The FourHorseMen

Starting Member
I prefer movies like the Omen, the Exorcist, and haunting movies if I can use that term, hence my nick name here. Not the Halloween, the Friday the 13[SUP]th[/SUP] etc. I also like drama documentaries; the JFK, 13 Days, Apollo 13.

Shaver

Suspended
For best ever:

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

I like reading the lists. Not many comedies, it's sort of a separate list, but for that I nominate The Thin Man, but I must see American Grafitti again, haven't seen since it came out.
Yup. Rambler is correct. Treasure of the Sierra Madre is the best film ever made. 'I don't have to show you any stinking badges'. Just thinking about that movie makes me feel fuzzy and warm.

This thread is now probably about discussion of the second best film ever made. :icon_smile_wink:

Last edited:

blairrob

Yup. Rambler is correct. Treasure of the Sierra Madre is the best film ever made. 'I don't have to show you any stinking badges'. Just thinking about that movie makes me feel fuzzy and warm.

This thread is now probably about discussion of the second best film ever made. :icon_smile_wink:
Since we have (correctly) :thumbs-up: answered the original question let me suggest The Deer Hunter, with DeNiro, Walken, Streep, Dzundza, Cazale, and John Savage, a flawless film imo, for number 2, with In the Heat of the Night, and Breaker Morant not too far behind. Mind you, unless you're Aussie, no one has Breaker Morant in a top twenty list.

Last edited:

Snow Hill Pond

Advanced Member
Breaker Morant not too far behind. Mind you, unless you're Aussie, no one has Breaker Morant in a top twenty list.
<Being led to the firing squad>
Priest: Would you like a reading my son?
Morant: No thank you, Father, I'm a pagan.
Hamilton: What's a pagan?
Morant: It's someone who believes there isn't a devine being dispensing justice to mankind.
Hamilton: I'm a pagan too.

Very good movie...and as I remember, a favorite of Ronald Reagan.

Snow Hill Pond

Advanced Member
Not so fast with the "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" being #1. I've seen TSM, and I like TSM, but it doesn't hold a candle to one of my personal favorites, "The Best Years of Our Lives" (1946). Men home from war dealing with guilt, infidelity, alcoholism, disability, class, an uncaring civilian populace, and failure. What's not to love?

Snow Hill Pond

Advanced Member
From a clothing point-of-view, I admire the following movies:

1. Chariots of Fire (1920's menswear)
2. Scent of a Woman (Al Pacino's dark suit is impeccable, Chris O'Donnell's attire is Trad personified)
3. North-by-Northwest (Cary Grant's gray suit)
4. The Right Stuff (Early 1960's menswear)
5. Heat (DeNiro's gray sport coat is cool)
6. The Talented Mr Ripley (1950's menswear)

Shaver

Suspended
From a clothing point-of-view, I admire the following movies:

1. Chariots of Fire (1920's menswear)
2. Scent of a Woman (Al Pacino's dark suit is impeccable, Chris O'Donnell's attire is Trad personified)
3. North-by-Northwest (Cary Grant's gray suit)
4. The Right Stuff (Early 1960's menswear)
5. Heat (DeNiro's gray sport coat is cool)
6. The Talented Mr Ripley (1950's menswear)
If it's clothes you are after then 'Brideshead Revisited' - not the movie version, though, must be the mini-series version.

Ματθαῖος

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Not so fast with the "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" being #1. I've seen TSM, and I like TSM, but it doesn't hold a candle to one of my personal favorites, "The Best Years of Our Lives" (1946). Men home from war dealing with guilt, infidelity, alcoholism, disability, class, an uncaring civilian populace, and failure. What's not to love?
That movie so good. One of my favorites, as is Casablanca.

Snow Hill Pond

Advanced Member
If this is the way it's going, then I'm in.

Sister Act.
Ok, if you wanna get crazy, let's get crazy.

"Road House" (1989) or anything with Christopher Walken. In fact, if they remade "Road House" with Christopher Walken playing Dalton, it would be almost perfect...almost! Perfection would be Christopher Walken playing all of the roles.

Shaver

Suspended
Ok, if you wanna get crazy, let's get crazy.

"Road House" (1989) or anything with Christopher Walken. In fact, if they remade "Road House" with Christopher Walken playing Dalton, it would be almost perfect...almost! Perfection would be Christopher Walken playing all of the roles.
Whoa! Whoa! Don't diss Walken. :cry:

Good call Road House though.

Top Gun. Excruciatingly dreadful

Snow Hill Pond

Advanced Member
Whoa! Whoa! Don't diss Walken. :cry:

Good call Road House though.

Top Gun. Excruciatingly dreadful
"Road House" is so bad, it's good, but it could be badder...and thus...gooder(?)

Christopher Walken doing the Cooler Speech at the Double Deuce:

"I want <20 second pause> you to be nice. <In a rush...all in one breath> Ask him to walk be nice if he won't <10 second pause> walk walk him but be <10 second pause> nice."

I don't think I could pick a "best ever" without qualifiers -- heck, I can barely pick favorites. It's made doubly hard because I haven't seen so much as a frame of mine yet, so I don't know if I can back up the brashness of saying "mine."

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.