dpihl

Looks as if Regal has gone the way of the world. They may be styled after traditional dress shoes, but many of these are glorified tenny runners. A few shining exceptions, however.

Hey, wait a minute! How did those get in here???

Bic Pentameter

Regal is working hard to go upscale to capture some of the interest in Japan for higher end shoes. Two or three years ago, they openned their flagship store in Ginza with a full range of men's shoes. They offere a pattern order and a bespoke service. I was window shopping on a national holiday, and the saleswoman offered to show me their bespoke workshop. The cordwainers have a workspace in the basement of the building, and four or five were hard at work were hard at work. The bespoke shoes I saw did not quite have the refinement of John Lobb or Edward Green, but if Regal keeps at it, they could turn into a viable bespoke shoe house in the next 5-10 years.

Bic

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Thanks for this, I really like the bit loafers (with leather sole) and the burgundy beefroll pennies (perfect!). Are these available anywhere in North America?

DocD

LeatherSOUL

It's been very interesting to see Regal progress these past few years. They've become a very reputable shoe in the 30,000yen (~$260 US) range which is equivalent to a $150 shoe in America based on the pricing structure of men's leather shoes in Japan.

On a side note, Regal produces Johnston & Murphy shoes in Japan.

neyus

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
When I went to Japan late last year I checked out regal in a few department stores, could not find any of those wacked out styles in store. Most of the shoes I saw were long wingtip bluchers and a few plain toe derbys. All pretty tasteful and conservative. But yeah as other posters have indicated maybe these designs are to cater for the trendy crowd.

Bic Pentameter

It's been very interesting to see Regal progress these past few years. They've become a very reputable shoe in the 30,000yen (~$260 US) range which is equivalent to a $150 shoe in America based on the pricing structure of men's leather shoes in Japan.

On a side note, Regal produces Johnston & Murphy shoes in Japan.

Regal does have some great licenses. When I used to visit the Regal "Shoe Bar" (outlet store) in Yaesu I saw Johnson & Murphy cordovan blutchers and New & Lingwood branded shoes made in Japan that looked nearly identical to what I saw in London. Unfortunately, even the Shoe Bar wanted about Y88,000 for them.

Bic

Last edited:

LeatherSOUL

Regal does have some great licenses. When I used to visit the Regal "Shoe Bar" (outlet store) in Yaesu I saw Johnson & Murphy cordovan blutchers and New & Lingwood branded shoes made in Japan that looked nearly identical to what I saw in London. Unfortunately, even the Shoe Bar wanted about Y88,000 for them.

Bic
Yes and at times you'll find Aldens as well.

neyus

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
They were heavily discounted at the local sati department store. Being among the last pairs. I should have bought it, but I kept procrastinating.

Rene

G

Guest-4856

I stopped in the Ginza store a couple years ago. I was not familiar with their shoes but they looked good in the store window. I left with three pairs of the best shoes for the money that I have ever purchased! Attractive, well-made, and super-comfortable.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.