Robert McNamara Photo Essay

Tom Buchanan

By his own admission, a contraversial historical figure. One thing that is not contraversial was his Trad credentials.

Soak in the second picture of McNamara and JFK in Hyannis. Natural shoulder nirvana.

If someone knows how to post these to the Trad Men thread, please do so.

AdamsSutherland

Notice Jack's buttoning preference?

I'm posting from my phone, but I assume you're speaking of the fastened bottom button instead of the top?

I think I remember reading about this way back. Maybe in the American/Trad thread? I forget. I believe that the consensus was "because he could."

Joe Beamish

Elite Member
Allowing for JFK's preference for two button European style suits, I must say it's hard to look at McNamara (and anyone else except a lovely woman) when he's standing next to Kennedy, who always looks so smashing.

PJC in NoVa

Connoisseur
I'm posting from my phone, but I assume you're speaking of the fastened bottom button instead of the top?

I think I remember reading about this way back. Maybe in the American/Trad thread? I forget. I believe that the consensus was "because he could."

This could be a fignewton of my imagination, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the buttoning-both-buttons thing had something to do with the back brace/truss that JFK had to wear so often, and his theories about how to conceal it. His clothes were custom-made in part b/c they were designed with the object of hiding or minimizing the brace very much in mind.

If you read Michael Dobbs's recent book on the Cuban Missile Crisis, there's some disconcerting chapter-and-verse about just what a severe physical wreck JFK really was, and how feuding teams of doctors and therapists around the White House fought over how to help him manage his various ailments (the basic dispute was drugs vs. exercise). His back was an awful mess.

Tom Buchanan

Wow, everyone is the critic.

To those just learning about traditional clothing, yes JFK preferred a Paddock jacket, which was more continental. Some people claim it was because of his back brace, but who knows. That is why I said the picture was natural shoulder nirvana, not 3/2.

https://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2007/06/jfks-paddock-model-jackets.html

McNamara's tie in the 70s was pretty bad, but even that was probably on the conservative side in the 70s. As PJC and Joezaza pointed out, that tie was not very wild for the 70s.

Last edited:

kevinbelt

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
May I ask, what is a paddock jacket? Googling returned a bunch of motorcycle jackets. I presume that is not what JFK wore.

-k

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.