Return of the Old Lacoste Shirts?

Tom Buchanan

As some of the older members may remember, the old Lacoste shirts in the 80s were great shirts. They had thick mesh cotton, nice banded sleeves. and a tennis tail in the back. As prior posts here have commented, the most recent incarnation by Lacoste had none of those things, and were thin, cheap cut shirts. This article claims that J Crew and Lacoste are bringing out the old style, from 1983. I notice these are still made in Peru, but I did not expect for them to really be made in France like they were long ago.

Has anyone seen or purchased one of these retro Lacoste shirts?

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...2766/the-jcrew-polo-shirt-does-it-old-school/

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category...&isFromSearch=true&isNewSearch=true&hash=row0

my19

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
It might be time to stop by the local J Crew. My experience with the Lacoste shirt goes back to the early '70s, and I seem to remember the tails were longer than they appear in the T&C story, but perhaps I mis-remember.

If these replicate the Lacoste of old, I'm sure I'll need to get a couple.

Thanks for passing along this promising information ...

Duvel

Connoisseur
Well, I would be down for it. May be time to dust off the old J. Crew credit card. The price tag does give some cause for a pause, however.

SG_67

Connoisseur
I too liked the old Lacoste shirts and remember wearing them in high school.

Hard to tell with this though. My guess is that the fabric isn't much different from the regular stuff and only the details set it apart and unique to J Crew. I guess an up close and personal inspection would render more information.

The price point, however, is consistent with their current offerings so I don't know about a qualitative difference.

Duvel

Connoisseur
Even if it were just $20 less, I might go for it. Something about a $100 polo shirt just does not feel right, gator or no gator. It doesn't appeal to my aesthetic of frugality in clothing, especially since it is basically a glorified t-shirt.

Last edited:

godan

Elite Member
I'll look at the new ones with great interest. The original Lacostes emerged from an sports background and, I think I remember, were kind to athletic torsos.

universitystripe

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I, too, came close to buying one when I read the article about them on T&C.

However, I'm with you all. $100 for a polo shirt is just too much for me to swallow.

sbdivemaster

4-hole, plastic buttons? Vertical button holes? Croc with embroidered "Lacoste" in the body? Double stitch line at the bottom hem? "Slim fit"?

Sounds like Lacoste ordered a bunch of fakes to cut costs for sale to J Crew...

zzdocxx

Honors Member
As a matter of fact, I was at the local La Coste outlet store several months ago (posted about it).

They do have the old style shirts, only in 4 colors though at that time.

I like them much better !

They are thicker and more cottony, and they are also longer !

Can't remember the prices though.

Don't know if the regular stores have them in more colors.

"Vintage", I think that is what they are calling them. In these shirts the background on the algarator is the same color as the shirt.

whoohoo.gif

SG_67

Connoisseur
So I stopped into J Crew today to browse about and kill some time and viola! They had a few of the shirts in question on hand.

Feeling the body and collar, the fabric felt no different to me than Lacoste's current offerings, at least those I've seen in the Department stores.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
4-hole, plastic buttons? Vertical button holes? Croc with embroidered "Lacoste" in the body? Double stitch line at the bottom hem? "Slim fit"?

Sounds like Lacoste ordered a bunch of fakes to cut costs for sale to J Crew...

Exactly.

Ignoring the fact that I don't like shirts with logos, any logo, I simply don't trust J. Crew to sell anything worth buying these days unless it steeply, steeply discounted, and even then. I used to swear by their boxers, which I always purchased on clearance, but no longer--they jacked the price while quality of fabric plummeted. I agree with those who say that $98 is too much for a polo shirt. I do have a Purple Label polo shirt, as well as one from Robert Talbott and a couple from Paul Stuart, that were purchased secondhand and the difference between them and, say, garden-variety RL is obvious. From what SG reports, that isn't the case here, and that's not surprising. We are, after all, talking about J. Crew.

zzdocxx

Honors Member
Cheapskate that I am, I'm sticking with Duluth Trading. They're longer and the come with pockets.

Sarge I sure had my eye on a big thick cardigan Duluth Trading was selling last year but already had purchased one from Land's End.

Here's the one, have you ordered other things from them ? (Note it is flannel lined, not sure if that is new this year.)

attachment.php

DuluthCardigan.jpg

zzdocxx

Honors Member
Back on topic here, I am happy with my Vintage from the Outlet store, as I mentioned they are longer, thicker fabric.

But they had many many different styles, most of which did not interest me in the least.

WouldaShoulda

Suspended
The tennis tails on mine back in the day were much longer than those pictured.

I'd say the back tails were three inches or so longer than the front.

Tom Buchanan

Good observation on the tennis tail. I did remember it as being more substantial.

Also, I think the stitching of the word "Lacoste" into the crocodile (as these have) was something that was done around the time that Lacoste was licensing out production and fakes were appearing. I do not think it was an original detail. I could be wrong on this though.

As to the $98 price point, maybe I am becoming overly nostalgic in my old age, but I would probably pay $100 for a new version of the true 1980s Lacoste shirt. I would not mow the lawn in it though.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.