• Staff

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
My answer has always been Casablanca (even over Citizen Kane) since in my opinion there is not one single wasted scene in the movie.

However, after once again seeing American Graffiti last night on TV (with commercial breaks which should be illegal) I am revising my opinion. It has to be American Graffiti!

WouldaShoulda

Suspended
I saw a woman on the Metro I once had carnal knowlege of in a previous life.

"Of all the commuter trains in all the towns in all the world she had to walk into mine."

I should have said it, but I ignored her and walked off the train. :(

KenR

Advanced Member
Yes, American Graffiti certainly strikes a chord with many of us. If was to give a serious answer I'd say The Godfather (saga). If I'm feeling whimsical (or is it cynically humerous) I would say Animal House or How to Murder Your Wife (please note that Jack Lemmon and Verna Lisi end up happily ever after).

WouldaShoulda

Suspended
I found it remarkable the AG was made just 12 years or so following the events it depicted.

That would be akin to making a movie about coming of age during the dot.com bubble today!!

I don't think I'll even pitch that idea. :(

JJR512

I do not like to single movies out for "best ever" or "best comedy" or "best drama" or "best modern" or "best classic" and so on. There are so many movies that are so very good in very different ways that I feel it's an injustice to single out any single one of them.

That being said, if I was pre-arranging to be marooned on a desert island—which conveniently has a TV, DVD player, and electricity—but could only pick one movie to bring with me, I'd bring the original Star Wars.

dmbfrisb

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Best is tough. Citizen Kane is pretty much the standard. I think American Beauty is the textbook perfect movie in line with Kane. But my favorite is far and away David Lynch's Mulholland Drive.

JDC

Inactive user
Some on my list would be

Papillon
Network
Chinatown
2001: A Space Odyssey
Wizard of Oz
American Graffiti
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
It's a Wonderful Life
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Airplane!

One little-known gem is called The Last of Sheila, released the same year (1973) as American Graffiti. It had an all-star cast but was buried at the box office by other films that year (AG, The Sting, The Exorcist and a half dozen other blockbusters). Definitely the best mystery I've ever seen, and one of the few that kept me guessing until the very end of the movie.

halldaniel21

Starting Member
My list of best movies ever is as follows:
The Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather1-3, Schindler's List, Inception, Fight Club, Forest Gump and Casablanca.
Loved all the movies.

ZachGranstrom

This is a tough one, but I guess the best movies in my book are:

Inception
Odd couple
Citizen cane
The Searchers
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Planes,Trains, and Automobiles
Arsenic and Old Lace
All Mel Brooks Movies
All Monty Python movies
Shop Around The Corner (remake too)
Sleepless in Seattle
When Harry met Sally....

calfnkip

Some great movies here, but I have a soft spot for The Magnificent Seven (1960).

OK, the story really isn’t original. It’s John Sturges’ adaptation of Kurosawa’s adaptation of a traditional samurai story.

But along with Sturges, Elmer Bernstein’s theme and incidental music gave the whole project a distinctly American flavor.

And how could a movie go wrong with the likes of Yul Brynner, Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson and James Coburn?

Here’s a link to the theme. Give your ears a treat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45KAjt7v4t4

Last edited:

tjacks55

Starting Member
Casablanca is also my fav movie alongside with Scarface...I don't know if you guys ever seen the Theatre show in french...Ive seen it last year at the Theatre des inconnus in Paris and its pretty amazing. In London you can see priscilla queen of the desert in the same style. But not as good of couse but it will entertain you on a night out. I recommend also Bloodbrothers and Legally blonde wich are pretty descent aswel xx

Zakk

Lots of good movies here. I would have to say "Goldfinger" is in my top three. "Double Indemnity" is also one of my favorites.

thebot

My list of best movies ever is as follows:
The Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather1-3, Schindler's List, Inception, Fight Club, Forest Gump and Casablanca.
Loved all the movies.
I like the list, but you have to remove Godfather 3! I am enjoying Mob week on AMC, so there is actually some decent options on TV when I am at the gym.

thebot

This is a tough one, but I guess the best movies in my book are:

Inception
Odd couple
Citizen cane
The Searchers
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Planes,Trains, and Automobiles
Arsenic and Old Lace
All Mel Brooks Movies
All Monty Python movies
Shop Around The Corner (remake too)
Sleepless in Seattle
When Harry met Sally....
Love the Mark Twain quote on your signature page .. One of my favorites.

thebot

Okay here is my list (no particular order):

Citizen Kane
Casablanca
Godfather 1/2
Bourne Trilogy
Braveheart
Rushmore
Zoolander/Office Space (two of my favorite comedies)

The Rambler

Honors Member
For best ever:

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

I like reading the lists. Not many comedies, it's sort of a separate list, but for that I nominate The Thin Man, but I must see American Grafitti again, haven't seen since it came out.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.