair of slippers. He commented that I was ahead of my time back in college.:idea:

DougNZ

Elite Member
I gave up on stinky synthetic slippers and treated myself to Drapers; the Spencer, I believe. They are lovely to wear, and while I have worn them when family has come to dinner, I would change to shoes for other guests. And I would not go out in them, mainly because I would no more be seen in public in slippers than in pyjamas but partly because I do not fancy picking up all and sundry from the pavement and spreading it throughout the house.

I, too, got flack about Grandpa slippers and ballet shoes, but it was mainly just to take the piss. I would suggest that unless your feet are very wide to get the narrower model and wait a week while they mould to your feet which the calf will most certainly do.

Mark from Plano

I have a pair similar to the 2nd ones you reference. Mine are Peal & Co. from BB. I only wear them around the house. Never out of the house (other than to the mail box or to pick up the paper in the drive way).

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Oddly...I think...during my college years, living in a dorm, and early AF years, living in bachelor officers quarters (BOQ), I wore slippers such as you have illustrated and did indeed catch a bit of flak because of it. However, as the years passed and I approached the "Grandpa" phase of my life and found myself accumulating pairs of very worn Topsiders/deckshoes, no longer suitable for wearing out of the house, I now use these recycled Topsiders as slippers/house shoes.

Intrepid

Quoddy Camp Mocks

You might also consider these. Rubber soles, a bit of arch support, just as easy to get in and out of as slippers, without that "nursing home" image; when you are out picking up the newspaper.

capngrouch

Actually I have a couple of pairs, all soft sole opera styles; Draper, Churchs and a couple of very old LB Evans, Cherokee and Baronet Opera. The Evans were made in MA, before the company was sold.

I was just wondering, if wearing of slippers is no longer part of the norm. When I read the what folks are wearing, I do not see mention of these types of slippers.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Crazyq, are those your slippers? They're certainly appropriate for most members here to pad around their pads. Great photograph, it reminds me my Church's should be here this week.

DD

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange