Mr. Di Liberti

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
quote:Originally posted by J. Homely

I completely disagree that it's some trend towards egalitarianism
That may very well be the case, I don't know, but...

a trend towards individualism and non-conformity
I fail to see, how dressing down exactly like the rest of the flock is individual or nonconformist.

It could also be said... By choosing to Dress Up by todays standards rather old fashioned, that we are giving the Sartorial finger to the trendites and saying...

"I do my own thing, my own way, and don't have to impress you or anyone else".
Anthony

Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Coolidge24

quote:Originally posted by burnedandfrozen

.I took her comment to mean "Don't dress nicer then us because you make us look bad and/or uncomfortable". So as long as we are like everyone else we feel better and we make others feel better since we are all validating one another.
One of the reasons I dress decently (not the primary one to be sure) is to do just what bothers your sister: to make my poorly dressed peers look bad and uncomfortable. Some will say I would lose a lot of friends this way but so far it's worked the other way around.

On other parts of these forums we discussed the movie "Metropolitan" (yes, it's about tr-ds, which i favor). One key line though, is when the slutty girl Cynthia says "this is so embarassing" and Charlie Black, paragon of standards, says "a little embarassment would do you some good".

"A little embarassment would do you some good" is the implied response I give to those who would suggest I dress down to the t-shirt jeans (or even untucked stripey shirt with square toed shoes) level so it won't make them feel embarassed/uncomfortable. I want to invalidate their appearance as much as possible.

DougNZ

Elite Member
quote:I want to invalidate their appearance as much as possible.
That is why I tend to dress a little young fogey: I know I look good in well-fitting, well co-ordinated clothes, I'm told I look good and I believe I dress appropriately for the situation - certainly by the standards that were instilled in me in my younger years.

I'm currently at university and dress more like a lecturer than a student. people say I look 'too dressy' at times, but in a year or two, those same people will be in the professional world where my 'too dressy' emsembles will not even cut it for business casual.

What I wear is a challenge to raise the satorial bar a little and for some of my older collegues to grow up and start acting like adults and not retarded teenagers.

J. Homely

quote:Originally posted by Mr. Di Liberti

I fail to see, how dressing down exactly like the rest of the flock is individual or nonconformist.
Well if no one conforms, I suppose it could be said that they are all being conformist in their non-conformity.
;)

David V

Well if no one conforms, I suppose it could be said that they are all being conformist in their non-conformity.
;)
And that is the has always been the joke on non-conforming.

David

Everything went to hell when we let California have its own pizza.

Nathan Detroit

DEMOCRACY is the root cause... and we haven't yet hit bottom. It's the Degradation of the Democratic Dogma, baby. Henry Adams was right.

quote:Originally posted by jonlien

I see a general decline in proper attire everywhere I go. Granted I don't fly around the world often, but I do fly once a month within the US.

I see it in airports, restaurants and the streets. This is a disturbing trend because dressing poorly in public is indicative of a lack of respect for other people.

When did people started to dress so badly? What was the turning point in history when people decided to look like slobs?

All comments are welcome!

Mr. Knightly

Didn't the Scousers start the trend of wearing athletic clothing as streetwear? Nothing has been more detrimental to the fabric of society in the last 1000 years.

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man.

Fogey

Elite Member
Actually, the root cause is Chuck Norris. The smart clothes are much too wise to risk going out in public and risk an encounter with him.

There is no trend towards sloppy dressing, only a list of clothes that Chuck Norris allows to live.

The Gabba Goul

Elite Member
[br
a trend towards individualism and non-conformity
I know exactly what he's saying...for a more exaggerated example...look at teenagers...they're all "non-conformists" that's why you can go to any high school in America and see hundreds of these "individualists" with green hair and the exact same metal hoops and bars embedded in some part of their face or body that it shouldnt be, wearing the same style of clothing, listening to the same type of music all with that same imbicilic expression on their face...but int hey're mind, they're all such daring non-conformists...the thing that they fail to realize is that when everybody is a "non conformist" the become nothing more than sheep...the same could be said about these people whom dress like slobs...it's like I said...they're all too self important, and dont feel that the conventional rules of society apply to them...

[image]https://radio.weblogs.com/0119318/Screenshots/rose.jpg[/image]"See...What I'm gonna do is wear a shirt only once, and then give it right away to the laundry...eh?
A new shirt every day!!!"​

VS

quote: Originally posted by JLPWCXIII

Actually, the root cause is Chuck Norris. The smart clothes are much too wise to risk going out in public and risk an encounter with him.

There is no trend towards sloppy dressing, only a list of clothes that Chuck Norris allows to live.
If Chuck Norris doesn't like you, how can you like yourself?

It's just not worth a roundhouse kick, if you know what I mean.

Sartorius Rex

I feel this is similar to what is happening to the English language; there is a definite trend from formal and proper to casual and relaxed.

The trend, which some might argue was bound to occur anyway, is indubitably exacerbated by recent popular culture. Additionally, as others have stated, all trends are cyclical (the recent fashion shows are perfect examples of this), and naturally reverse their course every now and again.

I#8217;m not sure if I would define it as dressing badly, but rather dressing with a different set of standards in mind. A hamburger may not be haute cuisine, but that doesn#8217;t mean it can#8217;t be enjoyable in its own right, if you follow my drift.

Mr. Di Liberti

quote:Originally posted by Sartorius Rex

I feel this is similar to what is happening to the English language; there is a definite trend from formal and proper to casual and relaxed.

The trend, which some might argue was bound to occur anyway, is indubitably exacerbated by recent popular culture.

I'm not sure if I would define it as dressing badly, but rather dressing with a different set of standards in mind.
Good comparison between manner of speech and dress. Pop culture most certainly has played a role (IMO) in the devolution of standards.

However dressing in jeans and t-shirt is not synonymous with slobbery, I've seen slobs in suits.

Anthony

Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.