Red Wings/Alden boat shoe

Tenacious Tassel

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Just curious if anyone can set me straight: Alden and Red Wings makes an identical boat shoe (except the RW version has white stitching under the eyelets). Do you know/suspect the shoe is made by Alden and branded for Red Wings, or vice versa?

I can't imagine two different companies making an identical shoe?

By the way, at $145 @ Zappos, I cannot think of any reason to buy the Aldens...unless perhaps Alden resoles and RW doesn't, although I have to wonder if Alden would be willing to restore a RW shoe like they do BB Aldens.

Tenacious

Btw, I picked up the RWs last week: incredibly supple leather, great fit. Basically a premium, very high quality Topsider (and it's priced that way)

OH-CPA

The Alden Boat is not identical to the Red wing if you look closely at the the additional views for the Red Wing on Zappos, and the Alden on Shoe Mart you will see several differences. I caught two very quickly and stopped looking

1) The sole is different. I am not just talking about the logo. The Alden is not flat but the RW is. And the tread on the alden in the heal is different then the tread on the Red Wing.

2) I am not sure what the name of this part of the shoe is, but the flap with the eye sockets has additional stiching on the RW one.

I stopped looking after I saw this, they are both nice looking two eyelet boat shoes but are not identical.

blastandcast

For what it is worth

I bought a pair of Aldens this spring and then bought a pair of Sperry Defenders to have for on the water, around the yard, etc. (because my previous pair of Sperry's had fallen victim to a neighbor's dog) and I find myself chosing the Sperry's over Alden consistently even for a night out etc. B&C

Tenacious Tassel

I bought a pair of Aldens this spring and then bought a pair of Sperry Defenders to have for on the water, around the yard, etc. (because my previous pair of Sperry's had fallen victim to a neighbor's dog) and I find myself chosing the Sperry's over Alden consistently even for a night out etc. B&C

Why, out of curiousity?

Tenacious

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange