RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know

guitone

Elite Member
Nrs 5 and 8 work the best for me.

The chisel toe last B543 last (the one used for the Craftsman) fits a lot like the AE Nr 2 last. My suggestion would be 9D in this last rather than B529.

Sator, thanks....does it also work nicely for those of us how like the 4 best (that is still my favorite)? The two is not bad but sometime I feel the toe box is a bit too shallow...not shure how these boots will be.

Also, this would leave out the forum boot, althougth I am not sure it is still available anyway. The price on the forum boot sure looks good, but I guess if I order from your source in Austrailia the prices are all good.

Joel

Sator

Honors Member
Also, this would leave out the forum boot, althougth I am not sure it is still available anyway. The price on the forum boot sure looks good, but I guess if I order from your source in Austrailia the prices are all good.

They are a custom order and available anytime. But if you are particular about the fit of the last, ordering over the internet will always be frought with difficulties, unless you manage to get to the NY store and try them on.

guitone

Elite Member
They are a custom order and available anytime. But if you are particular about the fit of the last, ordering over the internet will always be frought with difficulties, unless you manage to get to the NY store and try them on.

Sator, thanks...I had planned on calling the NY store to check to see what they may have in my size....I am not sure they will carry anyting narrow enough. From what I have seen the NY shop will charge way more than your Aussie connection.

detang

Starting Member
I noticed that you have Crockett & Jones sizing for your RM Williams. I had a pair but had to sell it on ebay as it didn't fit quite right. Even after 4 years of wear, it was sold for much more than I'd expected ($90). I currently wear Crockett and Jones size 7.5 on the 337 lasts (Weymouth). What would that be on the "Forum Special" boot if I wanted a slimmer more elegant shape?

Sator

Honors Member
Sorry I don't own anything on the C&J 337 last. It has never really appealled to me but would have posted the info if I did have a pair.

meister

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
RMs

I took a copy of your work of art down to the George Street store for the use of the helpful staff there so that tourists could get the 'heads up' on our national iconic boot.

I explained that brilliant way you set it all up and the 'boot to order template' for foreigners unused to Aussie sizes in RMs.

They were gobsmacked that someone went to so much trouble - and grabbed it gleefully with thanks.

Sator

Honors Member
I took a copy of your work of art down to the George Street store for the use of the helpful staff there so that tourists could get the 'heads up' on our national iconic boot.

I explained that brilliant way you set it all up and the 'boot to order template' for foreigners unused to Aussie sizes in RMs.

They were gobsmacked that someone went to so much trouble - and grabbed it gleefully with thanks.

I'm a bit worried. RMW doesn't like Steve selling their boots at such low prices. He had a monopoly on the Forum Special. Don't be surprised if they pressure him even more to raise his prices or refuse to sell to him. The people at head office won't like it one bit. :(

Last edited:

LeicaLad

Let's hope Meister didn't blow it for both Steve and the Forum...

Sator,

You are clearly wise in the ways of RM Williams, among other subjects. I wish to ask a question.

I have never been fond of the elastic-sided Chelsea, but really do appreciate RM Williams quality. On several wonderful trips to Australia, I have come away with a variety of personal purchases, a substantial majority of which were RM Williams. Moleskin pants and half a dozen shirts from the last trip, alone. BUT, no Chelsea boots.

Your Forum Special looks very interesting, and I have really appreciated reading all your work in coming to that design. For me, a Stockman jodhpur-type boot appeals more than the Chelsea.

My question is whether it would make any sense to order a special Stockman upper made to the Forum Special last and sole choice?

Would this be an abomination, or something quite interesting? Perhaps, the Stockman is best seen as a set piece, true in it’s own design. Perhaps the mis-matching of parts would not make a working whole. I’m not an expert, by any stretch. I have found your descriptions of the Forum Special very appealing, and just wonder if matching it to a jodhpur upper would work?

This is a very subjective question, obviously. But I’m sure your view would be a well informed one. Other opinions welcomed, too. Thank you.

69monaro

Sator,

Ripper thread.

