Charles Dana

Honors Member
Bob, many of us have found that buying high quality shirts that require ironing and washing and ironing them ourselves yields great results and longer life for the shirts.
Yes. Learn to love the iron. Put on some music and iron away.

Start with songs by Dean Martin.

Anyway, non-iron cotton shirts don’t breathe. I found that out the hard way.

TKI67

Elite Member
I actually have favorites for ironing and house cleaning. For ironing it's often either Ravel's Rapsodie Espagnole or Rachmaninoff's third piano concerto. For house cleaning it's the Stones with Let It Bleed, Exile on Main Street, and Sticky Fingers leading the way. However, the re-issue of Goat's Head Soup might be a good purchase. Star Star would be superb cleaning music. I love Dean Martin, but I'd save him for drinking negronis. It only takes two to have you singing along!

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I actually have favorites for ironing and house cleaning. For ironing it's often either Ravel's Rapsodie Espagnole or Rachmaninoff's third piano concerto. For house cleaning it's the Stones with Let It Bleed, Exile on Main Street, and Sticky Fingers leading the way. However, the re-issue of Goat's Head Soup might be a good purchase. Star Star would be superb cleaning music. I love Dean Martin, but I'd save him for drinking negronis. It only takes two to have you singing along!
"Goats Head Soup" is an underrated album as almost all the songs are really good, but they just never caught fire on the radio ("Star, Star*" is a hoot). "Exiled..." is an insanely good double album. I never understood why "All Down the Line" wasn't a hit single.

* I read once that The Stones wrote "Star, Star" (it has a rude original title) as an FU to their old record company they were fighting with as they owed it one more song and knew the record company could never release it as a single. I have no idea if that is true or not.

vonSuess

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
IS THERE AN ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM ? i HAVE TO THROW THE SHIRTS AWAY BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS LOOK SOILED. BOB
Perhaps it's something as simple as soil redeposition? You could try the ancient Chinese secret and run them through another cycle without soap for better rinsing. This would also let you build the alkalinity in the original wash cycle for additional cleaning power...

G

Guest-346411

IS THERE AN ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM ? i HAVE TO THROW THE SHIRTS AWAY BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS LOOK SOILED. BOB
I launder my shirt myself and have used a product now named spray and wash pre-treat laundry stain stick on both my non-iron and regular shirts for nearly 50 years. Originally just named Stain Stick, it's still the same product it has always been, a solid stick you rub on the area requiring treatment before laundering. Used with every wash from the beginning, I've found it avoids the formation and build up of these stains, effectively cleaning and keeping clean collars and cuffs on both non-iron and regular shirts.

EclecticSr.

Okay, other than Dean Martin and negronis I don't have clue bout them other guys.
Unravel a rap in Spanish? Or some guys 3rd. piano concert. What happened to the first 2?
You clean your house with some bleeding stone? I used to know a guy who had sticky fingers.
Then for lunch you have some goat's head soup.
Man, don't ever invite me to one of your bashes unless you offer more than one of them negronis.

Dude must be stay as high as the guy who wrote " Nights in white Satan" ;)
"Goats Head Soup" is an underrated album as almost all the songs are really good, but they just never caught fire on the radio ("Star, Star*" is a hoot). "Exiled..." is an insanely good double album. I never understood why "All Down the Line" wasn't a hit single.

* I read once that The Stones wrote "Star, Star" (it has a rude original title) as an FU to their old record company they were fighting with as they owed it one more song and knew the record company could never release it as a single. I have no idea if that is true or not.

Good Lawd, I just get through scratching my head over a dude that cleans his house with a bleeding stone only to find out you have goats head soup as well.

"All down the line" Don't suppose it has anything to do with " I walk the line" ?
I say most confusing.
I don't want to be accused of not staying on thread so, have a couple of Eton shirts, supposedly non iron, I notice no diff. in feel and they do hold up well as opposed to reg. I do my own dress shirts, washing and pressing, though less these days. I don't have a problem with perspiration on cuff or neck soiling but I keep a bar of Laundress stain bar handy with a fairly stiff brush when watch band might.

When washing and pressing (ironing to the uninitiated) I like "Dancing on the ceiling" by one of my favorite guitar players long gone. Mind you I have to crank up the Victrola when I want to listen.

I admit, I do like that Santana guy's playing as well. Dude can pull off some licks. Wait.........did I use Dude three times in this thread? 😍

EclecticSr.

Favorite guitarists in no particular order or achieved fame. Since it was you all who brought music into this thread. I wouldn't want to be accused of derailing.
Rienhart, (sp) Django, played with webbed fingers fused together in a fire, refused to have them separated. Played a low end guitar, Made it sing. I'm fortunate to have an LP .
Smith( dancing on the ceiling) referenced. Have an LP as well.
Wes Montgomery. Harmonics !! Another LP in my possession.
Paul, Les a pioneering legend. Chester and Lester LP. More LP's
Santana, Carlos maybe a newcomer in the order but a natural talent.Yeah I think I got one of those .
Atkins, Chester along with Les a pioneer as well. See above. Another LP?
Cambell, Glen A sought after studio guitarist before his due fame as singer and guitarist. When asked if he can read music, his reply, ........not enough to hurt my playing.
Doc Watson (bluegrass ) blind man. Made a Martin sound angelic. Son no slouch.
Cooder, Ry, who would make you think he's about to run out of neck and frets and then finds more. Never really y achieved typical fame but I believe does well, or has, writing scores.
Not to dismiss ,
Slow hand, a guy headed up "Cream" who now is, or was a major owner that saved that establishment known as Cordings in the U.K. Thank you,
Add in kid named Allman, Greg whom I have yet to hear anyone emulate his Exedrin bottle slides on a Gibson. Layla with the above "slow hand". Imagine if he had not met with a tragic accident at such a young age. "Georgia Peach".
Betts, Dicky ,"Liz Reed". with that "kid " I don't believe they duplicated any riffs in that cut. and it went on for at least 3-4 minutes.
Many more.

Should I go on to Segovia? Or latter day Gypsy Kings? Totally different venue. Nah, How many would know.
Remember, you all brought music to washing and pressing shirts.;)

TKI67

Elite Member
Favorite guitarists in no particular order or achieved fame. Since it was you all who brought music into this thread. I wouldn't want to be accused of derailing.
Rienhart, (sp) Django, played with webbed fingers fused together in a fire, refused to have them separated. Played a low end guitar, Made it sing. I'm fortunate to have an LP .
Smith( dancing on the ceiling) referenced. Have an LP as well.
Wes Montgomery. Harmonics !! Another LP in my possession.
Paul, Les a pioneering legend. Chester and Lester LP. More LP's
Santana, Carlos maybe a newcomer in the order but a natural talent.Yeah I think I got one of those .
Atkins, Chester along with Les a pioneer as well. See above. Another LP?
Cambell, Glen A sought after studio guitarist before his due fame as singer and guitarist. When asked if he can read music, his reply, ........not enough to hurt my playing.
Doc Watson (bluegrass ) blind man. Made a Martin sound angelic. Son no slouch.
Cooder, Ry, who would make you think he's about to run out of neck and frets and then finds more. Never really y achieved typical fame but I believe does well, or has, writing scores.
Not to dismiss ,
Slow hand, a guy headed up "Cream" who now is, or was a major owner that saved that establishment known as Cordings in the U.K. Thank you,
Add in kid named Allman, Greg whom I have yet to hear anyone emulate his Exedrin bottle slides on a Gibson. Layla with the above "slow hand". Imagine if he had not met with a tragic accident at such a young age. "Georgia Peach".
Betts, Dicky ,"Liz Reed". with that "kid " I don't believe they duplicated any riffs in that cut. and it went on for at least 3-4 minutes.
Many more.

Should I go on to Segovia? Or latter day Gypsy Kings? Totally different venue. Nah, How many would know.
Remember, you all brought music to washing and pressing shirts.;)
Can't argue with any of those! Nice eclectic list. I am kind of partial to Anthony Wilson. For slide, Greg Allman was "it," but Jesse Edwin Davis, who played slide on Taj Mahal's Giant Step, is my sentimental favorite, also, sadly, no longer on this earth. Washing and pressing shirts clearly requires suitable music.

vonSuess

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I launder my shirt myself and have used a product now named spray and wash pre-treat laundry stain stick on both my non-iron and regular shirts for nearly 50 years. Originally just named Stain Stick, it's still the same product it has always been, a solid stick you rub on the area requiring treatment before laundering. Used with every wash from the beginning, I've found it avoids the formation and build up of these stains, effectively cleaning and keeping clean collars and cuffs on both non-iron and regular shirts.
It's been a long time since my first job as a chemist, which was formulating products for the laundry and drycleaning trade. As I recall, the active ingredient in the original spray and wash type household laundry pre-spotters was usually perchloroethylene, a common solvent used for drycleaning. Some commercial laundries back then would get the same effect on greasy loads by putting a cup of perc in the wash water along with a built detergent. I'm sure they can't do that now due to pollution, but they probably weren't supposed to do it then, either. If we think this dirt that won't come out of the shirts in question is oily based, take one to the drycleaner and have his run it through the cleaning machine instead of the washer and dryer. That should take care of greasy type soils and stains...

medhat

Wow, weird to look back and see a comment I made 6 years ago! Thankfully it still holds true, I still have both regular and non-iron shirts, but the "regulars" are occasional use shirts (formalwear, etc.) while for day to day work and even in casual shirting almost all my new shirts are non-iron, the only glaring exception is a growing collection of linen casual shirts. I still end up ironing most of the non-irons, which gives it a very "like new" appearance. I have a son heading off to college this fall, who compared to his father has a better fashion sense than when I was of a similar age. My advice to him is absolutely non-iron. He's going to live in a fraternity, and I'm not thinking an iron and ironing board are going to be easily accessible. So to be presentable non-iron it it. I just hope he washes his clothes with some regularity.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.