drpeter

PS: I think SWMBO might be right..."I have a problem with my incessant shoe purchases!" LOL
Eagle, I think you might present SWMBO with the Collectors Theorem which I have mentioned in these forums in the past, albeit in simpler terms:

If N is an element of the set of positive real numbers, R+, and N is the total number of objects in your collection at time Tc, the current point in time, then the total number of objects you need at the next point in time Tc+1, is invariably N+1.

Proof: The proof of the theorem is self-evident. We will leave it to the reader as an exercise.

This mathematical mumbo-jumbo will convince most people that there is at least a modicum of scientific legacy to a collecting obsession which the social critic and cultural observer Dave Barry has suggested borders on madness.

That dodge about the proof, by the way, was/is a standard one in textbooks of mathematics, and one which I used to run into often as a student of the subject. It is likely to infuriate above-mentioned SWMBO. (Please don't tell her I put you up to this defence, she might extend her displeasure toward poor old me).

As you can see, today I have time on my hands, LOL.

TKI67

Advanced Member
On Badger & Blade the use of acronyms is staggering. Among the more frequently used ones are RAD (razor acquisition disorder) and BAD (brush acquisition disorder). I have a deep and abiding love for TLAs ( three letter acronyms) and urge the folk on Trad Style to engage. The first entry, obviously, would be SAD (shoe acquisition disorder). I am not averse to FLAs (four letter acronyms) and would use SHAD for shirts, differentiating that disorder from shoes. I note that several of us have KAD (khakis), but TAD (ties) seems, sadly, to be fading fast.

Lest anyone question my sanity, I come by my love of acronyms honestly having grown up in a USN household and served in the Navy myself, and having followed with a career in government and finance. Think of a life of CDOs of CMOs, LIHTCs, VRDOs, GICs, and TCAP after growing up with AFSWP and COMCRUDESFLOT Eight.

Eagle, roll with your SAD!

drpeter

And here I was, thinking SAD stood for Seasonal Affective Disorder! But I do confess to having KAD and I am still one of the few who will cop to TAD! Four-in-hands and bow-ties.

For a while in the history of our country, Presidents went by three letter acronyms (most Americans have three names, one less than the chaps across the pond): JFK, LBJ, RFK (not quite President, but close) RMN. I don't think Ford or Carter went by their triple initials. And certainly not anyone else who came after that.

In my old country, officialese, the language of the bureaucracy, was English and it was filled with acronyms everywhere, courtesy of the British who administered the country before independence. The police had IG, DSP, ASP, DySP (Dy for Deputy); the military had a whole slew of them starting with C-in-C. The Navy had FOs (not what you think, LOL, but Flag Officer)and CPOs; The Army had RSMs, QSMs, NCOs, JCOs (unique to the Indian Army -- a Junior Commissioned Officer class which fitted between NCOs and COs). And the Air Force had SLs (Squadron Leader, sometimes Squad) WCs (not water closet, but Wing Commander). And all these were just ranks. There were acronyms for all sorts of documents, procedures, legal terms -- if you were not conversant with this stuff, you would have a devil of a time understanding what the bureaucrats were talking about.

And we have LOL, which I use a fair amount. It is a great way of indicating that you are saying something in jest. Digital communication is pretty much tone deaf, so such acronyms are useful.

Last edited:

TKI67

Advanced Member
A noteworthy update. After only a week, these shoes are supremely comfortable. I had prepared myself for a month or two of break-in or the heel blisters I'd get with new Weejuns. I also confirmed that on the Van last sizing down a half size is correct, but I also confirmed that a step narrower is fine for Chromexcel because it is soft and stretchy. I am a big fan of Alden Factory Seconds now.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.