I lived on a cattle property for 10+ years in Qld and I can vouch that all bushmen have at least one pair of RM Williams' boots (and moleskins, and denim jeans). However, I had no idea that the boots were of such fine quality and were sought worldwide. If I recall, RM Williams does a poor job of marketing its products to others outside of the bush/country/outback demographic.

It would be quite a shock to many a cattlemen and farmer that a bunch of seppos/yanks in NYC were wearing these boots! I'll be placing an order soon.

Now all we need is a source for Drum, Tally-Ho's, and XXXX to complete the outback experience.

Cheers,

69Monaro.

guitone

Elite Member
I'm a bit worried. RMW doesn't like Steve selling their boots at such low prices. He had a monopoly on the Forum Special. Don't be surprised if they pressure him even more to raise his prices or refuse to sell to him. The people at head office won't like it one bit. :(

I was a bit worried about that when I read the post. I emailed Steve yesterday about my narrow foot and he is really a gentleman. I am going to send in a tracing with a sock on to see what he recommends, but he seems to agree with our good friend Sator so far...now this is a question for those of you wearing this boot, what type, thickness of sock are you using and do you recommend.

Thanks

Joel

alerik

I'm in the UK, can the forum special with the brass screws be resoled by good cobblers, or do they have to be returned to a special RMW resoler?

I've been following this thread for ages now and I put off purchasing because of all the variables in sizing/leather/soles etc. The forum special makes it so much easier - Thank you!!!

Has anyone ordered from the UK yet? did you have to pay any import duty on receipt?

Kind regards
alerik.

Sator

Honors Member
I suggest either calling the London store or e-mailing Steve about the question of resoling.

kbuzz

did i miss the pics of the forum special?

Sorry, couldnt find it. I wanted to take it to the nyc store so i could confirm sizing before any special order.....thanks

yes im a park avenue 9D, alden 9D usa

Hennessy

I called the NYC store - the person I spoke to recommended a welted sole because no one in the States can re-sole the nailed version.

guitone

Elite Member
I called the NYC store - the person I spoke to recommended a welted sole because no one in the States can re-sole the nailed version.

From reading the website is suggests dropping the shoes at any RM Williams store to have them repaired properly...seems like the NY store is failing to give good information again, too bad. From my converstaions with them, and I hate to point a finger, but as a salesprofessional, they seemed lazy.

One question though, I know Sator suggests the brass screws offer a more elegant boot, but is it that much, is the goodyear welt a good way to go that may be easier to get repaired here in the states? for those you you wearing them, what do you think?

Last edited:

Max

Starting Member
Hello everyone, it's my first post here. I have a question for you gentlemen who wear elastic-sided boots.

I notice the hem of my trousers occasionally catches on the back pull-tab of my boots after I get up from a seat. It's rather unsightly to walk around like that during the times I'm unaware it happened.

Is this a common occurrence for you as well? It's the only point which makes me hesitate to buy the elastic-sided RM Williams.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Hello everyone, it's my first post here. I have a question for you gentlemen who wear elastic-sided boots.
I notice the hem of my trousers occasionally catches on the back pull-tab of my boots after I get up from a seat. It's rather unsightly to walk around like that during the times I'm unaware it happened.
Is this a common occurrence for you as well? It's the only point which makes me hesitate to buy the elastic-sided RM Williams.

Max; Welcome to the forum! On several occassions I have experienced the situation you describe, when wearing my Craftsman boots. However, with the pull tab you mention being crafted of flexible fabric, it takes just a step or two for the trouser cuff to fall back over the boot heel...not a big problem from my perspective. Otherwise, the loop could be trimmed away, with the problem being solved through such surgical intervention.

Max

Starting Member
Thanks for the welcome! Your experience is a little different from mine. When it happens to me, the hem of my trousers remains caught on the leather edge of the boot which attaches to the pull tab. So it's possible for me to walk around looking silly for indefinite periods of time, until I sit down again or until I notice.

Trimming the loop does indeed solve the problem! I took a sharp razor to my beloved pair of Blundstones when they finally fell apart and removed the loop. However, I really wouldn't recommend anyone doing this as it's a little unsightly, even after carefully and neatly trimming right down to the leather.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.