Recognition...

The Gabba Goul

Elite Member
Just winding down a very good weekend, checking my email, thinking of what I might want to make for dinner before settling in to watch the Sopranos and Big Love (The two best shows on TV right now)...thought I'd sit and relax for a while, I put on some jazz, now, I love all types of music, but jazz is so funny to me, because people seem to devote their whole lifes to amassing a knowledge of this genre (probably more even than rock), now, I'm just a casual fan, I suppose I have listened to enough of it to know what I like, but I was just listening to Bird of Paradise as performed by Bird, this is probably my favorite jazz song in the world...well anyway...I just got to thinking. I know a handful of hardcore jazz fans, and many people who are more into it than I am, talking to these people about it, I always find something funny, when you ask them who they think is the best, the answer 9 times out of 10 comes back "Miles Davis"...and inveriably never comes back "Charlie Parker"...WHY?!?

I mean, I like Miles Davis okay, but he couldnt touch Bird on his best day, I'd even place him behind Thelonius Monk and Coletrane...heck, I may even put him behind Sonny Clark...I mean, sure, he belongs within the top 10, but what is it that I'm missing? I mean, I'll listen to Bird then listen to Miles, and it's almost like the Miles Davis stuff is "watered down" or something compared to Charlie Parker...so why does Miles Davis get all the recognition whenever the subject of the best jazz musician comes up, and Bird for the most part gets snubbed???

Any other big time jazz fans out there care to enlighten me?

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
Parker is hard for people to listen to, at least at first. Davis could play frantically when he chose, but mostly he chose not to.

Also worth noting is Parker's career was short and inconsistent. Davis' was long and inconsistent, but in that time he messed around with enough styles to produce something that might appeal to almost any general pop fan.

My favorite sax guy from that general era is Sonny Rollins.

GT3

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
These great artists were heavily involved with drugs. Was this in fashion or just a coincidence?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange