Haboochi

Starting Member
Can anyone advise one who was born to late as to what sort of store Rogers Peet was? I recently acquired some very interesting vintage items that were all purchased from this store in the late 1930's.

Literide

Elite Member
485 5th Ave, was the last outpost, still has the name on the building. There were several others over the years. Very 1st was Broadway and Warren. Also Herald Sq., Further up 5th by Rock center, and in Boston

comrade

Back in the 50s and 60s it was my impression that Roger Peet
competed w/ Brooks Bothers at least in the middle range or the
BB 346 shop merchandise. My Bar Mitzvah suit came from Rogers Peet.
It was charcoal Gray flannel and worn with a light colored tattersall vest...
very " Ivy League" . My Dad was "trad" and set the example.

Shirtmaven

Inactive user
I remember stopping into the store in the early 80's. At that point it was nothing special, Maybe even the Men's warehous of it's day.

One of my sewers workekd there as an alteration tailor when he first moved to to NYC.
There was another store in the neighbor hood that was located on a second floor. This was across the street from the LIbrary. It was a trad store that discounted better lines of clothing. I can not remember the name.
Carl

Son of Beau Brummell

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Shirtmaven, I believe that the store on the second floor was Burton. It was a very nice shop.

Burton used to run a tiny ad in the front pages of the Times, and the ads' theme was something to the effect that "remember those great buttondown shirts of yesteryear? Burton remembers."

Mark Seitelman
www.seitelman.com

stylestudent

I shopped there infrequently in the '60s. Didn't have the style or quality of Brooks or Chipp. Somewhat cheaper (shirts were $6.50 compared to Brooks at $8.00 or so). Nothing special.

Steven

Literide

Elite Member
quote:Originally posted by Son of Beau Brummell

Shirtmaven, I believe that the store on the second floor was Burton. It was a very nice shop.

Burton used to run a tiny ad in the front pages of the Times, and the ads' theme was something to the effect that "remember those great buttondown shirts of yesteryear? Burton remembers."

Mark Seitelman
www.seitelman.com
Burton was around the corner on 41st st., ground level. They were also on Main st in East Hampton. A real trad shop, finaly wore out a blazer a few years ago I had from them.

Haboochi

Starting Member
A thankyou to everyone for the information. It would seem that Rogers Peet took its style cues from the "trad" shops, but also offered a little more in the way of trendy merchandise. The items that I have acquired include a dark charcoal double-breasted overcoat with a Chesterfield collar, a couple of ties, and some clocked wool socks that had never been used. In fact, the socks still had there price tag on them. The coat is quite, quite heavy. I do not know what weight of wool it is but I do know that it has broken plastic hangers while in various coat checks. A lot of hand stitching on the coat, though not as much as a Brooks Bros. number I have of similiar vintage. That one is remarkable, it is fully lined in a coordinated wool tartan. Getting back to the subject, I would assume that Rogers Peet was a half-decent place to shop in its hey-day with a mind toward the more middle of the road shopper. Pretty decent quality but more affordable than say a Brooks Bros. or Tripler.

MJH III

About Town

here are some lyrics from Marry the Man a song in Guys and Dolls,

Marry the man today
Give him the girlish laughter
Give him your hand today
And save the fist for after.
Slowly introduce him to the better things
Respectable, conservative, and clean
Readers Digest
Guy Lombardo
Rogers Peet
Golf!
Galoshes
Ovaltine!
But marry the man today

Riahvi

Literide

Elite Member
I think RPs hay day was earlier in the century. I seem to recall them trying an expansion in the 70's. They opened in Smith-Haven Mall on LI for a little while. Cant imagine trying to sell trad menswear in the middle of Suffolk County in the 70's would have been succesful at all.

hml

Starting Member
Burton started off on the 2nd floor of a Fifth Ave office bldg and later moved around the corner to a street-level storefront. I always felt it wasn't the same when it made the move. I fondly recall climbing the lobby steps up to the second floor, opening the door to what looked like a normal office suite and finding a low-key (or lower-key!) version of BB. Quality was very good and the sales help was very friendly. There even was an older gentleman (probably 55-60ish; I was in college so he seemed even older...) named "Burt" who I assume was the big kahuna. Burton's off-beat location made it feel like one was in on a secret. I wonder where they are now...? Re Rogers Peet: I recall buying my first oxford button downs there...Three for $30 was the deal. Large store on 5th. Sales help seemed about 20-30 past their peak. Still, it was a fixture. Sadly, the only remnant of what old NY used to be like when it was truly great is Nat Sherman on 42nd and 5th. One can only hope that Nat's will remain a fixture.

Literide

Elite Member
Burton started off on the 2nd floor of a Fifth Ave office bldg and later moved around the corner to a street-level storefront. I always felt it wasn't the same when it made the move. I fondly recall climbing the lobby steps up to the second floor, opening the door to what looked like a normal office suite and finding a low-key (or lower-key!) version of BB. Quality was very good and the sales help was very friendly. There even was an older gentleman (probably 55-60ish; I was in college so he seemed even older...) named "Burt" who I assume was the big kahuna. Burton's off-beat location made it feel like one was in on a secret. I wonder where they are now...? Re Rogers Peet: I recall buying my first oxford button downs there...Three for $30 was the deal. Large store on 5th. Sales help seemed about 20-30 past their peak. Still, it was a fixture. Sadly, the only remnant of what old NY used to be like when it was truly great is Nat Sherman on 42nd and 5th. One can only hope that Nat's will remain a fixture.
Nat Sherman has moved East on 42nd next to what was once the 42nd street entrance to Rogers Peet

Penang Lawyer

Rogers Peet was in competiton with Brooks & others. It was a conservative stlye store but with some falir. Think of Paul Stuart today.
While I was in prep school I worked two summer jobs in their advertising dept. My job was to cut out the competors adds paste them into a very large book, enter the date and the actual weather conditions for that day.
My First Communion suit(white) and my Confirmation suit (That's when you got to wear long trousers) all were bought from RP. Later when I was commissioned my Army dress uniforms were made by them. They had three stores one a Warren St(opsite City Hall) 41st and 5th and 600 Fifth avenue. The business was sold to the Cluet Peabody Company around 1980.

OCULUS NY

Memories...

Sheesh, I haven't heard or thought about these stores in ages: Rogers Peet, Triplers, etc. My impression was that RP was a notch below Brooks, which was the standard. Triplers was a notch above that standard. Maybe we could say that RP was on a par with Lord and Taylor (which is still around) but has always been conservative. (as opposed to Chipp or Paul Stuart being much brighter and updated)

While we are on memory lane, (or at least Madison), let's not forget Abercrombie and Fitch. Now THAT was a store. I will never forget their floor displays and depth and breadth of stock; astounding. What bears their name today is beyond laughable.

And if you needed leather goods, pop down the block to Mark Cross. It was nice to know that you could never go wrong in those kinds of stores; knowledgeable sales people wouldn't let you...and you could charge it, if you didnt have a check, much less an "account!" :rolleyes:

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Welcome.

I have a lot of vintage Rogers Peet stuff, altho it wasn't vintage when I bought it, in the early 60's in school in NYC. I was attracted by the name, still am, and got my fraternity bros to all buy their black Theta Chi blazers there.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange