Regarding Tissot watches

wvuguy

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
For some time, I've needed to replace my go-to-the-movies/dinner watch.....a Citizen Eco-Drive.....which has disappointed me with its performance after a paltry 5 years. FYI, my go-to-work watch is a stainless Rolex Datejust/Jubilee purchased new in 1982.

While I admit to continuing interest in their kind-of snazzy (understand that's a personal opinion) designs, one can understand my caution at investing once again in Citizen. I'm drawn to some of the Seiko Arctura designs, but I must admit I've lost some of my enthusiasm for that line over the years.

I got my first really close look at the Tissot line today at my local jeweler after my wife said she was interested in one. I ended up being quite taken with their PRS200 chronograph-style. The black face, sapphire crystal, and very highly-polished gold/silver tone finish really caught my eye. So, after negotiating what I thought was a fair discount, I decided to pick it up.

I think I made a responsible buy given the purchase price.....comparable with similar watches from Citizen.....but I was looking for some opinions on the general quality of Tissot versus others in its price range (say, $300-$500).

wvuguy

I realize this kind of timepiece isn't for everyone, nor suitable for every situation. But for those who enjoy chrono-styles that.....unlike those from manufacturers like Citizen or Chase Durer......aren't way over the top, I consider this one unusually attractive.

This photo does not do it justice; IMHO, it's much better looking in person.

Last edited:

vh_bu98

Starting Member
I think I made a responsible buy given the purchase price.....comparable with similar watches from Citizen.....but I was looking for some opinions on the general quality of Tissot versus others in its price range (say, $300-$500).

I have the Tissot PRS200 in all steel with the black face and I think it's quite nice. Tissots are good quality Swiss watches, so I don't think you can go wrong with one. I've had mine for 2 or 3 years now and had no issues besides replacing the battery.

I paid $395 for mine and I think I overpaid since I found out that Watch Hut/Sunglass Hut carry Tissots for usually $50-$100 less than jewelry stores.

ltontheqt

I also own a Tissot with a black face. It's going on 6,7,8 years - I lost track. It has served me well. If I recall, I paid no more than $200, but that was a while ago.

Mr. Golem

I really like the classic prince design and that is an attractive chronograph you chose even by my standards(I don't like chronographs).

Khnelben

nice..

Swiss watches. It is said that 60% of the Swiss population wears them.

I have an auto Ballade, very nice, keeps good time.

Andrey

Foghorn

I have a old Tissot, automatic. Bought it new old stock from a local jewler cleaning out his vault. Great watch & was at one time the testing brand for Omega innovations.
F

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
wvuguy:

At the 2000 Olympics in Australia (what a great time, but I only got the Bronze) I bought a Tissot with the Olympic logo.

It's become my travel watch (normally I wear a Rolex - hey, it was great to flash at those conference meetings when I worked in Corporate America ).

The Tissot is a great watch - efficient and good styling! I can't wait to travel so I can wear it.

I also just got a Swiss Army watch (from Sierra Trading Post) to wear when I play golf and I really like it!

wvuguy

wvuguy:

At the 2000 Olympics in Australia (what a great time, but I only got the Bronze) I bought a Tissot with the Olympic logo.

It's become my travel watch (normally I wear a Rolex - hey, it was great to flash at those conference meetings when I worked in Corporate America ).

The Tissot is a great watch - efficient and good styling! I can't wait to travel so I can wear it.

I also just got a Swiss Army watch (from Sierra Trading Post) to wear when I play golf and I really like it!

Andy: I got your CD a few weeks ago, and absolutely love it. I'm sure I'm not the first to recognize this, but it would make a stupendous gift for a young man graduating college and heading for a life in business. Thanks for a great effort !!

Oh, and thanks for the Tissot comments as well

wvuguy

I have the Tissot PRS200 in all steel with the black face and I think it's quite nice. Tissots are good quality Swiss watches, so I don't think you can go wrong with one. I've had mine for 2 or 3 years now and had no issues besides replacing the battery.

I paid $395 for mine and I think I overpaid since I found out that Watch Hut/Sunglass Hut carry Tissots for usually $50-$100 less than jewelry stores.

I paid roughly $350; quite a bit higher than Web prices, but I.....and my wife.....have a history with the jeweler, and have been well-serviced by them. So, I'm not especially conflicted with my own purchase price with that in mind. In fact, my wife walked out with a woman's T-Ring model, as well.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
Andy: I got your CD a few weeks ago, and absolutely love it. I'm sure I'm not the first to recognize this, but it would make a stupendous gift for a young man graduating college and heading for a life in business. Thanks for a great effort !!

Oh, and thanks for the Tissot comments as well

wvguy:

What a great idea!!! :icon_smile_big: THANKS! Just click below to follow through on wvguy's wonderful gift suggestion!!

DaveInPhilly

I'm glad you started this thread. I had been wondering the same thing myself. As much as I would love to outfit myself in Panerai, IWC, and Breitling - Tissot and Invicta are more within my means.

Hedonist

So, Tissot is the Timex (or Casio) of Switzerland, eh ??? :icon_smile_big:

Nah ... Swatch is ... Tissot is a medium range watch ... you can't go wrong ... not sure about 60% of Swiss wearing them though ... hate to look that close ... know what I mean ... people are going to think I'm :crazy: looking down there ...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.