Review: Sperry Topsider Defender Boat Shoes

Ron_A

I recently purchased the last thing that I really needed -- another pair of boat shoes. But, with spring in the air, I decided to pull the trigger on a pair of Sperry Topsider Defenders. I had never seen them until recently -- they may even be discontinued (it looks like they were carried at Kohls stores at one point) -- but they're available through shoebuy.com for $69 (see link below), and I first saw them there. I also saw them being offered by forum member Window on the exchange thread (albeit not in my size). The images below are courtesy of Window's post.

At any rate, I felt compelled to write a review because, quite simply, these are probably my favorite pair of boat shoes/topsiders that I've ever owned. They could just be the perfect boat shoe, IMO.

For instance, they are comfortable (with slightly more cushioning than the Authentic Original), but aren't too "sporty." Likewise, they're classic looking (unlike the Sperry Billfish), but a little more updated than the Authentic Original. I really like the color, and the soles are a nice tan color. The dark green trim is tasteful.

To sum things up, I recommend that anyone in the market for boat shoes take a look at these.

3456683651_8af3bf2ac4.jpg

3457501714_645ce001fa.jpg

BeauJest

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I also own more boat shoes than any one human being is ethically or morally entitled. My collection/obsession has branched out to a very wide variety of makes and models to the point where I have only two pairs of Sperrys--both heavily used and abused--left.

I don't want to hijack your thread but I am interested in what the rest of the membership thinks of as their favorite boatshoe.

Memphis88

I also own more boat shoes than any one human being is ethically or morally entitled. My collection/obsession has branched out to a very wide variety of makes and models to the point where I have only two pairs of Sperrys--both heavily used and abused--left.

I don't want to hijack your thread but I am interested in what the rest of the membership thinks of as their favorite boatshoe.

Do a search and you will undoubtedly find several threads on this topic.

FLMike

Connoisseur
Ron, can you tell me how these fit? I wear 9.5M in the vast majority of my shoes, but the A/O's seem to run small for me, requiring a 10. I wonder if that would be the case with the Defender as well. I really like these and Shoebuy as a great deal going right now....$20 off a $50 purchase plus free shipping if you use Paypal.

SlowE30

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I have the same question as FLCracka: I don't own any sperry's, but I want to take advantage of the deal he was kind enough to post. I wear a 9.5D in AE and old school Bass Weejuns, and I don't plan to wear socks with boat shoes. To order a 9.5 or a 10?

Ron_A

In my experience, as best I can tell they run "true to size." In other words, I wear an 8.5 wide in most shoes and that's what I have purchased in these (and other Sperry Topsider) shoes. I wouldn't necessarily recommend going up 1/2 size in Sperry Topsiders.

WarrenB

I picked up these exact same shoes at the sperry-keds outlet store back in February. I wear mine all the time, so much that I need to pick up another pair of Sperrys off shoebuy. I didn't know they were still being sold, I just assumed they were discontinued because they were at the outlet store. I second the nomination for the Defenders, especially for 44 bucks!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange