NewYorkBuck

quote:Second, isn't a huge part of this money? Having a collection of blazers, trousers, linen shirts, and what not for casual clothes is beyond most people's means.
Agreed, but the average person is a heck of a lot wealthier now than they were in the 1940s. Also, I used to live by Columbia University, right on the edge of Harlem. If I had a nickel for every brand new North Face jacket or Pele Pele sweatshirt I saw, I would be a rich man. Here are people who are supposed to be among the poorest of the poor customarily wearing $300 jackets and $100 sweatshirts. Surely if one can afford overpriced garbage wear like that, they could afford a decent blazer that would last 10 times as long. Ergo, I dont think its a money thing either.

mpcsb

Inactive User
quote:Originally posted by NewYorkBuck
...If I had a nickel for every brand new North Face jacket or Pele Pele sweatshirt I saw, I would be a rich man. Here are people who are supposed to be among the poorest of the poor customarily wearing $300 jackets and $100 sweatshirts.
Yes, but as a friend of my says, these are people who will never own their own home either.

Mr. Di Liberti

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
quote:Originally posted by shelterdog

Isn't a huge part of this money? Having a collection of blazers, trousers, linen shirts, and what not for casual clothes is beyond most people's means.
Yes and No...

Having made the transition from jeans, t-shirts and work boots/sneakers, to cotton or wool casual pants, collared shirts and appropriate leather footwear for every day, I can honestly say the cost doesn't have to be greater.

In fact I spend less for casual pants then I ever did for Levis, shirts acan be a bit more and the cost of shoes are about equal. The first sport coat I got cost less then a jeans jacket.

I believe whats more to the point here are values. Whats worn when, where and how.

Wearing jeans with t-shirt and boots does not make one a slob, how they are worn is the deciding factor.

Anthony

Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage ~ Theodore Roosevelt

Coolidge24

quote:Originally posted by Mr. Di Liberti

Originally posted by shelterdog

Isn't a huge part of this money? Having a collection of blazers, trousers, linen shirts, and what not for casual clothes is beyond most people's means.
Do you know how many mint condition Brooks Brothers suits I have purchased at thrift stores for under $30? And even if they weren't mint (ie obviously not worn or rarely worn) if they are well made they're good anyway, a dry cleaning=like new.

In theory, one could be better dressed than most of America with a few store-bougth pairs of khakis, a few new B2 dress shirts, and a slew of thrift-bought suits and blazers for under $300.

tiger02

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
quote:Originally posted by mpcsb

...If I had a nickel for every brand new North Face jacket or Pele Pele sweatshirt I saw, I would be a rich man. Here are people who are supposed to be among the poorest of the poor customarily wearing $300 jackets and $100 sweatshirts.
Yes, but as a friend of my says, these are people who will never own their own home either.
Are you kidding me? Columbia students poorest of the poor, will never own their own homes? Trendy is one thing, but a North Face jacket (not the line KMart carries) will last every bit as long as a good suit--longer, if you take into account blizzard usage.

Tom

--------------------
Death is...whimsical...today

Goblin

A lot of people just don't give much thought to how they dress - for one reason or another, it's not a priority in their life. It's not necessarily a sign of a blighted worldview.

I don't think it has a thing to do with "respect," and I think one should take care not to make one's own peculiar obsession the benchmark for making psychological judgments about other people.

For instance, if you train hard with weights and are otherwise in good physical condition, you will encounter other fitness enthusiasts who judge other people based on their physical fitness. These people would look at many of the posters on this forum - based on these posters' descriptions of themselves - and think (or say) "Sure, he's dressed very nicely, but he's obviously overweight and weak. Nice clothes, pathetic physique - what's the point? Why bother dressing nicely if you don't even have enough respect for yourself to not be a chicken-shouldered, sizzle-chested tub of goo? You're going to look awful no matter how you dress. America is filled with fat losers who don't care about themselves or their children."

Less-than-peak physical condition just means you're not into working out or don't have optimal nutrition. Dressing like "a slob" just means that you're deficient or apathetic when it comes to dressing yourself. That's it. It's not any more than a superficially useful window for plumbing an individual's psyche or a society's ethos.

quote:Originally posted by Mr. Di Liberti

quote:Originally posted by shelterdog

Yes and No...

Having made the transition from jeans, t-shirts and work boots/sneakers, to cotton or wool casual pants, collared shirts and appropriate leather footwear for every day, I can honestly say the cost doesn't have to be greater.

In fact I spend less for casual pants then I ever did for Levis, shirts acan be a bit more and the cost of shoes are about equal. The first sport coat I got cost less then a jeans jacket.

I believe whats more to the point here are values. Whats worn when, where and how.

Wearing jeans with t-shirt and boots does not make one a slob, how they are worn is the deciding factor.

Anthony

Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage ~ Theodore Roosevelt
This I agree with.

Avers

quote:Originally posted by tiger02

quote:Originally posted by mpcsb

Are you kidding me? Columbia students poorest of the poor, will never own their own homes? Trendy is one thing, but a North Face jacket (not the line KMart carries) will last every bit as long as a good suit--longer, if you take into account blizzard usage.

Tom

--------------------
Death is...whimsical...today

Tom,

I think the refernce was to population of Harlem (supposedly the poopers in NYC), not to Columbia students...

William

G

Guest-251750

I dont necessarily blame the flower children...most of them grew up to become conservative mainstream America...I blame it on this underlying notion that "everybody is special", and the fact that people actually believe it (I'm sure I'll get pounced on for that one)...anyway...people want to believe that the conventional rules of society don't apply to them, they are too good to dress up...

They'd rather be "comfortable", I never understood that one, people think that wearing stiff heavy jeans, and unbreathable synthetic sweatshirts is comfortable??? They think wearing some sweatshop made claude hoppers with some basketball players name on them is comfortable??? They think that an itchy old ball cap is comfortable???

They truly believe that they are rogues, flauting (sp?) convention in the name of this weird anti-status quo movement, they don't need to conform...they feel that they are too special and the norm is beneath them...the thing they fail to realise is that in all their catering to their own egos, they dont stop and see that every other Joe is thinking the exact same thing...they all think that they're the only one too good to fall in with the rest of the "boring, milquetoast, stuffed shirts"...the problem is they are slobs, pure and simple, they actually think there is nothing wrong with dressing the way they do, and in turn, doing a dis-service to their society by failing to show their fellow man the courtesy of at least trying to make an effort to be presentable, and what's worse than that, society actually accepts that...

...it's sad really...

[image]https://radio.weblogs.com/0119318/Screenshots/rose.jpg[/image]"See...What I'm gonna do is wear a shirt only once, and then give it right away to the laundry...eh?
A new shirt every day!!!"​
Well said. Total disrespect and lack of courtesy for society and your fellow man and no respect for yourself. No effort to look presentable. What does that say about you?

EclecticSr.

I dont necessarily blame the flower children...most of them grew up to become conservative mainstream America,
So said the The Gabba Goul

Fast forward 15 years, do you and he still think that? Flower children who became conservatives?
Resurrecting 15 year old threads. Ya know...... if I were to post as "Guest" I would engage in current threads.

Most here know what lead to "slob wear", I think.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.