Men's Clothing Forums banner

Roger Moore dies at 89

8K views 74 replies 23 participants last post by  Fading Fast 
#1 ·
Sad news. While I will always consider Connery to be Bond, my childhood was the Moore movies.
Love to hear your thought especially regarding his clothing.

#2 ·
I agree with you as Connery will always be Bond to me. Tha being said the films with Sir Roger Moore were still entertaining. I loved the double breasted suits and jackets he frequently wore. I actually think I found I trace it back, he was the one that started my attraction to double breasted jackets. Every interview I can recall watching of him he was the epitome of class and an English Gentleman. He will be missed but forever remembered.

#9 ·
RIP

For clothing, very trad clothing, his role as "The Saint" offered up his best wardrobe role as he had the unfortunate timing to play Bond in the sartorially challenged '70s. Also, "The Saint," for the time period, is a fun show with some amazing "guest stars."
I wouldn't say his clothes were particularly trad (the jacket cuts and shirts were quite anti-trad), but they were very 1960s and so creative.

#12 ·
I wouldn't say his clothes were particularly trad (the jacket cuts and shirts were quite anti-trad), but they were very 1960s and so creative.
I have no doubt you are correct, I was referring to things he wore in the show (from my long-ago memory banks) like Harrington Jackets, canvas sneakers, button-down-collared shirts, club ties, desert boots, etc. Of course, it was a British wardrobe overall, but my memory, as noted, was a lot of trad stuff also.

#13 ·
I have no doubt you are correct, I was referring to things he wore in the show (from my long-ago memory banks) like Harrington Jackets, canvas sneakers, button-down-collared shirts, club ties, desert boots, etc. Of course, it was a British wardrobe overall, but my memory, as noted, was a lot of trad stuff also.
No canvas sneakers (there were canvas espadrilles) and never button-down collared shirts (other men occasionally wore them) on the show for Roger Moore, but there was plenty of the rest. Those were all British items first before the trads appropriated them. Moore wore a navy blazer in half the episodes, but it wasn't a trad blazer with the highly swelled chest and ticket pocket. The colour episodes featured a lot of new Edwardian style.

#14 ·
No canvas sneakers (there were canvas espadrilles) and never button-down collared shirts (other men occasionally wore them) on the show for Roger Moore, but there was plenty of the rest. Those were all British items first before the trads appropriated them. Moore wore a navy blazer in half the episodes, but it wasn't a trad blazer with the highly swelled chest and ticket pocket. The colour episodes featured a lot of new Edwardian style.
I bow before superior knowledge as I know that my shaky old memory of the show can't hold a candle to your encyclopedia knowledge of it.

#15 ·
I did find this picture ⇩ which the caption said was from "The Saint" show. No luck on the canvas sneakers yet - but if my memory is 50% accurate from so many years ago, I'll take it.

And please understand, I am serious that your knowledge of this stuff is incredible and far superior to my surface / shaky memory - I just had a strong image of him in a button-down-collared shirt from the show in my head (also canvas sneakers - but, again, so far no luck finding that - there are many fewer pictures of his footwear out there).

And heck, the image of the button-down-collared shirt might not be from "The Saint," but based on how old he looks in it, it seems about the right time period.

#16 ·
The Bond portrayed by Moore was pretty much a parody, almost a caricature of Fleming's original, but I don't know who could've been better in it. It seemed like he knew it was a bit of a joke, but he was having a good time and wanted us to join in.

#17 · (Edited)
^ to be sure Moonraker and View To A Kill were among the worst Bond movies ever. That was not the fault of Roger Moore however. Unlike others, he seems to have had a lot of fun after no longer being the character and embracing it.

I remember a "Top Gear" special he did where they reviewed the Bond card and then tried making budget versions of them.

#19 ·
^ to be sure Moonraker and View To A Kill were among the worst Bond movies ever. That was not the fault of Roger Moore however. Unlike others, he seems to have had a lot of fun after no longer being the character and embracing it.

I remember a "Top Gear" special he did where they reviewed the Bond card and then tried making budget versions of them.
The times, the writing, maybe his interpretation of the character, but his Bond movies were, for me (other than "The Spy Who Loved Me") the weakest ones, but that he embraced the roll afterwards says a lot.

It is a little exhausting all the angst some of the other former Bonds have about the role. I get there's a typecasting issue, but come on; they played Bond, made money, got women and became famous. So it comes with some baggage - I can think of a lot of worst things.

Moore's embrace of the role and its afterlife makes him likable and, IMHO, very mature about it all.

#21 ·
I did find this picture ⇩ which the caption said was from "The Saint" show. No luck on the canvas sneakers yet - but if my memory is 50% accurate from so many years ago, I'll take it.

And please understand, I am serious that your knowledge of this stuff is incredible and far superior to my surface / shaky memory - I just had a strong image of him in a button-down-collared shirt from the show in my head (also canvas sneakers - but, again, so far no luck finding that - there are many fewer pictures of his footwear out there).

And heck, the image of the button-down-collared shirt might not be from "The Saint," but based on how old he looks in it, it seems about the right time period.

Well, there you go! That is from The Saint. His typical shirt in the black-and-white series had a semi-spread collar and double cuffs. He wore it with his suits, blazers and sports coats. That must have been a one-off. Moore regularly wore button-down collars in the mid '80s, but I'm not sure why. Frank Foster must have been going through a button-down phase, since Foster often gave Moore whatever he was into at the time.

#22 ·
I grew up with Roger Moore as Bond. I liked his version of Bond - he was elegant and witty.

Who doesn't remember the car chase in For Your Eyes Only when the wildly shooting villains' car are side by side with Bond's. He nods politely since it's the first time they meet - don't forget your manners even if you're being shot at!

In his later Bond movies he did seem to wear an exceptionally high shirt collar - maybe a bit too high since it drew your eyes to it immediately. I always wondered why, since - to my knowledge - he didn't develop a 'chicken neck' or anything...?

#24 ·
My first memories of Sir Roger were of him in "The Saint", a series I very much liked and still occasionally look for.

I started off with Sean Connery as James Bond - quite a role change from "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" - and, at first, had difficulty making the swith from Sean Connery. Fortunately, the Lazenby Bond made it easier for me and I came to enjoy Sir Roger's Bond. I don't recall paying too much attention to his clothing as most of it just wasn't my style. But when it was, it really was.

Sir Roger, may you find continued happiness trodding heaven's boards.

#25 ·
In his later Bond movies he did seem to wear an exceptionally high shirt collar - maybe a bit too high since it drew your eyes to it immediately. I always wondered why, since - to my knowledge - he didn't develop a 'chicken neck' or anything...?
His collars got taller and bigger overall in 1968 when Frank Foster started making his shirts. The tall collar helped make Moore's long neck look not so long, and by bringing the collar and tie closer to his face it helped draw attention to his face. His collars got even taller in The Spy Who Loved Me, which drew attention to itself due to its very long points. Starting in the 1980s with For Your Eyes Only, he wore tall spread collars (but not quite as tall as in the late 70s) that were very well-balanced to his face and neck. I think that these were the best for him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.